Wedgy

Webcomics...?

I don't know if this necessarily counts as proper manga, but I really wanted to discuss webcomics. Mainly because I've spent an unhealthy amount of time reading them this week (staying up til 5am? Check.) They are so absurdly addicting. And some of them, at least, are anime-like in style, so I said why the heck not, let's see if anyone bites. Anybody else here indulge in this guilty pleasure?

So far, my very favourite has been Siren's Lament and Flow. Flow is already ended, but the story was so beautiful and the character development was nothing short of impressive. As for Siren's Lament, I can't get enough of it and it's made me laugh and cry and squeal and feel all sorts of feely feels and it's not even concluded yet. Also, I've never shipped so many ships in any single series before it, so I'll call it an accomplishment. (Imbeingsuchagirlimsorry.)

I've read quite a few more of them, but I'll resist for now. Some of you may know how long my posts can get after filling them with my endless stream of annoying consciousness. 

Edited by Wedgy

I read around 45 different comics on Webtoon. I’ve also finished quite a few completed series on there as well. Soooo yeah, I like webcomics 

1 hour ago, Kohloo said:

I read around 45 different comics on Webtoon. I’ve also finished quite a few completed series on there as well. Soooo yeah, I like webcomics 

Webtoon! Typically I'm not someone who downloads considerably "fun" stuff on my cell phone, because generally I don't use them. Webtoons has kept me reading on my phone late into the night and is soooo not good for me. :D I shouldn't be happy about that. Bad, bad Wedgy.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Wedgy said:

Webtoon! Typically I'm not someone who downloads considerably "fun" stuff on my cell phone, because generally I don't use them. Webtoons has kept me reading on my phone late into the night and is soooo not good for me. :D I shouldn't be happy about that. Bad, bad Wedgy.

I used to read a ton of different webcomics through their websites. I actually had to get an RSS Feed reader thigamajig to keep track of them all, because I was reading close to 100 different ones and always on the lookout for more. 

Now though, I hardly ever even open my laptop. So I fell out of webcomics for a long time. But then I stumbled across Webtoon and it’s just so awesome on the phone (I don’t even know what the desktop site looks like lmao). And once again, I’ve started getting tangled in webcomics again haha

• Friendly 1

20 minutes ago, Kohloo said:

I used to read a ton of different webcomics through their websites. I actually had to get an RSS Feed reader thigamajig to keep track of them all, because I was reading close to 100 different ones and always on the lookout for more. 

Now though, I hardly ever even open my laptop. So I fell out of webcomics for a long time. But then I stumbled across Webtoon and it’s just so awesome on the phone (I don’t even know what the desktop site looks like lmao). And once again, I’ve started getting tangled in webcomics again haha

Right? It's pretty impressive how well it actually works on your phone.
Got any series you think I should check out, Koh?

• Like 1

@Wedgy, one of my all-time favourites on there is Always Human by walkingnorth. It’s a completed series and well-worth the read. Another favourite is Space Boy by Stephen McCranie, currently ongoing. 

And because I can, the current list of what I read:

Boyfriend of The Dead, Nightmare Factory, Lunarbaboon, I Love Yoo, #Blessed, Nano List, Shard, A Messed Up Fairy Tale, Just For Kicks, Ecstasy Hearts, unOrdinary, Bluechair, Space Boy, Safely Endangered, Melvina’s Therapy, Lookism, Warning Label, My Boo, GOATZ, DICE, Tales of the Unusual, Super Secret, Rise from Ashes, Nothing Special, Adventures of God, Assassin Roommate, MOONBEARD, A Budgie’s Life, Tower of God, Wind Breaker, Big Jo, SubZero, My Dear Cold-Blooded King, Cheese in the Trap, Saphie: The One-Eyed Cat, Siren’s Lament, Midnight Rain, Let’s Play, Heroine Chic, Lackadaisy, Yumi’s Cells, Sarah’s Scribbles, Miss Abbott and the Doctor, Silent Horror

Too be honest I have never read a web-comic or at least never knowing it was on but I just looked at one and they seem pretty nice and I see the appeal to them this might become a pleasure but with some control.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kohloo said:

@Wedgy, one of my all-time favourites on there is Always Human by walkingnorth. It’s a completed series and well-worth the read. Another favourite is Space Boy by Stephen McCranie, currently ongoing. 

And because I can, the current list of what I read:

I will check those out for certain, totes magoats. (y) I also recognise a lot from that list of yours. I've been reading unOrdinary, and while it's extremely well done, I wish it were less predictable! Although the latest chapters have indeed managed to hook my interest, so I may change my mind about that later. 

Have you read Dragnarok? It's pretty badass, just on hiatus at the time being. Worth a read, though, I think. Dragons are awesome and stuff.

1 hour ago, Greeneyes said:

Too be honest I have never read a web-comic or at least never knowing it was on but I just looked at one and they seem pretty nice and I see the appeal to them this might become a pleasure but with some control.

Yes, come to the dark side, @Greeneyes:naughty: Hee hee hee...

• Like 1

@Wedgy, I tried reading Dragnorok but couldn’t quite get into it. I put it aside for now until it’s further progressed and I might restart it one day. I know what you mean about unOrdinary. The last few chapters though have been alright, piqued my interest anyway! I used to read God of Highschool, but I honestly can’t really stand it anymore. 

@Greeneyes, webcomics can be really good, but there’s a loooot to choose from. Also, if you’re one that’s swayed by art style I have a tip. If you stumble across a comic that you don’t like initially because of the art style? Take a peek at the most recent pages to see if the style changes to your liking at all. It’s very common (and quite fun I think) to see the art style change as the comic progresses (either from developing abilities, the author finding their style, or just simply for design choices). 

I have heard of web comics a bit but don't know much about them or where to read them, but I  also know some people are into them.

I like Johnny Wander!

They started out doing little slice of life comics but now they're doing full fledged stories. They're quite cute/charming. I've been following Yuko/Ananth for a long time so it's nice to see them getting more and more successful.

Posted (edited)

Revisiting this, because I am still hopelessly addicted to Webtoons.

• I LOVE YOO! 10/10 Would recommend. It is just fabulous and I adore Shin-ae! She's super sweet and it's so easy to relate to her. Team Q-Tip!
  • Days of Hana has also been one of my favourites. I can't get enough of the drama, and Hook is my baby. *-*
  • Sunny Side Skies is easy to get into. It's a cute Slice of Life and has yet to disappoint.
  • Let's Play is adorably geeky and I freaking love it. Lots of fun real-world references if you're a gamer and/or watch Twitch streams. 
  • The Dragon Tutor. Holy. Yes. It's so under-appreciated. Very interesting world-building and I'm a huge fan of the author's art style. 
  • Darbi is without a doubt 18+ but it's so bad it's good. It's on hiatus, however there's just something endearing about all these foul-mouthed, butt-kicking dinosaurs.
  • Eggnoid is a brilliant mix of romance, cuteness, drama, friendship, and mystery. Ignoring the whole 'boy who hatched out of an egg' thing, the characters are so very realistic it's hard not to appreciate that. 
  • Super Secret! Quite far along now, and took me a while to catch up, but it was so worth it. Overall good story. 
Edited by Wedgy

3 hours ago, Wedgy said:

• I LOVE YOO! 10/10 Would recommend. It is just fabulous and I adore Shin-ae! She's super sweet and it's so easy to relate to her. Team Q-Tip!
  • Days of Hana has also been one of my favourites. I can't get enough of the drama, and Hook is my baby. *-*
  • Sunny Side Skies is easy to get into. It's a cute Slice of Life and has yet to disappoint.
  • Let's Play is adorably geeky and I freaking love it. Lots of fun real-world references if you're a gamer and/or watch Twitch streams. 
  • The Dragon Tutor. Holy. Yes. It's so under-appreciated. Very interesting world-building and I'm a huge fan of the author's art style. 
  • Darbi is without a doubt 18+ but it's so bad it's good. It's on hiatus, however there's just something endearing about all these foul-mouthed, butt-kicking dinosaurs.
  • Eggnoid is a brilliant mix of romance, cuteness, drama, friendship, and mystery. Ignoring the whole 'boy who hatched out of an egg' thing, the characters are so very realistic it's hard not to appreciate that. 
  • Super Secret! Quite far along now, and took me a while to catch up, but it was so worth it. Overall good story. 

I just read one out of curiosity.. It was funny lol.

13 hours ago, Roxeg said:

I just read one out of curiosity.. It was funny lol.

Which one did you read? :0

21 hours ago, Wedgy said:

Aw yeah, team Q-Tip!!

Jeff is an ultra prick. 

The art of Let’s Play is addictive. 

I was on the fence about Eggnoid, but it’s really starting to draw me in now. 

Emma so cute <3

5 hours ago, Wedgy said:

Which one did you read? :0

One called 'God's adventures', it's a bit dark at the same time…

My absolute favorite webcomics I'm reading on Webtoon right now are I Love Yoo, Unordinary, and Days of Hana. Even though webcomics aren't really considered "manga" I still wish that some of them would get an anime adaption, they're just so good! *starts crying because I know it will never happen* 

21 hours ago, Wedgy said:

Team Q-Tip! Noooooo! Team Nol all the way!

I say we all band together and kill Jeff... Also, Hook is bae :D but I gotta say I think I love Haru more...

Hm... never read that one might want to check it out.

I love this one, I just wish it would get to the mushy romance stuff faster!

Sadly haven't read any of the other ones either :(

Have you ever read Orange Marmalade? It's by the same author who's writing Days of Hana and it's really good, I'm sure you'd love it since you like DOH. They're really similar but instead of werewolves it deals with vampires! It's a finished story so I literally went and read all of the chapters in one day, I just couldn't set it down! 

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

16 hours ago, Kohloo said:

Aw yeah, team Q-Tip!!

Jeff is an ultra prick. 

The art of Let’s Play is addictive. 

I was on the fence about Eggnoid, but it’s really starting to draw me in now. 

Emma so cute <3

Q-Tip is me IRL, just love that dude. :D And yes, I think it's safe to say we all hate Jeff. My inner feminist was screaming bloody murder when he was abusing those girls, and was no less outraged when it all clicked that he probably beats Hook as well, which is now shown to be true. Heartbreaking, really. D: I just know Jeff is gonna get it at the end of DoH, I knooooow it. The author needs to or else the fans will riot.

16 hours ago, Roxeg said:

One called 'God's adventures', it's a bit dark at the same time…

I haven't read that one yet, but I'll check it out now and see what that's about!

15 hours ago, Dekumyhero said:

Have you ever read Orange Marmalade? It's by the same author who's writing Days of Hana and it's really good, I'm sure you'd love it since you like DOH. They're really similar but instead of werewolves it deals with vampires! It's a finished story so I literally went and read all of the chapters in one day, I just couldn't set it down! 

Yes! I have seen OM, and I tried to read a few chapters however I just couldn't get into it nearly as much as DoH. Not that I thought it was bad. It could be I'm just not all into vampires, which I blame on a certain book by Poppy Z Brite which I read a long time ago... ruined vampires for me tbh. I'll probably revisit Orange Marmalade later on once some of my other comics settle down or are over. I read a lot of them currently and it's already keeping me up too late lol

• Like 1

I’ve read Orange Marmalade and liked it quite a bit

On 12/6/2017 at 6:59 AM, SleepyLeoulf said:

Anyone here recommend a web comic to read? 

Ghostblade is really good. It's by Chinese artist Wang Ling, also known as Wlop. Here's a link if you'd like to read it: https://tapas.io/series/GhostBlade 

It's still ongoing and is one of my favorites. The art style is gorgeous.