Xyro

Introduce yourself as an author!

Hey all! ^w^

Now, I know there are many threads like this, but I wanted to wake one more around the topic of writing style and the way you go about relaxing and preparing yourself for writing, along with the style in which you write things.

Now, before I begin myself, I would like to just say that this thread is completely open for discussion, since creative writing should be, as the name suggests, “Creative”. This means that no matter what style that somebody writes in, as long as there is a reason or rhyme behind it, then it's correct. There really should never be a “Right” way to write creatively, since that completely destroys the purpose of it being creative in the first place xD (This is also the problem with “Creative writing courses”, since they cover a lot, but they will always focus on trying to mould you into their vision as opposed to you're own. Find the style you like, and go with the flow ^^)

Anyway, in this thread I would like to cover a list of things, and I would like to see your own responses and ways you deal with this list. Here are the following headings:

• An introduction about yourself in the field of Writing (What kind of stories you like, whether or not you like to be called by a nickname specifically for you're writing, if you have ever been published, exedra)

• What kinds of stories, scripts or poems do you like producing (Music scripts is also a really lovely form of writing, so please do feel free to discuss this if you are writing songs.)

• In what manner do you lay out and structure your stories? (So format, the story structure itself, exedra)

• How do you generate story ideas?

• How do you relax in-between writing?

• What are your hopes for the future? (So how you want to develop, or what you want to improve on)

• Your own work (Feel free to link your own work. It would be so nice to see everyone's creative flair in this discussion :D)

Now, I have no rules about the lengths in which you may all go in detail about your creative styles of writing and story development. In fact, the more the merrier, as it’s not only fascinating to see everyone's approach in the field of writing, but it's also helpful for myself and anybody else who wants to get into the writing scene.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I shall start by introducing myself.

So, for those who don't know me, the name is Peacock,(Formally known as Xyro, which is also my author name.) I have been in the writing scene itself for about three years (I started officially when I was sixteen, but I used to do allot of poetry back when I was fifteen. I am eighteen now), and it's mostly all I do, since I find writing in it's finest form to be the most fantastic thing ever! When it comes to stories I actually find myself enjoying a variety of themes. I don't really have one specific genre I prefer, although I do find myself reading Science fiction novels allot more then any other genre. While I may not be a published author, I do hope to create a story series I can work on, less for the job of becoming an author, and more for the idea of continually developing a series that people can come back to and enjoy.

As it stands, I prefer creating large and detailed stories. I have never been able to write short stories, since I find myself being unable to develop something without thinking “ But what if X happened, and what does Y mean in this world…” and so on. Regardless, I try my hand at working on short songs and poetry that I can implement into larger stories.

When it comes to structuring a story, I used to find it a relatively hard struggle. At times you get unsure about the length in which a story should be set, and you otherwise begin to create a structure which you can't fathom as to whether or not it will stand tall or crumble. However, I now format my own writing in a personalised format, that looks something like this:

Lifting her head, I was finally able to see her hideous face, rotting and putrid like nothing I had ever seen before.

Completely paralyzed in fear, I stared into her eyes as they began to glow bright red.

Ajaxe Morgan: (Stunned in fear, jaw chattering) ‘M...m...m...margarita?’

Holding up the shaker, all I could think about in my head was how stupid I was, offering a drink to a freaking ghost.

Expecting my death, I was surprised to see the confused look wash over the ghosts face.

Ghost: (Clearly contemplating, placing her hand on her chin) ‘You know what, it's been a long evening. Sure!’

It's a pretty simplified and straightforward script-like layout, which allows me to create an easy to read format for the reader. I also tend to use a font size of around 13, just because having larger but non intrusive sentences seems to provide readers with ease and fluidity in reading.

Story structure itself, I tend to work on a continuation formula. So while there is an overarching structure to it, it's mostly shrouded and fits within the moment. In short, the plot-line is in place, but the story-line fits the moment, so it tends to stay relatively close to the reader as they progress. This also allows me to switch in-between first and third person perspectives, since the narrator is the person that the reader is following, so background characters and event tend to be written from the past experiences of the main character.  I mostly like to do this to create a better effect of immersion, but that's completely debatable :3

When it comes to generating story ideas, I like to create hybrids of write-ups and mood-boards. Now, before I go into this any further, I would like to give a quick suggestion to those who already haven't, but you really really should catalogue and section each individual idea. Not only does this keep ideas neat and tidy, but it also allows you to access information quickly and easily. While this may seem like an obvious thing, sectioning off folders is such an easy to do thing, but it helps out allot in the long run.

Anyway, what I like to do is categorise mood-boards and write-ups into relevant sections (Such as Groups/factions, Main characters, species, Story Law, texture examples, weapons/ devices and worlds/settings) just as an example, let's use slimes as an example, since I'm working on them at the moment. What I do is create small mood-boards for a simple visual aid of what the creatures would look like, then I add a detailed description on the side in order to give more detail in how i would depict them. This method allows me to simply look at a mood-board, then I am able to implement the ideas within any story I try to create, as I have something to help guide me within writing. Doing this also allows you to have something to write when you are out of main story ideas, since you are able to just write a few sentences about something that you can then implement into a story later down the line. And if you don't like it, then it's not really a waste of time either, since it gets the brain ticking for ideas :D

While relaxing may seem like a simple principle, It's a hard thing to discuss, since most of the time it's hard to tell how individuals will react to specific things under specific circumstances. So while one person can easily sink into their pillow and relax to soft music, others would find that distracting.

However, while I can't tell you how to relax exactly, I can leave you with a quote from Alan Watts, which you may interpret in your own way:

"The secret to all this is not to be afraid of fear. When you can really allow yourself to be afraid and you don't resist the experience of fear, you are truly beginning to master fear. But when you refuse to be afraid, you are resisting fear and that simply sets up a vicious circle of being afraid of fear and being afraid of being afraid of fear and so on, and that's what we call "worry". "Worry" is simply a chronic condition and people will worry and worry no matter what happens. When one possible threat is exterminated, they will immediately discover another because "worry" is an infinitely skinned onion" and you can go on and on and on because the moment you see you reduce the size of the onion and you get your worry down to about this (gestures a small size) suddenly your whole sense of distance and size changes and because you're looking so intently at this little onion, it fills your whole field of vision and is once again a big one."

My hopes for the future are simple: I want to work within an indie development party as a narrative designer, however on the side I would love to work on my own writing projects, as well as organising speeches and lectures for writing. While I know I’m nowhere near good enough to teach others about the in-depth art of writing, I would love to learn to teach and help others with writing when I can ^^

Anyway, While I won't link any of my work now, I will be sure to share my story once the prologue is done. I also want to say thank you kindly for reading this, and I look forward to seeing everybody else's responses ^w^

Peacock.

(P.S: If anyone is interested, I am more then happy to go into detail about anything writing related. If anyone needs any form of tutorial or help, then please PM me, and I will be glad to help. I am also happy to answer any kind of questions, as well as reading over anyone's work :D)

• Like 1

I am Greeneyes as it says to the left, I go by xk when writing stories I have one called Estatia which has about 7 chapters and another I actually just started with the first chapter almost done...

I like fantasy magic stories more then anything but mystery comes in second I have not written a mystery story yet but I am planing on in the future month or so.  I normally get ideas from just pondering while at school, falling asleep or just sitting down and I get ideas form y dreams that I implement into stories which is pretty interesting... I write about 500-750 words after I eat dinner then take a You-tube or anime break and go back for another 500-750 then after that if I feel it ill stop or continue but I have to at least get 1000 before I stop...

I want to expand my vocabulary and improve my grammar greatly it sucks beyond all comparison.. I will soon link my newest story after at the vary least Ch 1. is done... We should make a publishing spot in the club or unless I retarded and missed it....

9 hours ago, Greeneyes said:

I am Greeneyes as it says to the left, I go by xk when writing stories I have one called Estatia which has about 7 chapters and another I actually just started with the first chapter almost done...

I like fantasy magic stories more then anything but mystery comes in second I have not written a mystery story yet but I am planing on in the future month or so.  I normally get ideas from just pondering while at school, falling asleep or just sitting down and I get ideas form y dreams that I implement into stories which is pretty interesting... I write about 500-750 words after I eat dinner then take a You-tube or anime break and go back for another 500-750 then after that if I feel it ill stop or continue but I have to at least get 1000 before I stop...

I want to expand my vocabulary and improve my grammar greatly it sucks beyond all comparison.. I will soon link my newest story after at the vary least Ch 1. is done... We should make a publishing spot in the club or unless I retarded and missed it....

Good point actually. I think what would be best is to just make a new topic for your own stories. That way, everyone can have a topic regarding their own written pieces.

But yeah, i look forward to reading your work greeneyes! ^w^

• Like 1

• An introduction about yourself in the field of Writing (What kind of stories you like, whether or not you like to be called by a nickname specifically for you're writing, if you have ever been published, exedra)

Hullo, I'm Mallow/Marshmallow/Soulless/whatever-you'd-like-to-call-me! I've officially been writing for a whole year now, since I was thirteen. I'd like to say I'm decent at what I do, being that I'm very young (fourteen, now!). I enjoy writing romance, mainly rom-coms that aren't very cliche (at least I aim for them not to be), as well as fiction, free verse poetry, and comedy. I hope to publish a few books someday, perhaps making writing a full-time job in the future. 

• What kinds of stories, scripts or poems do you like producing (Music scripts is also a really lovely form of writing, so please do feel free to discuss this if you are writing songs.)

Like I said before, I enjoy rom-coms, or romance in general. I aim to make sure that my main leads aren't cardboard cut outs of the same couples over and over again (ex. A bad boy paired with a good girl), as well as making sure that the plots of my stories are just as interesting. I enjoy writing fiction, mainly because you can write whatever you'd like and create worlds that do not yet exist, as well as writing free-verse poems! One day, I hope to be able to write songs as well ^^

• In what manner do you lay out and structure your stories? (So format, the story structure itself, exedra)

Well, first I block out my stories, which is just laying some ground rules and important events. Then I break them into four quarters, which I then break down into a chapter where I start the writing process.

I listen to songs as well as browse forums and ask my friends about random things. Sometimes, I like going out for a breathe of fresh air with a warm cup of tea in hand as I let my mind drift off to God-knows-where. Other times, I free-write, which is basically taking out a pen and paper and just.. writing! (It's a very good way to relieve writer's block as well).

SinceI'm an avid reader, I'll bury myself in a book with a cup of tea next to me, or take a nap. Sometimes I play with my dog, or practice my music, or sew. I like to keep busy.  

• What are your hopes for the future? (So how you want to develop, or what you want to improve on)

I hope to one day publish at least one book! I aim to improve on my dialogue and use of subtexts and symbolism in my stories,  as well as experimenting with different emotions. I hope to figure out how to get people attached to my characters and to one day be able to write suspenseful scenes without it sounding too cliche. 

• Your own work (Feel free to link your own work. It would be so nice to see everyone's creative flair in this discussion :D)

MMMMMmmMMm... Maybe when I feel more confident, haha xD 

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

On 10/29/2017 at 11:39 PM, Xyro said:

• What are your hopes for the future? (So how you want to develop, or what you want to improve on)

• Hey there, I'm Potato2006/Noob2006. I don't really know from what time I started writing stories. All I remember is that ever since I was four years old, I would read and write stories. I wrote stories about fairies or princesses from the age of four to eight. I started writing SECRET romance stories (my parents would KILL me if they saw my stories) ever since I was nine. I've been writing romance fanfictions from the age of nine too, but I never posted them online. My favorite writing genre is, you guessed it, romance. I have never published a real story, since I never finish writing a book.
  • Like I said (or typed) earlier, I love producing romance short stories and scripts. I have tried writing songs back when I was six, and made two of them. I wrote the lyrics and composed the tune. One of them went something like this:

Sometimes I wonder, how it feels to be like other girls,

Live in a simple life like other girls,

And jump really hi-igh like other girls.

Feel free to laugh.:D The other one just repeated the phrase "Which dress, should I wear (wear)?

• I mostly start with a sentence that sounds good. For example: "I looked at the night sky.". Then I proceed to add some adjectives that make it sound good. For example: "Billions of stars glittered and twinkled.". I also add a bit of the main idea of the story in the beginning so that the reader can get interested in the story. For example: "It seemed so majestic and breathtaking, but to me it seemed like a bomb ticking away, leaving less and less time to live.". I dunno what else to say (or type).:D
  • The stories just come to me. When I sit down to write, they just come to me like BOOM! START WRITING RIGHT NOW!
  • In order to relax in-between writing I mostly just get up and beg mom to give me a cup of tea (I'm not allowed in the kitchen or make something even though I can cook very well.) with some chocolate. It helps my mind to relax. I enjoy drinking the Earl Grey flavor and the bitter green tea. For some reason it calms my nerves and helps me get more ideas. And helps me poop a lot.:$ Just kidding!
  • I hope to improve in the "patience" area. I don't have much patience, and for this reason I cannot make a book longer than four thousand, seven hundred and nine words. 
  • If I want to paste my own work here, I'm going to need to prop open my laptop, copy it into my pen-drive and then paste it here. Too much work, and besides I have other work to do. Gomen!:(

Anime Forums

A unique community of fans from around the world, who gather to share their fandom and love of anime, manga, gaming, fanart and at the cornerstone of it all, Japanese culture!

Take a moment to join us today and you'll have access to our member clubs and events too. Come join in the fun and become a part of our community.
insta-1

twit