Does anime help you to make more friends or make your friendship stronger?

Mirror311

2 minutes ago, Mirror311 said:

Just as the question suggests, does anime help you to make more friends? Does it help you to make your friendships stronger? Does it have the other impact on you in terms of friendship?

I find that it's nice to have common ground with people for sure, but in the end I don't really think it helps all that much. its more like a segway into a conversation with people more then an actual bond. If that makes sense ^w^

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 10/31/2017 at 3:56 AM, Peacock said:

I find that it's nice to have common ground with people for sure, but in the end I don't really think it helps all that much. its more like a segway into a conversation with people more then an actual bond. If that makes sense ^w^

I agree.

On 10/31/2017 at 8:51 AM, Mirror311 said:

Does anime help you to make more friends?

In my experience, it has. Not anime directly, but I've made many friends on forums such as this and others because of anime.

I've had people approach me before because my largest backpack has the Fairy Tail emblem on it and be all "Wow your bag is cool! You like Fairy Tail?" and that's always super nice :)

If by your question you mean do I learn how to make friends through anime, then I'd say not personally. But for some people, sure :D

Does it help you to make your friendships stronger?

Sure! Me and my ex-girlfriend spent many nights watching anime together and that sure made our friendship stronger.

Does it have any other impacts on you in terms of friendship?

Not sure what you mean by this, but as a whole, anime does often strengthen and introduce friendship that wouldn't have been as strong/existed without.

As with any hobby, it leads you to people who follow the same hobby.

Anime is no exception :)

On 10/31/2017 at 2:51 PM, Mirror311 said:

Just as the question suggests, does anime help you to make more friends?

Well, in real life, there aren't really anime fans/otakus where I live. They think of anime as childish cartoons. But here in AF I've made a whole lot of friends through anime.

Does it help you to make your friendships stronger? 

Yes, my friendship with all my friends here in AF becomes stronger through anime.

Does it have the other impact on you in terms of friendship?

In real life, people call me childish for watching anime as they think of it as childish cartoons and they tell me to grow up. They all whisper about me being a kid when I'm not around. But I still do have a loyal friend who loved anime after I requested her (read: forced her) to watch the anime Dance With Devils. But here in AF I don't think it had any effect other than making our friendship stronger.

Friends - Yes Anime has allowed me to have some good friends and it is actually nice to have a nice thing to talk to each other about.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont know if anime actually helps a person make friends or not but it does act as a catalyst to the construction of a stable friendship on the first encounter. Coz if u meet someone who just so happens to watch the same anime that u like it does help to bridge the distance between 2 individuals through common interests..........and i think that depending on the anime u watch i does show the kind of personality a person has thus knowing what to expect from a person a bit. So just talking about anime can help getting used to a person really quickly coz of this thus making a friend a bit easier.........atleast thats what i think coz thats how i sorat made friends both online and offline!

• 2 weeks later...

I've gained a lot of friends online because of anime. If it weren't for my interest in it I wouldn't have stumbled upon my first forum. :)

In the question of anime being an instrument to make friendship stronger, I haven't experienced it actually. I fairly think that the strength of friendship isn't directly influenced by animes maybe because I don't depend too much on anime to make my relationships stronger with other people. It's true that you can create strong bonds with people by watching anime with them but in my case, I love the idea of watching anime as a precious time for me to actually build walls and just be alone because there are times when I choose to keep things just to myself and only for myself :)

Well I never had much luck finding friends during school and after who were into anime like myself. So I couldn't say in real life that I found friends or it made our bond stronger since we're both into anime. Online however I met some people on and off for a period of time and since I joining AF there is A LOT more people here who are into anime than any other forum I've been on, in my opinion anyway. I'm pretty shy and quite mostly also in in real life too, but I am slowly making some friends on here so I guess finding people who are into the same thing as I am is there and we can chat about it more and also get what each other is saying since we like the same thing. I've seen a lot of anime over the years some I finished some not yet but trying to get back into it more since it's always been a passion of mine and something I enjoyed. Making our bond stronger, I guess it would bring my friends and I closer together not sure since I only have a few and few people I trust and are close too. 

13 hours ago, Dojikko said:

I have a social anxiety disorder, so it's difficult for me to get close to people IRL. But like many others have said already, it's nice to be able to find people with common interests on the internet, at least.

I have social anxiety myself and it can be pretty hard for me most days, but I am getting better though managing it so you can too. :hot:

But yeah on the internet it is nice since you can find places like this who share the same interests as you. But it is also better to find people in person I think in my opinion. Though where I live sadly there isn't or I have not met none yet. But who knows things can happen. Have a wonderful rest of the day~

Mghkjt9.gif.3c419274ce0f271285e28452d23fae1c.gif

• Friendly 1

10 hours ago, SleepyLeoulf said:

I have social anxiety myself and it can be pretty hard for me most days, but I am getting better though managing it so you can too. :hot:

But yeah on the internet it is nice since you can find places like this who share the same interests as you. But it is also better to find people in person I think in my opinion. Though where I live sadly there isn't or I have not met none yet. But who knows things can happen. Have a wonderful rest of the day~

Mghkjt9.gif.3c419274ce0f271285e28452d23fae1c.gif

Thanks for the encouragement! You seem like a very kind person~ Let's both do our best!

• Like 1

On 10/31/2017 at 4:51 AM, Mirror311 said:

Just as the question suggests, does anime help you to make more friends? Does it help you to make your friendships stronger? Does it have the other impact on you in terms of friendship?

I once asked a survey for my game shows about if people discovered the anime world on their own or through friends. This seems like the next logical question.

In my case, though I don't have a lot of anime under my belt (but I'm trying when I can steal moments), I was brought into it by a few friends I already have, one of which led me to my first anime con 10 years ago this past weekend, and the beginning of my presenting game shows at cons the year after. I've continued to make friends through those games because it's helped me get some interesting stories from the people and contestants I meet, both about their fandom and life in general. And I wouldn't have met 3 people who I consider my best friends today without it.

Say, Mirror, would it be OK if I added this question to our next wave of Card Sharks surveys? I really like this and want to bring it to the masses.

• Geano locked this topic