Made my first VN - "Daisuki Da Yo - In spring"[slice of Life][GXB][Otome]

katyC

I'm a Ren'Py newbie and a noob at game creating. But I put my heart and soul my first game, it's a simple free otome game without complex storyplots or branching...It may not have great CG but hope you'll like it. ^_^

In the story, Midori Aichi is an ordinary girl who had a crush on Saito sempai...then the story plots of the VN varies depends on what kind of route you have, you might expereince tangled love triangle, or romance comedy with tsundere sempai....

(BTW even if Midori likes Saito intially, you can choose to pair her up with Kou)

Daisuki Da Yo -In spring

Statistics:

The game contains 612 dialogue blocks, containing 4,090 words and 22,610

characters, for an average of 6.7 words and 37 characters per block.

The game contains 27 menus, 39 images, and 12 screens.

Estimate playtime: 15-20 min

some screenshots ^_^:

59e216fa573cf_file.phpid28983.png.0a6597e6b70e9d3a97d8847c89979a3f.png

59e216fa5a10e_file.phpid28989.png.fe230b71d5607d98c649e7f5a03d8a86.png

59e216fa5c7e4_file.phpid28984.png.9e16d81b95dc181ddd65fee5a1484fc8.png

59e216fa5edff_file.phpid28988.png.408917be15e5e137217916e31d1a1c7d.png

Download Links:

(Win) http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/download/file.php?id=29042

(Linux) http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/download/file.php?id=29040

(Mac) http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/download/file.php?id=29041

It's my first renpy game and it's quite short and simple, and I would love to hear your feedbacks on it. It's okay to be honest and harsh if you're going to give me suggestions. ^_^

Aww....I'm so nervous..>.<

A little guide to different endings of my game:

http://mitsukeru73.blogspot.com/2014/07 ... pring.html

Game thread at Lemmasoft:

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27545&p=333162#p333162'>http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27545&p=333162#p333162

Creative Common:

You are free to

Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format

Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material

Under the following terms:

Give appropriate credit and provide a link to the game's lemmasoft thread: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27545&p=333162#p333162 or http://games.renpy.org/game/daisuki-da-yo.shtml

• Like 3

Would it be okay if I stream this game sometime and allow viewers to also download the game? c:

Well, it would be totally fine if you do that. onion-cup

There is someone who made a walkthough video of my game, I'm not gonna post the video here because that would spoil the game, I'll just post the link here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq_XBlYxB1g

btw you can find my comments under the video too (But ssshh..he doesn't know I'm the maker of that game) The video is very..random..and everyone is very out of their characters(but I'm not mad at all cuz the video is truly hilarious)...so don't watch it if you haven't play the game yet...

Considering there aren't that many good VN's out there, especially English ones, I jumped into this thing with criticism radars on max ^^ I was also really looking forward to it. There were a lot of spelling and grammar errors, I'm guessing you didn't collaborate with a team. When dealing with projects like this, though it appears this was just a starter, you want to have a team at the ready. You need writers, editors, story board artists, artists, the game dev, and a small team for quality assurance. I'm looking at what this is now, which is a fun little game (not to mention cute) that's an alright play. I'm thinking about what this could be given the time and combined effort of a full team and ... there's a difference.

Basically, what you have is great having done it yourself. It's excellent for being a beginner project. Now what you need to do is get a team together to work on your next project and I guarantee you'll see if a difference.

I did leave one thing out when I was listing off the team, voice actors. They aren't necessary, especially in VN's, however, I bet dimes to dollars that a voiced VN would receive much greater attention. Something else to think about.

It was fun, katy ^^ It definitely shows that you're off to a great start! Keep up the good work.

• Useful 2

Considering there aren't that many good VN's out there, especially English ones, I jumped into this thing with criticism radars on max ^^

Criticism radar on MAX....*perparing myself for it*

I was also really looking forward to it. There were a lot of spelling and grammar errors, I'm guessing you didn't collaborate with a team. When dealing with projects like this, though it appears this was just a starter, you want to have a team at the ready. You need writers, editors, story board artists, artists, the game dev, and a small team for quality assurance. I'm looking at what this is now, which is a fun little game (not to mention cute) that's an alright play. I'm thinking about what this could be given the time and combined effort of a full team and ... there's a difference.

Before releasing the game, I did try to proof read it for grammar and spelling errors, but reading all the scripts and codings are just...T^T giving me a big headache. onion-nervous

Although the game is super short and simple for a VN, the script is ennormous. Partly because I use flag variables instead of love points. onion-stunned

And I didn't ask for help from the proofreaders at Lemmasoft..because as I said before, I use flag variables instead of love points, which means a write a route for each choices instead of let player get endings from points they earn, which is really dumb.(but I still does it :P)onion-roll

Basically, what you have is great having done it yourself. It's excellent for being a beginner project. Now what you need to do is get a team together to work on your next project and I guarantee you'll see if a difference.

I did leave one thing out when I was listing off the team, voice actors. They aren't necessary, especially in VN's, however, I bet dimes to dollars that a voiced VN would receive much greater attention. Something else to think about.

It was fun, katy ^^ It definitely shows that you're off to a great start! Keep up the good work.

Aw thank you for your advices nya~~~onion-run

I'm currently working on a new project, but sadly I can't collaborate with a team cuz the school is gonna start soon and I can't be sure that I have a stable schudule for collaboration.

Btw what ending did you got nya~~~

• Optimistic 1

Btw what ending did you got nya~~~

I got Saito's brother, can't remember his name.

If you proofread everything before you actually start developing the game, it's as easy as transferring the text. Those were just tips for if you planned on making a bigger, more in depth game.

• Useful 1

I got Saito's brother, can't remember his name.

If you proofread everything before you actually start developing the game, it's as easy as transferring the text. Those were just tips for if you planned on making a bigger, more in depth game.

Yeah, that's a really useful tip...I never thought of that ..onion-wall

Maybe I should write the script in Word doc in screenplay format, showing the dialogue,scenes. Then paste them and edit them in the text editor. That sounds more easy.onion-envy

I'm currently working on 2 otome projects nya~~onion-cup

one is "Daisuki Da Yo- In summer", still gonna be a short, simple game. (estimate play time 15-20min)

Another is "Memento Petals", it's gonna be much longer and more in depth. I want to create really nice CGs for it. (There isn't any proper CG in Daisuki Da Yo series.)onion-nervous

My dream is that one day I would make games as good as "Starry Sky","Ozmafia" or "Diablik Lovers".onion-envy

• Agree 1

Yeah, that's a really useful tip...I never thought of that ..onion-wall

Maybe I should write the script in Word doc in screenplay format, showing the dialogue,scenes. Then paste them and edit them in the text editor. That sounds more easy.onion-envy

I'm currently working on 2 otome projects nya~~onion-cup

one is "Daisuki Da Yo- In summer", still gonna be a short, simple game. (estimate play time 15-20min)

Another is "Memento Petals", it's gonna be much longer and more in depth. I want to create really nice CGs for it. (There isn't any proper CG in Daisuki Da Yo series.)onion-nervous

My dream is that one day I would make games as good as "Starry Sky","Ozmafia" or "Diablik Lovers".onion-envy

If you need a writer/pre-reader/proofreader for Memento Petals let me know. I'm not great at drawing but I do love literature. I can't promise I'd catch everything but I could catch a lot.

Were you thinking of using voice actors in Memento Petals or just text?

• Optimistic 1

If you need a writer/pre-reader/proofreader for Memento Petals let me know. I'm not great at drawing but I do love literature. I can't promise I'd catch everything but I could catch a lot.

Were you thinking of using voice actors in Memento Petals or just text?

onion-cupVoice actors ~~~

Because I really want to take this project seriously nya ^_^ I want to put my best effort in the project and I really want the game to be high qualityonion-cool, so I'll use voice actors, especially for the male characters(it's an otome game afterall, so male characters are very importantonion-envy )

I'll let you know when I finish the script for some routes in Memento Petals, Fufufufu~~I have a proofreader nya~~so happy~~onion-run

• Optimistic 1

• 4 years later...

(IK this is such an old topic but I still gotta say...:)

I've been looking for quite some time to find a beginner project someone has made, I love seeing people progress over time and just playing through something they put their heart and soul into. I'm not sure where @katyC went, but I'll see if I can find amything after I play through this. 

(According to the review, it's not going to be superb, but it's still super heartwarming to me ^^)

7 minutes ago, rd7 said:

(IK this is such an old topic but I still gotta say...:)

I've been looking for quite some time to find a beginner project someone has made, I love seeing people progress over time and just playing through something they put their heart and soul into. I'm not sure where @katyC went, but I'll see if I can find amything after I play through this. 

(According to the review, it's not going to be superb, but it's still super heartwarming to me ^^)

Yes. I feel the exact same towards a lot of things. Specially around stuff that defines art. For example: Writing, Game Making, Drawing, Painting, etc... Seeing someone's progression makes me feel like it's possible to keep getting better at whatever you are doing. That's why I look at so many YouTube videos about making "stuff" (music, painting, etc.) even if I want to be a writer, looking at someone else work is quite heartwarming. The same happens when I read certain Light Novels made by really young authors, and their next work feels better.

... I know this has nothing to do with the actual post. But reading your answer made me want to comment about it. (lol)