Open Club  ·  174 members

Mystery Club

Your Favorite Mystery Anime

Mazino

What was your very first Mystery Anime you've seen and which one you've watched over the years would you consider your unbeatable favorite?

To me: Hyouka, Erased,Tokyo Ghoul and Durarara!

Hyouka is not an action based mystery anime but honestly one of the best mystery animes out there right now. I'd agree adding Detective Conan but i haven't been able to keep up with all the episodes and dropped it back then. 

Tokyo Ghoul and Durarara are both good shows, couldn't identify them as Mystery animes because they're very action based imo but added them into the list. I liked Erased but things were too obvious between the 5-7 episodes even though it was one of the best animes in 2016 if we judge by the huge popularity.

So what's your opinion to all of this? Write below and let us know.

Edited by Muco

• Mazino pinned this topic

For anime, I would say it is Detective Conan hands down.

It may not be the best show out there, or even that good of a mystery series, but there are good cases and one that I could definitely consider part of the mystery genre.

I have seen Hyouka, and the cases there were quite boring, no matter which kind of era of mystery you are going for, as none of the cases were really that interesting.

Gosick, on the other hand, had some cases that were interesting enough to get into, but ended up becoming terrible enough towards the end that it would only stand out well in Doyle’s time, but I would still kind of add it to the list.

Erased though is a series that does not belong in the mystery genre. The anime starts out like it is one, but the criminal is obvious early on and is the only suspect, so it is more of a thriller, as opposed to a true mystery, where the culprit’s alibi must be broken, as they are already obvious, or a different style (e.g. whodunit).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I saw Hyouka mentioned above.. liked that one.  Last episode was a bit off, but overall it was fun.  Wish I could find it streaming somewhere again.

Not sure what exactly is considered "mystery" here so I'll just mention that I also liked Shinrei Tantei Yakumo (the end theme, Missing You is a favorite of mine ever since).  Higashi no Eden (East of Eden)Another was more horror - nothing like starting off with an umbrella through the throat O.o - but I liked that, and Tasogare Otome x Amnesia too while I'm at it. How about Suzumiya Haruhi (esp. "The Disappearance of ..." - almost made up for the "endless eight" arc.. almost)?  Or even Mushishi?

Sorry, not into Detective Conan. :)

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Mazino unpinned this topic