Hey Everyone!

Beocat

So, thought I'd introduce myself.  I used to be on another similar forum but I think it shut down around a year ago and I just finally decided to get back into an anime forum again.

I love Space Operas and a healthy smattering of just about everything else in anime as well.  I'm not terribly picky as long as the story is good.  I have noticed over the years how my taste in anime has changed somewhat.  I play a lot of video games, mainly RPGs, though I've been focusing on anime more in the past few years as my spare time has dwindled. 

I also SCUBA dive when not watching anime or playing video games and enjoy long bike rides along the sound.  Glad to be here and able to chat with other like-minded people again.  

Thanks.  It's good to be back in an anime community again. 

A good question....  I love the Atelier Series, the Tales Series, Shin Megami series, Wizardry and Okage.  Anime-wise, I'd say Crest/Banner of the Stars, Log Horizon, Another, Ah! My Goddess, Yona of the Dawn and Snow White with the Red Hair.  There are so many to choose from, but that covers a good range.

2 hours ago, Beocat said:

Thanks.  It's good to be back in an anime community again. 

A good question....  I love the Atelier Series, the Tales Series, Shin Megami series, Wizardry and Okage.  Anime-wise, I'd say Crest/Banner of the Stars, Log Horizon, Another, Ah! My Goddess, Yona of the Dawn and Snow White with the Red Hair.  There are so many to choose from, but that covers a good range.

I like both Another and Yona as well, but I am more of a fan of the original novel of Another. Have you read?

I also recognize some of those RPGs, though I have not played them. Have you played Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy Legend II? I never finished the latter, as a hated turned based RPGs back then, but due to how games are not so easy to play I like them and have beaten DQ 1-6.

I don't read much Manga (or novels from anime). I have a huge collection of books already and anime for me is more of what I do when I'm not feeling reading, video games, or anything else. Kind of how I like some superheroes but don't read the comics. I've read a few novels from anime, but that is a rarity in and of itself. 

I have played DQ8..and never will play another again. I was very frustrated with the switch on the villains midway and the DBZ-esque "fighting the bad guy 5 times because he said he was at full strength but was really just toying with you" gets annoying after they've done it once already. I finished it off and shelved it forever thereafter.  Turn based or real time,  I like them both. I just can't stand pointless battles (especially if the pointless battles might last 60 minutes or more each).  The Tales series has some frustrating quirks too (I'm still mad that some of those characters can only fight well if fighting against instead of with me) but I suppose some things are a bit more forgivable than others.

29 minutes ago, Beocat said:

I don't read much Manga (or novels from anime). I have a huge collection of books already and anime for me is more of what I do when I'm not feeling reading, video games, or anything else. Kind of how I like some superheroes but don't read the comics. I've read a few novels from anime, but that is a rarity in and of itself. 

I have played DQ8..and never will play another again. I was very frustrated with the switch on the villains midway and the DBZ-esque "fighting the bad guy 5 times because he said he was at full strength but was really just toying with you" gets annoying after they've done it once already. I finished it off and shelved it forever thereafter.  Turn based or real time,  I like them both. I just can't stand pointless battles (especially if the pointless battles might last 60 minutes or more each).  The Tales series has some frustrating quirks too (I'm still mad that some of those characters can only fight well if fighting against instead of with me) but I suppose some things are a bit more forgivable than others.

That's too bad. The Another novel did a few things better than the anime, and was not much of gore fest.

As for DQ 8, that seems understandable, since 4-6 were heading in that direction, but the first three were pretty enjoyable, with 3 being the best. 3 has a different final boss at the end, unlike 1, but they did not have the countless forms that the bosses of 4-6 did.

Yona of the Dawn and Snow White With The Red Hair are wonderful! I've seen Another a couple times now, and it's really good, though the ending always freaks me out! I actually just rewatched Another for Halloween. Brycec, I'll take your word on the Another novel and try to read it someday! I doubt the library would have it, though.

I'm also a gamer, but a broke one, so the number of games I've played is pretty slim. :P But, my sister is hoping to get an X-Box soon, so I'm excited to have a new gaming platform to borrow, as well as Overwatch! I've seen so much of Overwatch, I really want to try it. Currently, I mostly play PC games, Skyrim and Minecraft.

Also, speaking of Yona, I need another season! 

7 hours ago, Vivi Hyuuga said:

Probably not going to happen any time soon. Last I saw, there was OVA, but the manga is the only way to get more content. I think it does need another season too though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brycec said:

Probably not going to happen any time soon. Last I saw, there was OVA, but the manga is the only way to get more content. I think it does need another season too though.

Agreed. I'm remaining hopeful, but also being realistic about it. I'm in the process of getting the manga to read through at the library, but I have to get them as an interlibrary loan so it will take awhile to read all of them (since I want to read it legally). 

3 minutes ago, Vivi Hyuuga said:

Agreed. I'm remaining hopeful, but also being realistic about it. I'm in the process of getting the manga to read through at the library, but I have to get them as an interlibrary loan so it will take awhile to read all of them (since I want to read it legally). 

Yeah, that is not the best way to do it, but that is good that your are taking advantages of the libraries. I mainly buy the digital copies of the volumes (running out of space for print copies) and I also do reviews on the volumes. I have preordered volume 9 at this moment.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vivi Hyuuga said:

Yona of the Dawn and Snow White With The Red Hair are wonderful! I've seen Another a couple times now, and it's really good, though the ending always freaks me out! I actually just rewatched Another for Halloween. Brycec, I'll take your word on the Another novel and try to read it someday! I doubt the library would have it, though.

I'm also a gamer, but a broke one, so the number of games I've played is pretty slim. :P But, my sister is hoping to get an X-Box soon, so I'm excited to have a new gaming platform to borrow, as well as Overwatch! I've seen so much of Overwatch, I really want to try it. Currently, I mostly play PC games, Skyrim and Minecraft.

The first time I watched Yona and Snow White, my husband was on a week-long business trip and I was checking out new series on Hulu.  I can't remember why I picked Yona first, the artwork may have made me think "is this a reverse harem?", but I binged-watched it after work and was so happy I found it.  Even called up my best friend and went on a 5 minute excited voicemail over how awesome it was and how she would totally love it.  That voicemail convinced her to try it and I converted another person to loving that series (she's read the manga as well).  Then I was looking at the "summary" info of other anime and thought "wonder what that one's about." with Snow White. It read A pharmacist with red hair........ and it had my complete attention (I am a pharmacist.....with red hair....haha).  I was relieved that it was a good anime, and loved it.  So happy that season two came out pretty quickly on top of that. 

If you liked Another, try watching Future Diary.  It's weird and creepy in all the right ways.  Definitely leaves an impression. The ending of Another didn't freak me out...but I can say that I stopped using umbrellas for several months after watching it.  >_>

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Beocat said:

The first time I watched Yona and Snow White, my husband was on a week-long business trip and I was checking out new series on Hulu.  I can't remember why I picked Yona first, the artwork may have made me think "is this a reverse harem?", but I binged-watched it after work and was so happy I found it.  Even called up my best friend and went on a 5 minute excited voicemail over how awesome it was and how she would totally love it.  That voicemail convinced her to try it and I converted another person to loving that series (she's read the manga as well).  Then I was looking at the "summary" info of other anime and thought "wonder what that one's about." with Snow White. It read A pharmacist with red hair........ and it had my complete attention (I am a pharmacist.....with red hair....haha).  I was relieved that it was a good anime, and loved it.  So happy that season two came out pretty quickly on top of that. 

If you liked Another, try watching Future Diary.  It's weird and creepy in all the right ways.  Definitely leaves an impression. The ending of Another didn't freak me out...but I can say that I stopped using umbrellas for several months after watching it.  >_>

That's so awesome! I loved Yona so much I also got my sisters to watch it and they love it now, too. One of them, I'll refer to them by their personality types instead of names, INTJ loves it so much that she's seen it even more times than me, which is surprising. It makes me so happy when someone loves an anime I recommended to them. INTJ is currently raving about my latest recommendation, Little Witch Academia. She loves that Diana is also an INTJ. 

Ooh, weird and creepy, it sounds perfect! I'll definitely be trying it. Thanks! And yes, that umbrella scene is a classic!

I've thought about starting Death Note so many times, but every time I try it looks like it's going to be *too* creepy and dark, so I'm not sure!