How does anime affect your attitude and mindset?

Mirror311

Recently I have read an article on the internet which says that anime can make one thinks negatively, and holds the negative attitude towards everything. I don't agree with this article as anime makes my attitude and mindset become more mature through those life lessons that anime taught me. This makes me curious about how does anime affect your mindset and attitude? Is it a positive or negative effect? If you don't mind, please share your experiences below. Thank you.

I think a link to the article would have helped to make things more clear, but I would say it is not true.

Mostly, it has to do with how a person goes into it and how they already perceive life, as well as how impressionable they are, but many fans are adults now, and anime has a lot of lessons to teach that would otherwise take us a long time learn ourselves, and helps us empathize with people more than “putting ourselves in their shoes.”

For example, without Clannad, I would not have discovered what a family truly was, though it was more thoroughly covered in the VN.

Do you happen to know who wrote that article or on what site you saw it? As someone who written article after article on things over the years, I do find it interesting on a possibly different level than most when someone writes an article I completely disagree with so I can figure out how they came to that conclusion. Honestly, the only thing I can think of, is that whoever wrote it might be like a lot of other anime fans out there who find anime as an escape during rough points in their life, but unlike so many who do that, they somehow weren't able to clear their minds of the negative emotions they felt during that time, and are blaming anime for it. That logic makes no sense to me, because I've never looked at anime and felt I needed to be negative towards people because of it. The mindset behind that idea has got me interested though. 

• Agree 1

I agree with the article in that it can make a person think negatively.  For example, my best friend is unable to watch Attack on Titan without going into an extended tirade over the main character.  She's even raged - quit several shows in the past. That being said, watching Rick boss people around on the Walking Dead does the same thing to me and it's not an anime. Keep in mind, you form opinions constantly while watching shows so they can make you think negatively or positively.

That being said, Psycho-Pass is the one anime that had probably permanently affected my mindset. That one phrase, "the law does not protect the people. People protect the law" really made me think and made me realize some things in a different light. Didn't really change my behavior, only the perspective I use when considering issues concerning the Bill of Rights or our Constitution. It made me realize those "laws" could easily be taken away and by virtue of their existence those rights are still not guaranteed. However, a recourse against infringements of those laws is guaranteed by their very existence which makes protecting them all the more important. A convoluted way to think about it, but it makes sense to me. Changed my mindset anyways. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think the mere fact that anime can affect weather negative or positive is a clear indication that the show can tap into real life emotions and make you feel something. I think any show weather anime or not is one of their objectives. I think the article was one-sided opinion though. I mean I have gotten mad at characters or scenes before but I mostly find that anime has positive messages like the underdog not giving up and continue fighting, or i find myself really responding to sports anime. Those really get me on the edge of my seat and make me root for the teams like I was watching real sports. I think we take what we want when we watch. It's always up to the viewer what is focused upon and what is taken away by watching it. 

• Agree 1

• Geano locked this topic