The Big Problem with the Pokémon Anime - An Essay and a Rant

_Dog

Let's add a poll to this thread. What do you think is more likely to happen first?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Let's add a poll to this thread. What do you think is more likely to happen first?

• Ash wins the Pokémon League and/or becomes a Pokémon Master
    • Our generation will pass away entirely

This was a quite enjoyable read.  Thank you for posting this.  I'm not sure why that mod thought you were being in a nihilist mindset as it is a realist mindset to me.  I saw these problems coming a long way down the series so I never watch it anymore (aside from catching the random episode when nothing else is on).  Truth be told, Nintendo's inability to allow the series to "grow" with it's original fanbase is a huge issue. There are so many ways Ash's character could have developed as he aged. Furthermore, accomplishing his dream by winning a league and becoming a Master wouldn't have ended the series. If anything, it could have been a springboard for a new dream to begin.  When you accomplish your dreams, you don't stop dreaming.  That's important to learn too in my book. 

Furthermore, the learning it's okay to lose theme needed to end a long time ago.  It's past time that kids these days learned it's okay to win too.  Our society has become twisted in a way that being successful is almost a crime.  I'd like to see Ash win for a change because he's worked hard enough to earn it, and he should be capable by this point in time.  That being said, with him never aging, there is only so much development that will ever occur (really how much mastering can you get done in 900+ episodes that span less than 1 year in the mindset of Nintendo?). 

As long as the series remains a cash-cow for Nintendo, the formula will not change.  Ash will never win a major league, his companions will be slightly less interesting future failures for comedic relief and filler content, Nurse Joy and Officer Jenny will continue to be everywhere as relatives (Clones....), and Pikachu will never evolve (like the show).  Eventually, fans may lose interest and they would be forced to make changes or fade into obscurity.  Whether this will happen someday, we'll just have to wait to find out.  Anyways, loved the essay ^_^ 

• Like 1

I only skimmed the essay, but it was definitely a fascinating read, especially as someone who stopped watching the show pretty early on. It's certainly disappointing, as I heard that, like you implied, XYZ was going in a good direction.

I guess the purpose of the Pokemon anime now is pretty much just to have some fun episodic Saturday-morning-like adventure to throw up on TV every week for kids to watch. If that's still their intended audience and the views are all they want, then hey, it works, I guess. It's not a great way to hang on to their original audience, though. Moral of the story to me seems to be, read Pokemon Adventures instead :P

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A few years ago, I did a pair of surveys for my Card Sharks game shows I do at cons that played along these lines. The questions we posed to 100 Pokemon fans were:

1) Do you think that Ash should finally win a league that is featured within the games?

2) If he were to finally win a league, should the Pokemon anime end at that point?

The results: 82 said he should finally win, while 32 said the anime should end when he does.

The fun part was we got to reveal these results when Michele Knotz was there to participate. I forget what her reaction was, it's been a couple years. I'll have to ask her.

• Like 1

Well, I figured the reason they keep restarting or retconning Satoshi and Pikachu is because the games are still being released and it's aiming it at that same elementary school demographic (well, that's the case here anyway). They can't have him win at the end of that generation's canonical game series just to be taken back again for the next generation. Makes more sense to have him lose. At the end, Satoshi tries his best to improve himself for the next region, right? What's there left to prove if he wins the previous one?

IMO, the only way he'll probably win a league or whatever, is if they end the anime and since the games are still a thing, which the show is based on to promote those games, I doubt that's ever going to happen.  If they would've changed out Satoshi as the protagonist after Kanto, changing up the protagonist with each series, like the games do, it would also probably be a bit different, letting the protagonist win the league.

Oh and about Pikachu...they have to nerf him since he'd be totally overpowered otherwise given the experience he has.

• Agree 1

It's such a catch-22 about literally making him weak all over again like that, though. He might as well BE a new kid, then.

And it doesn't say that just because he wins one league means he suddenly "has nothing left to prove". He didn't stop when he won the Orange League or conquer the Kanto Battle Frontier. He knows that to prove himself a true master, he'd have to be the champion anywhere and everywhere there was a league. It's a never-ending quest. You can't just win one and say it's all over, because someone else will come along and say, "Hey, you're the champ there, I'm the champ here. You want to prove you're the master? Knock me off my throne."

So, if he won ONE game league, it would not break the show.

• Like 1

• Geano locked this topic