Crunchyroll on PS4

Vivi Hyuuga

It looks like I'll be getting an early Christmas present with the Black Friday sales (my family has never been one to wait for Christmas day) and I'm super excited because I'll be getting a PS4! I've wanted one for a long time and wasn't expecting to be able to get one anytime in the near future.
What I'm wondering is this: I know you can stream Crunchyroll on the PS4, but does it require Crunchyroll Premium or can you watch it without the paid subscription? 

For those who are interested the games I'll be getting with it are Persona 5 and Horizon Zero Dawn.

Love it when Christmas comes early!

Game wise, check out the Atelier series. If you were ever a Harvest Moon64 fan, then get Stardew Valley. I honestly used the hulu app more on my ps4. Paid for Funimation for a while but used hulu more. I have a Crunchyroll pass but never used it. 

Have fun :)

Edited by Beocat
glitch

Thanks, @brycec ! That must be annoying having it log you out.

Yes, @Beocat ! In our family it usually comes early since we all love gift giving, but it's coming earlier than usual this year. I'm excited by the Black Friday game sales I found, I'm going to make my order as soon as my mom runs by the credit union for me, which she's about to do! 

My younger sister, ENFP, is getting an XBox, so my older sister, INTJ, had me help her order her a Christmas gift last night. Used copies of the Dragon Age trilogy. I love Harvest Moon Sunshine Island! The Atelier series looks so cool, definitely adding it to my wish list.

40 minutes ago, Vivi Hyuuga said:

Thanks, @brycec ! That must be annoying having it log you out.

No problem. Yes, it is annoying. I find that if I do not use the app on a certain device after a while, it auto logs me out, and I have to sign back in. However, FUNimation and Hulu keep me logged in no matter how much time I spend away from certain apps.

It is also interesting you get and give gifts early. My family sometimes gets gifts early, but we do not give them out early. Your older sister seems nice, though she and I probably will not get along, as I have  come up as INTJ more than once, and people that function cognitively on that level do not back down easily.

1 hour ago, brycec said:

No problem. Yes, it is annoying. I find that if I do not use the app on a certain device after a while, it auto logs me out, and I have to sign back in. However, FUNimation and Hulu keep me logged in no matter how much time I spend away from certain apps.

It is also interesting you get and give gifts early. My family sometimes gets gifts early, but we do not give them out early. Your older sister seems nice, though she and I probably will not get along, as I have  come up as INTJ more than once, and people that function cognitively on that level do not back down easily.

That's good to hear about Funimation and Hulu! I hope to get subscriptions to those sites someday. 

Yeah, we always get overly excited! In this case I'm not sure when we're giving sister presents, but the gifts from our parents are cash so we can pick out exactly what we want, and they wanted to let us take advantage of all the sales going on. I started panicking a bit ago when everywhere I was looking was already sold out of the PS4. Thankfully even though Walmart didn't have any PS4s left on the floor the website said they had four left in stock, so I did the free pickup option and was able to get it! My mom just picked it up for me. 

Lol! She certainly does not back down easily, though when it comes down to things that are a matter of taste, such as anime, she doesn't push her opinion on others. Plus growing up with a bunch of sisters she had to learn not to push too much and when it's okay to agree to disagree. 

I suggest you get the hulu subscription first. You'll still get the funimation shows, but most will release a day or two after they've released on funimation.  They have a large anime library as well though it is mostly all subs. Funimation you'd just need to pay a little extra for dubs.

16 minutes ago, Beocat said:

I suggest you get the hulu subscription first. You'll still get the funimation shows, but most will release a day or two after they've released on funimation.  They have a large anime library as well though it is mostly all subs. Funimation you'd just need to pay a little extra for dubs.

Actually, I would say get FUNimation. The Hulu catalog is not bad, though not a fairly sizeable collection of good anime, and does include titles from FUNimation, but the apps are not that well liked now, and pricing is terrible. I pay about $12/month for ad free and they only let you pay monthly, unless you are willing to pay $150/year in gift cards, though it is only about $100/year in gift cards on the cheaper plan, and I have had troubles recently signing into one of the apps (was finally able to log in, but it did not before, even though I was using the right log in info). FUNimation allows you to pay yearly without workarounds, like Crunchyroll and unlike Hulu, and their selection of good anime is better than Hulu's, though they are mostly focusing on dubs and logging in never gave me troubles, unless I had no internet or servers were down.

13 hours ago, Vivi Hyuuga said:

Turns out I might also be getting Crash Bandicoot (remastered) and Overwatch, if they are still in stock by the time I get home from the bank tomorrow. 

Think you can download games if you can't find the physical copies.

Thanks for the advice, @Beocatand @brycec

@BurnsyCEO, that is a really nice option! While I prefer physical copies, I like knowing there's the digital option in case I need it.

I didn't realize you needed Playstation Plus to play Overwatch. So, I figured it out and I can get it for a year if I don't get an extra controller. I realized I don't really need the extra controller anyways, and the year-long membership is currently 33% off.

Last night I had so much fun playing Crash Bandicoot with my family, just like we used to! The graphics they did in remastering it are amazing! I also watched Crunchyroll on it both last night and this morning, it's so nice! It's really easy and the quality is better than when I connect my computer to my TV. I love how easy it is to take screenshots and record video clips of gameplay. 

Crunchyroll is on PS4? Huh..that's interesting, never knew that. Took us a bit to get a PS4 since it was so pricey still and then it was very kind of our father to give us one for Christmas ( my sister and i ) so we now have our own. We did buy one for my step father since he's a gamer but then I moved out so didn't get to use it no more and was with out one till my father bought us one as a gift. Still need to play it  more, haven't in a while since I need more games for it. Also can't wait till Okami HD comes out on PS4. That's on my want list for Christmas. <3 

On 11/25/2017 at 11:38 AM, SleepyLeoulf said:

Crunchyroll is on PS4? Huh..that's interesting, never knew that. Took us a bit to get a PS4 since it was so pricey still and then it was very kind of our father to give us one for Christmas ( my sister and i ) so we now have our own. We did buy one for my step father since he's a gamer but then I moved out so didn't get to use it no more and was with out one till my father bought us one as a gift. Still need to play it  more, haven't in a while since I need more games for it. Also can't wait till Okami HD comes out on PS4. That's on my want list for Christmas. <3 

They are pricy! Thankfully now with the pro version the regular PS4s are a little less pricey, and Black Friday sales helped quite a bit.

Today I'm feeling rather sick. Not sure why but I'm super weak and my limbs can't stand for more for a few minutes without shaking. But, I don't mind so much because I'm really into Persona5! It's so good. I feel as if I'm part of an anime. Plus I got attached to the characters super quickly. I played for a few hours last night and most of the day so far, and I'm still only 4% through it. :P