How did anime got globally successful ?

graphene

What helped anime break the dominance of hollywood among people around the world and attract people to itself.

Many countries have their own film and tv industry like french, Indian, chinese, latin etc but none challenge hollywood so close as anime industry (As to what I feel). What are the possible reasons for this according to you ??

Also if you feel that my perception is wrong, feel free to correct it based on some valid facts and reasons and provide name of some other film industry from any particular country/ region challenging hollywood more than anime if you feel so, with justification.

Looking forward on an interesting discussion on this topic. B|B| 

Edited by graphene
  • Like 1

I actually have gone to a few panels at an anime-con I regularly visit which really went over this in depth.  When I get home I might look around for some of my old Con booklets (I have kept maybe half of them) and see if I can find the name and information on the guy who did it.  It was pretty interesting.  Discussed the origins, how much they cost to make back in the day originally, where all of the "static sequences" came from and how far back it set the anime industry in terms of quality output, how to market anime back in the day after the war they relied heavily on a "French" setting eg. Tokyo Tower becomes Eifel Tower (apparently because there was a feeling that because it was Japanese in origin people would reject it after the war - instead people embraced it regardless and they eventually gave up the ruse), and so forth.  He went into some interesting statistics as well as how the image back in the day was if you were watching anime you were watching "material of a graphic and civilly upsetting subject matter" ahem...if you get what I mean, but statistically you can prove that image false. 

Anyways, it was very interesting.  It's way too early in the morning for me to really go into this in detail, but I do remember the "static sequences" talk.  Basically, your static sequences is for example "a running through woods scene", a "transformation scene (popular in Sailor Moon)", or the like where one sequence of frames is made originally, then reused episode after episode.  This took expensive framing and made it reusable, taking up seconds to minutes of a show (which would save the producers money).  However, as you can all remember from Sailor Moon (my favorite example of overuse of this tactic), oftentimes the reusable sequences would literally take up over half of the show by the end of it (especially if you had multiple scouts transforming).  This made creating the anime EXTREMELY cheap, but as a consumer, I personally felt robbed when all I really got from the show was maybe 10 minutes of actual action (a common response to overuse of static sequences).  I don't think he called it "static sequences"...maybe recycled sequences?  Anyways, that part always sticks out in my head.   I'm very thankful that for the most part, anime developers have finally pushed past this tactic to make actual quality anime.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Beocat said:

I actually have gone to a few panels at an anime-con I regularly visit which really went over this in depth.  When I get home I might look around for some of my old Con booklets (I have kept maybe half of them) and see if I can find the name and information on the guy who did it.  It was pretty interesting.  Discussed the origins, how much they cost to make back in the day originally, where all of the "static sequences" came from and how far back it set the anime industry in terms of quality output, how to market anime back in the day after the war they relied heavily on a "French" setting eg. Tokyo Tower becomes Eifel Tower (apparently because there was a feeling that because it was Japanese in origin people would reject it after the war - instead people embraced it regardless and they eventually gave up the ruse), and so forth.  He went into some interesting statistics as well as how the image back in the day was if you were watching anime you were watching "material of a graphic and civilly upsetting subject matter" ahem...if you get what I mean, but statistically you can prove that image false. 

Anyways, it was very interesting.  It's way too early in the morning for me to really go into this in detail, but I do remember the "static sequences" talk.  Basically, your static sequences is for example "a running through woods scene", a "transformation scene (popular in Sailor Moon)", or the like where one sequence of frames is made originally, then reused episode after episode.  This took expensive framing and made it reusable, taking up seconds to minutes of a show (which would save the producers money).  However, as you can all remember from Sailor Moon (my favorite example of overuse of this tactic), oftentimes the reusable sequences would literally take up over half of the show by the end of it (especially if you had multiple scouts transforming).  This made creating the anime EXTREMELY cheap, but as a consumer, I personally felt robbed when all I really got from the show was maybe 10 minutes of actual action (a common response to overuse of static sequences).  I don't think he called it "static sequences"...maybe recycled sequences?  Anyways, that part always sticks out in my head.   I'm very thankful that for the most part, anime developers have finally pushed past this tactic to make actual quality anime.

that was quite informative @Beocat....... i was not aware of the static sequences part but yes, the variety in the content in huge amount is what makes me love anime series......... 

• Geano locked this topic