How to cope when you're sick?

Optic

We get sick from time to time, and when you get a cold or flu from someone at school, work or in public there's not much you can do to prevent it...

So I'm curious what your recovery plan is?

• I usually reach for the cold and flu tablets which have zinc to help with a runny/blocked nose and sore throat.
  • Also, a dose of Panadol (paracetamol) to reduce headaches and fatigue.
  • Going to bed more early (around 9PM instead of 11PM xD)
  • Lemon infused tea really really helps to soothe a sore throat for me, and it's relaxing too.
  • And an extra nap where possible.

Usually it clears in 2-3 days if I follow this regime.

I think, if you can't sleep well that will really slow recovery... and the worst symptom that keeps me awake is a runny nose. So though I don't recommend using it too often as it can really make you drowsy after awhile, use an antihistamine (some cold and flu tablets include this) to temporarily stop the runny nose so you can get some solid sleep. :)

I sleep on it. Normally I just bear with whatever it is, maybe take a "Panadol" and sleep it off.

For fever wise, I normally force myself to sweat it out, normally sleeping, covering myself with a blanket and switching off all fans in the room and sweat it out.

I never see a doctor, even when I burned a fever up to 40C once.

I never get sick, a simple flu or cold is not really something I get. Last time I was sick was in 2009 with the swine flu.

But I try to avoid painkillers and such, after a while your body needs more and more of it. So I prefer "natural stuff" like herbals =)

Whenever my boyfriend is sick I make specific food and drinks for him which seems to work very well, he sleeps a lot and I make sure he "sweats it out" so I cover him with a blanket and such.

I never get sick, a simple flu or cold is not really something I get. Last time I was sick was in 2009 with the swine flu.

But I try to avoid painkillers and such, after a while your body needs more and more of it. So I prefer "natural stuff" like herbals =)

Whenever my boyfriend is sick I make specific food and drinks for him which seems to work very well, he sleeps a lot and I make sure he "sweats it out" so I cover him with a blanket and such.

I am jealous that you rarely get sick! I was doing so well this year too. I don't think I had been sick for a while and then suddenly on Sunday I had this desperate need to go out and eat ice-cream since my throat was very very sore. I then realised I must be getting sick cause my nose started to run. I tried to wake up and go to work but couldn't since I had no energy! Usually in the past when I was sick I would be sick for a while like a week but this time I felt much better by Tuesday. I think it is because on Monday I slept all day besides from waking up at times to finish my assignment that was due that day. Also my boyfriend was being a very good doctor. Things that helped me was lemsip, strepsils, sleep, fruit tea and chocolate mousse :D Now my poor boyfriend is sick cause he got it from me :( hopefully he gets better soon, I think he will be fine with lots of sleep.

• 8 months later...

Personally I make my self tea with a couple of herbs from my garden and I usually go lay down on my bed by the window and read for a couple of hours or just watch anime/ catch up on some shows. xD

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Don't get sick often, once every couple years usually.

I generally just have some NeoCitran (I think it's called Theraflu in other places), sleep for a day, and then I'm fine enough the next day to get back to my usual routine.

NeoCitran is some pretty strong stuff (especially if you're sensitive to drowsy effects, such as myself). If you're going to take it, it's best you either take no other medications or you pay attention to the ingredients (in particular the pain relief ingredient).

Also, when you're sick, drink lots of water. It seems so many people don't even realise that "sweating it out" is also dehydrating you >.<

Stay hydrated and sweat it out properly!

• 1 year later...