General smartphone discussion

Optic

Discuss anything to do with your smartphone here. ;)

I'll kickstart the discussion:

What smartphone are you currently using and any plans to replace it soon or are you currently happy with it?

I currently use an iPhone 4S. I have had it since June 2012. The phone is still working well. It was on a one year contract and I could have gotten the 5s last year but I decided it wasn't different enough to warrant replacing my current iPhone so I decided I could wait it out for the iPhone 6.

I'm hoping that the iPhone 6 is way different from the 4S. I felt that the iPhone changed a lot during the first models that were released years back but once the 4S came out not much really changed. All I seem to know about the iPhone 6 is that it will be bigger. I am not sure about how the size would suit me since I have small hands and am currently happy with the size of the 4S but I will get used to a bigger phone if I have to do that.

I could go for a different type of smart phone but I really don't want to since I am use to the operating system and now it feels weird using any other type of phone. Also eventually I may have to get another phone since apparently after ios8 comes out then there will be no more updates for the iPhone 4S.

I am very pleased how sturdy the iPhone 4S is. I have dropped it many times and have never broken it once! A lot of my friends have an iPhone 5 or 5s and it is amazing how many of the screens are broken now. Makes me wonder if the 5 was weaker compared to the 4S.

I definitely don't want to buy a phone that breaks too easily. The only other thing that will annoy me if I move on from the iPhone 4S is the different charger. It means none of my old chargers will work and I can no longer have chargers for my car, current apartment and family home... like I can buy more chargers but it just seems like a silly extra expense. Plus I have heard that the chargers break so easily! So I am not looking forward to buying lots if new chargers all the time :/

• Informative 1

@Caroline, did you type this out on your phone? You should edit into paragraphs for readability. :)

The only other thing that will annoy me if I move on from the iPhone 4S is the different charger. It means none of my old chargers will work and I can no longer have chargers for my car, current apartment and family home... like I can buy more chargers but it just seems like a silly extra expense. Plus I have heard that the chargers break so easily! So I am not looking forward to buying lots if new chargers all the time :/

Ah yes, the lightning connector replacing the old 30 pin charger/data cables. I think the new lightning cables are more fragile, easier to bend on the connectors... but I can see why they changed it. It's much more slimmer, which was inevitable given the smaller sizes of the iPad Air and iPad Mini.

Agree on phone durability... the iPhone 4S has glass casing doesn't it on the back? Wheras the 5S models where mostly aluminium. So durability vs weight... but either way you would want to avoid dropping your smartphone as much as possible unless you had a rugged case. Do you have a case on yours or you prefer to use it without one?

On another note, does your pet tend to chew on cables (i.e. the charger) ? I've had many clients bring in their charger wish visible chew marks due to their playful cat or dog... not a pretty sight. xD

Bella is an outdoor dog so she has never had access to my chargers so that has never happened to me.

I never realised that the cases were made of different material. Yes, the iPhone 4S has glass casing. I feel that iPhone cases do not always protect the iPhone. In 2011 I had another iPhone with another case on it. I dropped it and the case cracked right near where the sound controls were. Since then I could never hear the sound on my phone so when my contract expired I got another iPhone. I avoided using a case until Lindsay got me one but then I dropped my phone by accident and broke it haha. I haven't bothered about getting another case yet since I might be getting a new phone soon anyway.

• 2 months later...
I feel that iPhone cases do not always protect the iPhone. In 2011 I had another iPhone with another case on it. I dropped it and the case cracked right near where the sound controls were.

Depends on the case, if you're using those really bulky ones with the rubber exoskeltons then they'll definitely absorb the impact on even the most harshest drops. But the screen is usually still exposed so depends on the angle of the drop.

Either way, I'm sure you'd agree it's best to avoid dropping your phone in the first place where possible. >_<

---

On another note I've gone back to iOS with a new iPhone 6 plus. Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai wallpaper. :angel:

optic-iphone-6-plus-wallpaper.thumb.jpg.aede2dc1e3e5eeb515d310e8704c8e64.jpg

I haves a Nexus 5 currently and will probably not be switching to the N6. Only got it as it was cheap; did not want a contract. Is actually a really good phone but battery life is pretty meh. I may go back to IOS; though; I had a Ip5 before.

• 1 year later...