New AF member

efaardvark

I just joined so I thought I'd say "hi".  Hope this is the place.  I've been watching anime since high school however, which is a very long time indeed seeing as I'm 3868 years old.  (In Minecraft years. :D )  I enjoy "hard" science fiction themes mostly, subs > dubs - I can usually understand spoken Japanese, though I'm not conversational - and I prefer the 12/24-episode-and-done format. Totally not into Naruto or Inuyasha. Probably not fighting robots either, even though playing with robots IRL makes me happy. My favorite series ever was definitely "Ghost in the Shell". On the other hand I'm not afraid of cute or goofy either. I've enjoyed oddball stuff like "Hyouka" or "Usagi Drop", I'm looking forward to the next season of FLCL, and I've even been known to like the rare romcom like "Clannad: After Story" or "Toradora". I have a friend from HS who's a voice actress so if she's had a part in something I'll usually give it a watch, even if it is just that silly squid thing in "Hand Maid Mei".  As I type this I've got a re-watch of "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" queued up in Crunchyroll while waiting for the current season to finish up.  I tend to binge-watch so I usually wait until the season ends to start watching a series.  No spoilers please!>:(

I also read books, program computers, build arduino (microcontroller/electronics) projects, and play video games.  My current obsession regarding the latter being Kerbal Space Program.

I'm usually something of a lurker, but if you do see me around the forum(s) don't be afraid to say "hi"!

1 hour ago, efaardvark said:

I just joined so I thought I'd say "hi".  Hope this is the place.  I've been watching anime since high school however, which is a very long time indeed seeing as I'm 3868 years old.  (In Minecraft years. :D )  I enjoy "hard" science fiction themes mostly, subs > dubs - I can usually understand spoken Japanese, though I'm not conversational - and I prefer the 12/24-episode-and-done format. Totally not into Naruto or Inuyasha. Probably not fighting robots either, even though playing with robots IRL makes me happy. My favorite series ever was definitely "Ghost in the Shell". On the other hand I'm not afraid of cute or goofy either. I've enjoyed oddball stuff like "Hyouka" or "Usagi Drop", I'm looking forward to the next season of FLCL, and I've even been known to like the rare romcom like "Clannad: After Story" or "Toradora". I have a friend from HS who's a voice actress so if she's had a part in something I'll usually give it a watch, even if it is just that silly squid thing in "Hand Maid Mei".  As I type this I've got a re-watch of "The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" queued up in Crunchyroll while waiting for the current season to finish up.  I tend to binge-watch so I usually wait until the season ends to start watching a series.  No spoilers please!>:(

I also read books, program computers, build arduino (microcontroller/electronics) projects, and play video games.  My current obsession regarding the latter being Kerbal Space Program.

I'm usually something of a lurker, but if you do see me around the forum(s) don't be afraid to say "hi"!

Welcome to the Forums, have fun.

Welcome to the forums :) by sci-fi fan does this mean you also like space opera on the side or are you strictly Sci fi (steins gate, etc)?

If your HS friend is who I think she is then she has had some pretty cool roles both in anime and in video games! Awesome for her. :)  I love meeting voice actors really at conventions because they're really just like us...they love to talk anime and video games too for the most part. 

4 hours ago, Beocat said:

Welcome to the forums :) by sci-fi fan does this mean you also like space opera on the side or are you strictly Sci fi (steins gate, etc)?

I'm pretty picky about my science fiction.  I mean, I don't get militant or anything, and I'll read/watch most anything for the entertainment of it, but I consider pop-scifi like Star Wars or Star Trek fantasy.  Ok, but definitely not as interesting as the good stuff.  I have a background/profession in physics, space exploration, and programming so the "harder" the science is the better as far as I'm concerned.  I'm talking a 5 or 6 on the hardness scale before I consider it "real" science fiction.  Like I said, anything's fine for the entertainment, but to really pique my interest and get my imagination engaged it has to be solid enough that even with my background I can actually picture it happening in our real universe.  I love stuff like Planetes or Ghost in the Shell.  My favorite SF authors are mostly scientist- or engineer-writers like Asimov, Clarke, Niven, etc.  I'd much rather see stories about the socioeconomics of humans colonizing all those thousands of (dwarf) planets out in our own Kuiper belt and Oort cloud with O'Neil habitats, thorium power, and sub-light trade than something Federation-like with magical tech like FTL/warp drives, time travel, and matter teleporters.  I'd be more impressed with Gandalf if he were actually a cyborg with his own nanite cloud and built-in wireless.  That said, sometimes there's not that much actual difference in the setting or plot.  (Consider Sword Art Online vs Log Horizons for instance.)  It's all good, but I definitely prefer stories that pay more than lip-service to the "science" part of "science fiction".

2 hours ago, efaardvark said:

I'm pretty picky about my science fiction.  I mean, I don't get militant or anything, and I'll read/watch most anything for the entertainment of it, but I consider pop-scifi like Star Wars or Star Trek fantasy.  Ok, but definitely not as interesting as the good stuff.  I have a background/profession in physics, space exploration, and programming so the "harder" the science is the better as far as I'm concerned.  I'm talking a 5 or 6 on the hardness scale before I consider it "real" science fiction.  Like I said, anything's fine for the entertainment, but to really pique my interest and get my imagination engaged it has to be solid enough that even with my background I can actually picture it happening in our real universe.  I love stuff like Planetes or Ghost in the Shell.  My favorite SF authors are mostly scientist- or engineer-writers like Asimov, Clarke, Niven, etc.  I'd much rather see stories about the socioeconomics of humans colonizing all those thousands of (dwarf) planets out in our own Kuiper belt and Oort cloud with O'Neil habitats, thorium power, and sub-light trade than something Federation-like with magical tech like FTL/warp drives, time travel, and matter teleporters.  I'd be more impressed with Gandalf if he were actually a cyborg with his own nanite cloud and built-in wireless.  That said, sometimes there's not that much actual difference in the setting or plot.  (Consider Sword Art Online vs Log Horizons for instance.)  It's all good, but I definitely prefer stories that pay more than lip-service to the "science" part of "science fiction".

I can appreciate that too. I only have a few anime that really fit that criteria. A lot of anime tends to have a touch of magic. Still, like you said, most of the best are written by scientists and engineers and we both know how much those types of people like to write stories, haha...