What's your current/favorite game?

efaardvark

Due to a lack of time I don't play nearly as much as I'd like, but I'm a big fan of video games.  Everything from coin-op arcade games like Space Wars and Gauntlet back in the day to PC games like Doom or Quake to more recent MMORPGs like WoW and Skyrim, I've at least tried most everything - and played some a lot more than I probably should have.  :D Sandbox/simulation games are what I keep coming back to however.  I've played pretty much every version of Sim<anything> over the years, even SimEarth and SimAnt.  I used to be really into Minecraft back when it was still Mojang/Notch.  These days my current obsession is Kerbal Space Program (with the Kerbal Engineer and kOS mods).  Keeping an eye on No Man's Sky and Space Engineer for the future.

So what's your favorite and/or current video game?  What sort of games do you like?

Edited by efaardvark
added link to KSP youtubie.

At this moment, one of my favourite games is Elder Scrolls Online, it's incredibly detailed and has an extremely good gameplay and the story is interesting (even if I don't follow it much myself), but it's so far the best MMO I've ever played compared to Lord of the Rings Online and Star Wars the Old Republic... Yes, I am a legit MMO junkie.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rudilla said:

At this moment, one of my favourite games is Elder Scrolls Online...

I wish I had time for this kind of thing.  I used to be a big online gamer too, back in the day.  I even ran my own circlemud server for a while when I was in school.  ("MUDs" were multi-user dungeons.. the text-based precursor to today's MMORPGs.  If you've ever played Zork or Adventure, it's like that, only with other players online, and with much better combat and leveling systems.)  I enjoyed it then, and of course the "new" graphical games like ESO, WoW, etc. are awesome compared to that.  Unfortunately they take more time than I can really give them to play well.  The level grind is a killer for me.  I guess I could go for one of the pay-to-play games out there and/or buy a high-level character & equipment, but where's the fun in that?  :D

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

I wish I had time for this kind of thing.  I used to be a big online gamer too, back in the day.  I even ran my own circlemud server for a while when I was in school.  ("MUDs" were multi-user dungeons.. the text-based precursor to today's MMORPGs.  If you've ever played Zork or Adventure, it's like that, only with other players online, and with much better combat and leveling systems.)  I enjoyed it then, and of course the "new" graphical games like ESO, WoW, etc. are awesome compared to that.  Unfortunately they take more time than I can really give them to play well.  The level grind is a killer for me.  I guess I could go for one of the pay-to-play games out there and/or buy a high-level character & equipment, but where's the fun in that?  :D

Not necessarily a pay-to-win game, for some like ESO are really immersive and the leveling is done pretty well, I can explore dungeons and areas and I level up along, much more fun when in a group.

I used to play a lot of call of duty and Xbox games when I was younger and I got tired of it after a while. One day I saw my uncle playing dota 2 and decided to try pc gaming. As I have a very shitty PC I couldn't run many things but one game I could run is wow. Wow is pretty much the only game I play right now. I've been playing a lot of legion and its a very fascinating experience. Its very different for me and I enjoy it a lot. I also used to play minecraft a lot and I still do a little bit

currently my favorite game is killing floor 2 it is a old game but still i join online matches and have fun with the diffrent variation of characters and enimies to fight and kill. also the guns are very creative with guns like the freeze thrower and the spit fires and i play it while watching some nice animeImage result for killing floor 2

Changed my mind… my favorite game is Pokémon Mystery Dungeon explorers of sky. Again. It's the only game that has ever made me cry a bit, in my life.

Edited by Rudilla

• 4 weeks later...

There's a huge difference between my favorite game and my current favorite but for now I'll just mention what I've been playing recently: 

CrossCode - An indie ARPG game that's on Steam. It's single player but the story is really well done for an early-access game and so far I've gotten 20+ hours out of it and I've loved every second. Also the art style is pixelated but the combat and interactions are very smooth and pleasing to the eye. It's a little pricey at $19.99 (I got it on sale) but you'll get well over a dollar an hour of entertainment and it's still got lots up updates and additions to the story coming in the future. I'd look it up a bit first but to anyone who is a fan of games like this will surely fall in love with it. One last thing to note is that I've been playing it with a PS4 controller so I don't really know how the game feels if you're planning on playing with keyboard and mouse (some parts may actually work better with a mouse). Thanks for reading my promotion of this game I've been playing :3 

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite game of all time is Okami HD. The story, graphics, and even the music are just stunning and gorgeous <3 I highly recommend this (y) if you like drawing and Asian culture. It also has a unique fighting system as well that is quite interesting and fun I think.  

header.jpg.4fba5c31821310ebc569389447556285.jpg

As for other games I pretty much like to try anything and like many other games as well. I play on PS4 , PC , And sometimes Nintendo 3Ds XL.

• 2 weeks later...

my favorite has to go to good old Team Fortress 2, the gameplay is always fun despite sticky spam and getting five spies on a twelve man team. though what it gets me with are its very memorable characters, playable or not. it supports a ton of playstyles to, from sweaty tryhard scout mains on badwater to friendly sandvich dispensing hoovies on 2fort.

I haven’t really played much of anything except for Sims 4 in the past year or so. Life is getting more stable though, and I might start playing some more things once we get a new place and have our shit a bit more figured out. Right now we’re just mostly focused on saving money and paying off some bills :) 

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

All time favorite is too hard, although my go-to is usually Final Fantasy VI. The best ones I've played recently are Dragon Quest 11, Persona 5 and Octopath Traveler. I liked Zanki Zero a lot, and I'm enjoying Ni No Kuni 2.

Anticipating Fire Emblem, Tales of Arise, Trails of Cold Steel 3, Ys 9 and SMTV.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

20200628113049_1.thumb.jpg.03e0d234e80e77226b726fbe35a449ee.jpg

For a while now my brother has been harassing me to play a game called Empyrion.  I've resisted for a few reasons.  One is because it is a Windows-only game and I'm running linux.  Another is I don't have enough time to play games as it is anyway.  The last thing I need is another way to waste time.  :)  Otherwise it seemed like my kind of thing.. space/technology themed, multi-player (including either PvP or co-op).  There's crafting, building, a universe-sized PvE sandbox to play in, and a bit of lore/story to keep things interesting.  It is still alpha/early access on Steam but there seemed to be a lot of positive energy about it in the forums and online in general.  I've watched a couple let's-plays and waited for the linux version to be announced.

Well, this weekend I had some time and Steam notified me of a 60% off sale.  I checked around and found some mentions of the game running on linux via Steam's ProtonDB since about a year ago so I decided to take a chance.  For $8 it seemed worth the risk.

Glad I did!  I'm still running through the tutorials and I haven't even tried going online multi-player yet so I might be a bit premature in saying this but so far I am liking it a lot.  Technically it has worked just fine.  Alpha or not this "windows only" game has been quite stable even under Proton on my Linux system.  My old gfx card's fans rev up but the game looks great and the fps are keeping up with my monitor's 60hz refresh.  I don't know if this is going to be my new favorite.  That top spot has been occupied by Kerbal Space Program for years now and I don't think that's going to change any time soon.  However this might give Minecraft some competition for the second-favorite slot!  This weekend I had in fact planned to log on to my brother's Realms server to check out the Nether update.  Instead I spent (according to Steam) about 10 hours over the two days crash-landed on a temperate planet called "Earha" trying to build and fortify a base against the alien mobs while expanding my technology options.  :D I haven't managed to get off the planet yet, but I do have a base, some construction ability, a small farm for food, some decent weapons for protection from the wildlife, and a lot of prospecting and exploring on-planet yet to do.

20200628113220_1.thumb.jpg.2783228868205d49ab8b48af21c702ff.jpg20200628142354_1.thumb.jpg.1ebfa39329ac0eceb0b41b52531cbc83.jpg

It is interesting to note that if you're outside in this game and look up you can often see the other planets in your planet's solar system.  It took me a while to realize it, but in this game getting off the starter planet is just that, a start.  Develop your tech enough and you can actually build a spacecraft to go visit those other planets.. and the rest of the universe beyond.  Kind of a combination of Minecraft, No Man's Sky, and a bit of Space Engineer.

20200628121633_1.thumb.jpg.30c05191598f4d407d43a70ee90c3e17.jpg

Favorite game is an incredibly tough call. It's a 3-way tie between NASCAR Thunder 2004, Gran Turiamo 1, and Burnout 3: Takedown.

NASCAR Thunder just leaks with effort and detail for a 2003 title. Incredible career mode, the best in any racing game I've played, and the Lightning Challenges add a ton of repalyability. Custom paint schemes, ass loads of unlockables, fantasy tracks, it's one of the most FULL gaming experiences I can remember.

Gran Turismo 1 also has a satisfying career mode (if a bit short). But the best thing it has going is pure, raw, gameplay. Not only is High Speed Ring my favorite track in any game ever, but the handling of some of these cars is just unbelievable! Especially the Race Version Mitsubishi FTO, which is easilly the best handling car I've ever driven. But even without the best handling cars of the game, even if youre putting around in the dumpiest minivan in the game, the physics are just so nice it doesn't matter.

And Burnout 3 Takedown has some pretty decent driving physics too. It's structured in a way that lets you abuse the gas pedal and nitros through entire courses, while only needing to tap the brake to initiate looooong drifts. Hands down the best feature of this game is Road Rage mode, which is the greatest game mode in any title I've ever played. Simply use speed and momentum to wreck as many opponents as you can before your car is too damaged to go on, and they nailed every aspect of this idea to create a nonstop heartpounding experience.