Are you learning a new language?

Greeneyes

Are you learning a new language? If so what language and would you share some tips for others

if they start learning and are there any words, sentences or anything you would like to share about this language? Or are you planning on learning a language?

I am learning Spanish in school but am horrible it just doesn't click with me...

I am gonna start to try to learn french and if I can get to like conversation level I will try German!

• Like 1

I would love to learn Japanese since I'm half and sadly don't know much of anything but some words of it. My grandma who is full Japanese was going teach me and did some years ago but just a few words and how my name was in Japanese. But she's much older now in her 90's and isn't able to do too much no more so she can't. So right now "trying" to teach myself all I can and just watch old Japanese shows, movies, and anime like she does in her spear time to maybe understand it more and learn that way sorta. Plus it's how I feel connected to her more and bond with her when I visit her and we talk about it. I guess for now researching it is all I can do for the moment.

Other languages I like to learn is Spanish since my step father knows a bit of it and possibly Korean, since I watch K dramas a lot and listen to Kpop sometimes as well. Be interesting to learn since my sister and I had two friends growing up who were from South Korea. Probably like a lot of people say it is hard like Japanese but will to give it a try.  

• Like 1
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

9 hours ago, Greeneyes said:

Are you learning a new language? If so what language and would you share some tips for others

if they start learning and are there any words, sentences or anything you would like to share about this language? Or are you planning on learning a language?

I am learning Spanish in school but am horrible it just doesn't click with me...

I am gonna start to try to learn french and if I can get to like conversation level I will try German!

That's funny, I speak Spanish and French fluently, and I'm already learning German.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Rudilla said:

That's funny, I speak Spanish and French fluently, and I'm already learning German.

How long did it take you to learn Spanish and French?

Theoretically I learned German in HS (2 semesters), but after all these years of non-use pretty much the only thing I still remember is "Guten tag".  My French is.. well, the less said about that the better.  :P I transferred in halfway through the semester from a typing class when I broke my finger playing basketball and I never really caught up.

I do know enough spoken Japanese to get into trouble.  :) I prefer the Japanese audio when watching anime, and I often turn off subtitles entirely when watching, especially on material I'm familiar with.   Some animes I simply can't stand in the dubbed version.  (Clannad comes to mind.)  Apart from anime I hear it a lot at work too.  (We have a fair number of people from all over the world there, including some from JAXA, but also ISRO and some ESA nations too.  I really wish I was one of those people who could speak like 6 different languages.  At one point I tried to convince my boss to pay for real Japanese language classes, but unfortunately he wasn't having any of it.)  Anyway, bottom line is that I can't think fast enough to speak it very well, but I can usually understand it ok.

I'm a big reader though and I'd really like to be able to read Japanese too.  I hate having to wait for the anime to come out when I know the manga is several seasons ahead.  Sometimes, like with Suzuka, the anime isn't popular enough or the anime ends for some reason before it gets to the more interesting parts later in the manga.  Unfortunately while I can handle the hiragana/katakana well enough to sight-read I've hit something of a wall on the kanji.  As a result the only material I can really access is gradeschool level, or maybe a bit higher if it has furigana.  I need to find time to do some serious kanji drill with flash cards or something.  If anyone knows a good web site or phone app for kanji drill I'd appreciate hearing about it!

I'm in the process of learning Swedish, and after Swedish I have a list of languages I want to learn and Japanese is at the top. For me, I find it helpful to just immerse myself as much as possible. Listen to Swedish music, watch movies and TV shows, read as much as possible, practice writing it, and when possible converse with it. I also try to look up any words I don't know, and I have a notebook I'll take notes in so if I forget the word's definition I can look it back up later, and I can also drill myself. 

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

I am currently learning Japanese, I have been learning for a while; Mainly just how to speak it first, trying also to learn Kanji as well though. I plan to live in Japan later so I want to definitely learn the language, also I just think it sounds beautiful. It is my favourite language. Other than Japanese I don't really have much of a desire to learn any other languages other than the languages from LOTR because I am such a huge nerd, lol.

Mango languages, Busuu and Nhk.or.jp are good sites to learn Japanese on if anyone wants to try them out. I haven't practiced my Japanese is a while but when I study, I use those sites.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SAO LILDOOP said:

I am currently learning Japanese, I have been learning for a while; Mainly just how to speak it first, trying also to learn Kanji as well though. I plan to live in Japan later so I want to definitely learn the language, also I just think it sounds beautiful. It is my favourite language. Other than Japanese I don't really have much of a desire to learn any other languages other than the languages from LOTR because I am such a huge nerd, lol.

Mango languages, Busuu and Nhk.or.jp are good sites to learn Japanese on if anyone wants to try them out. I haven't practiced my Japanese is a while but when I study, I use those sites.

Good luck with that

• Friendly 1

• 1 month later...

I"m currently learning Chinese (Cantonese) and unlike English which is an alphabet, Cantonese is a Logography. Basically this means there is a different character for every word or phrase. So instead of having to memorize 27 letters (English) I have to memorize more than 2000 characters...     

ha haha hahaha hahahahahaAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH   send help.

• Funny 1

I’ve been thinking a lot about language lately. It’s a good thing to challenge yourself to learning another language. It gets your brain active and can even help prevent or delay the onset of Alzheimer’s and dementia in old age. 

Being in Canada, it is required to take minimal French classes during your school years. I took it beyond the minimum requirements, but due to non-use and not bothering to persue it, I’ve since forgotten what I’ve learned in it. 

When I was with my ex, we lived with his family and they’re from Slovakia. So I was exposed to Slovak for a year and a bit. Even though I wasn’t taking any extra effort to learn the language, being around it all the time it slowly became easier for me to understand. I was beginning to use the words I knew/picked up more often when I ended that relationship. 

I’ve always been interested in learning Chinese or Korean, though I’ve never really known why. 

If I was being practical, then I suppose I’d learn French because it’s one of Canada’s official languages. But I have a hard time getting into it. 

Who knows, maybe one day I’ll actually put in an effort to learn a second language. 

Dattebayo!

I can right now conversate with 4 languages. I am now learning Japanese. After learning their alphabets, I started learning Chinese characters (because they are the same in Japanese). Basically Japanese has the easiest grammar I have ever encountered so I guess you can start now! Because in HS, you won't have any time for learning a new language so you should start now. For learning Japanese letters I recommend Kanji Study and for a translator I recommend Jsho. But handling so many languages is hard so, good luck!

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

On 2/22/2018 at 5:09 PM, SeaOfRed said:

memorize more than 2000 characters

Do you get to write it too?  Because then there's things like stroke order to consider as well. :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, efaardvark said:

Do you get to write it too?  Because then there's things like stroke order to consider as well. :) 

omg no Lol I have yet to attempt writing. I think I will leave that until I take actual classes where I'd have someone to teach me.

On 23/2/2018 at 4:09 AM, SeaOfRed said:

I"m currently learning Chinese (Cantonese) and unlike English which is an alphabet, Cantonese is a Logography. Basically this means there is a different character for every word or phrase. So instead of having to memorize 27 letters (English) I have to memorize more than 2000 characters...     

ha haha hahaha hahahahahaAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH   send help.

Good luck ◑.◑

On 24/2/2018 at 12:49 AM, =UZUMAKI= said:

Dattebayo!

I can right now conversate with 4 languages. I am now learning Japanese. After learning their alphabets, I started learning Chinese characters (because they are the same in Japanese). Basically Japanese has the easiest grammar I have ever encountered so I guess you can start now! Because in HS, you won't have any time for learning a new language so you should start now. For learning Japanese letters I recommend Kanji Study and for a translator I recommend Jsho. But handling so many languages is hard so, good luck!

Lucky you 〔´∇`〕

• 1 month later...