Your favourite Harry Potter character?

SAO LILDOOP

Who is the best Harry Potter character?   

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best Harry Potter character?

• Severus Snape
    • Harry Potter
    • Hermione Granger
    • Draco Malfoy
    • Albus Dumbledore
    • Voldemort
    • Ronald Weasley
    • Dobby

I have just finished watching the entire Harry Potter series for the very first time and I loved it; There were a lot of really good characters and I would like to know who everyone's favourites were from the films.

1: Severus Snape

Image result for Severus Snape

2: Harry Potter

Image result for Harry Potter

3: Hermione Granger

Image result for Hermione granger

4: Draco Malfoy

Related image

5: Albus Dumbledore

Image result for Albus Dumbledore

6: Voldemort

Related image

7: Ronald Weasley

Image result for ronald weasley

8: Dobby

Image result for Dobby harry potter

Please vote for you're favourite character and if you have more favourites, feel free to list them in the comments.

Edited by SAO LILDOOP
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

Severus Snape was my favourite character through out the entire series due to his mysterious ways and how well his allegiance was hidden through out every movie.
He was monotones yet interesting, which I found to be very intriguing since that is a rare mixture, but it worked so perfectly. Although he didn't get as much time in the movies as I'd hoped, he was such a complex and in depth character I instantly loved him ... I automatically liked him the first time I saw him due to his mysterious disposition and the way he talked. Through out the rest of the movies he remained my favourite even when his loyalties were questioned and everyone else seemed to think I had to change my out look on his character due to this.
In the end, I loved Snape through out all the movies and could find no reason to dislike him.
Since Snape was my favourite character I decided to do a little research on him once I finished the movies and I found a lot of interesting details that made me love him even more ... He was smarter than 7th years at Hogwarts before he had even joined. He created his own spells including, "Sectumsempra.", "Vulnera Sanentur.", "Levicorpus." and more. He was the youngest teacher and head master in all of Hogwarts history. The first time Snape and Harry meet he asks him, "What would I get if I added powdered root of asphodel to and infusion of wormwood?" which many people assumed was a normal potions question, however there is a Latin flower language that, when applied to this statement translate to, "I bitterly regret Lily's death." or "On Lily's grave I promise to protect you." which I found very touching. When Severus was younger he was attacked by Remus Lupin in werewolf form, which was said to be very terrifying ... However, during a scene where Remus transforms into a werewolf and is about to attack Harry, Hermione and Ron, Snape steps in front and shields them from the attack, causing Snape to get the full force of the werewolf's strike. I personally find the last two facts to be very touching and sweet, the others just show how amazing and powerful Snape actually was.
I also do not understand why Lily married James Potter since he was so mean to Snape, who, if she forgot, was her best friend since they were little ... Also, the fact that Snape loved and adored Lily so much that he risked his life every day to save her son and never got over losing her shows how amazing he was.
So, yes, I adored Snape through out the entire movie series and am extremely proud to call myself a true Snape fan, since most people disliked him in earlier movies and ended up regretting it later.

Draco Malfoy is my second favourite character due to his sassy/sarcastic attitude and complex mind set.
I have a soft spot for well dressed men, along with sarcasm, so I automatically liked Draco upon his arrival in the movie. However, I never did let up my liking of his character even when he did begin to become a death eater. I found Draco to be a well made character, very complex and interesting while barely showing his true emotions.
I usually end up loving side characters in movies and tv shows due to the fact that you get to piece everything together with them, instead of knowing their exact backstory and the like. Because, if I'm being honest, I usually find most characters backstories to be cliché and boring.
Now, seeing as I love to delve into characters and figure things out about them just by the little bits you're shown, I'm quite positive Draco had some daddy issues, as in, Draco's father was both mentally and physically abusive, Draco didn't spend much time with his father, he didn't feel like he was good enough for his father and he was struggling with living up to his father's expectations.
How did I come to such a conclusion? Well ... There are only a few scenes where Draco and Lucius Malfoy are together, but in one of those scenes Lucius straight up hits Draco in the torso while other people are watching. It's also clear that Draco is unnerved around his father since in the other scenes they're together Draco always takes a few steps away from his father, as if subconsciously. This is shown in the end as well. When Draco goes to stand with his parents he holds his mothers hand but quickly side steps away when Lucius tries to touch his shoulder. Along with being abusive towards Draco in public, Lucius also abuses Dobby, his house elf, in front of a few people as well. So ... if Lucius Malfoy is that abusive in public, how do you think it varies in private?
It's quite clear from the way Draco acts and talks, that he respects and loves his father. However, the fact that Draco is always trying to insert his father into conversations is a little odd ... One of Draco's favourite lines is, "My father will hear about this!" and aside from that one he's always trying to bring up his father in conversations, such as the time he tells Harry about the bet he made with his father, or when he brags about his father. Now, I'm theorizing that this is due to the fact that Draco doesn't spend much time with his father and so he tries to play up their relationship by taunting others with it. It's a normal thing for children to play up their parents, but Draco's need to make his father sound like the most powerful wizard all the time, makes me think he's trying to make others jealous of his relationship with his father, even though he doesn't really have one.
It's shown that Draco struggles with being a death eater and can't manage to kill Dumbledore when the time comes. However, Draco does try his best to do everything his dad expects of him, which causes a lot of stress on Draco and is also probably a factor in why he's always making fun of others ... He's trying to forget about his own problems. The struggle Draco has with making his father proud or doing the right thing is what made me so interested in him. I felt bad for him and I could understand ... It's not rare for people to get stressed out over not being "good enough" and Draco was just a boy ... He was stressed out and sad. I've researched it a little bit and it was said that Draco was the only real death eater who could still love, meaning he struggled with doing what his father wanted, but being just a boy, making his father proud seemed like the most important thing in the world. The fact that his dad was abusive and couldn't feel love didn't help either, because Draco probably felt he did something wrong to make his dad so cold and distant, which would fuel his desire to please him even more.
So, where some people say a mean spirited bully, I saw a misunderstood boy who just wanted to please his father.
I also don't see why people say they don't like Draco because he "acted like a wimp" or was "too whiney". I think it's quite obvious that a child with an abusive father, would get scared quite easily by threats of violence ... I honestly felt bad for Draco and wished somebody would at least try being nice to him, instead of getting so offended by his snide remarks.
Also, Draco wasn't a villain in any way. He was mean, yes, but he never did anything evil or wicked. He couldn't bring himself to kill Dumbledore, he couldn't bring himself to turn Harry in and at the end he even wanted to leave the death eaters.
I absolutely loved Draco and that he was a great complex character, with a lot of pieces to fit together and figure out.

I liked the main characters as well, except for Ron ... I found him to be very whiney and unlikeable.
Harry Potter was a good character, more interesting than most heroic main characters since most have no reason behind their actions ... I'm a cynical person, I think you all know that, which is why I dislike the hero characters who are only heroes because they want to be good. I don't believe there a lot, or even few, people who would risk their lives on a daily basis for people they don't know, just because they want to be helpful, or good. However, Harry Potter was interesting and a little more complex than I expected.

I really like Hermione and found her very cute and feisty. The fact that she was a strong, smart female character was also great fun to watch, since most female characters are portrayed as being overly emotional and making bad decisions based on such emotions. I loved how Hermione was so smart and barely ever had emotional outbursts, she seemed realistic and down to earth and even though her character didn't have that much development I found that she didn't really need any. She was entertaining and interesting just as she was.

Edited by ItsSammy
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

• Optic changed the title to Your favourite Harry Potter character?

This is a tough one. I like all characters form the Harry Potter Universe equally to be honest but some favorites of mine that stand out are:

1. Luna

2. Hermione

3. Severus

----

Luna she is very interesting girl and I adore her. Maybe a bit insane or nutty but who cares she's just herself.

Hermione is very clever, intelligent, and caring. I voted for her but If Luna was on there I vote for her first. 

Severus is serioues, intelligent, and has a caring side to him later in the films we see. Over all a very interesting character and I like him.  

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

Snape's story was really amazing for me. Like Harry always thought he was somewhat a villain and later founds out the truth about everything and how he loved Lily Potter. The fact that his love story was one-sided but despite of that he still cared for Harry in all different ways. <3 (Gosh, I've been tripping on those tragic stories again. Gomen )

But throughout the whole Harry Potter Series I simply loved Ron's Character since he's so funny and he serves as an icebreaker especially in serious situations. There are times that you gotta hate his stupidity but I think that's his asset xD 

I loved Hermione too. The smart-ass attitude that you would probably hate about her (which I personally love) might vanish when you realize that she's also trying to be that smart-ass girl to hide the fact that she's a mud blood and she just wants to fit in with the crowd that is held before her :) She's pretty clever too just as Sirius said "You really are the brightest witch of your age" <3 

• Like 1

@BurnsyCEODuring the fourth film, The Goblet Of Fire, when Draco and Lucius are talking to Harry and the Weaslys about the Quidditch world cup.
Although, Lucius does hit him with his walking stick, which I forgot to specify in my earlier post.
Sorry.

Edited by ItsSammy

Um...*blushes* My favorite characters are Harry, Hermione, Dumbledore, Hagrid and, yes, Snape.

Since Harry's the main character, he's got to be one of the favorites, right?

Hermione and Ron are the greatest couple ever! Um, what I was trying to say is that Ron and Hermione are amazing friends!

Let's see...Dumbledore seems to be the kind and intelligent one. Dumbledore's been loved (by me) for his personality, people!

Hagrid seems like the one person to be kind, tell me jokes and be nice to me all the time. Hagrid's personality seems like the one I'll always want.

Snape is pretty handsome for an old (middle-aged) man. I have nothing more to say.

Hm, for the books, my favorite characters were Neville, Ron, the Weasley twins, and Lupin.

For the actual movies...that's tough. I know the movies made me not care for Hermione since they overdid it with her character by up-playing her and downplaying Ron and giving her other characters' lines and actions, including adults like Dumbledore and Arthur. Movie 3 is where I was like, "I'm done" because of the terrible out of character moments, ESPECIALLY Ron..but I did see them all, as I promised myself to. IMO, though, the ONLY movie they got right characterization wise was the first one, even if it did have its flaws.

I guess I would choose Snape, Hagrid, and Draco for the films.

On 12/31/2017 at 9:03 AM, ItsSammy said:

I really like Hermione and found her very cute and feisty. The fact that she was a strong, smart female character was also great fun to watch, since most female characters are portrayed as being overly emotional and making bad decisions based on such emotions. I loved how Hermione was so smart and barely ever had emotional outbursts, she seemed realistic and down to earth and even though her character didn't have that much development I found that she didn't really need any. She was entertaining and interesting just as she was.

This is something I wish they wouldn't have changed from the book. IMO, Hermione came across as too perfect for the movies and since this explanation is long, I'll put it under a spoiler tag.

In movie 1 when they were caught in the Devil's Snare. Ron was panicky, Hermione wasn't.  In the book, it was the other way around.  Hermione was panicky, and it was Ron who talked her into calming down enough to think logically. Hermione's character in the earlier books was panicky under pressure, and rightfully so since she, like Harry, was new to this magical world. Ron and Harry were telling her to make a fire to get rid of the Devil's Snare and she was all like, "But I haven't any wood" and it was Ron that was like, "You're a witch!" and stuff like that, where she cast her magic fire spell. Something she'd been doing on and off throughout the book and even used it on Snape during that Quidditch match. Oh, that's something else I liked in the book. Ron and Hermione keeping an eye on Snape during that match, but got distracted by Crabbe and Goyle and Draco and Ron was fighting Draco while Neville was fighting Crabbe and Goyle. lol

Book 3, Hermione was super emotional because of her falling out with Ron and to an extent, Harry since both boys weren't talking to her for different reasons. Ron was upset because he was certain that Crookshanks hand eaten Scabbers and Hermione refused to even acknowledge it or even consider the possibility since the rat was gone and there was blood on the sheets. All Ron truly wanted was her to just empathize with the situation and she refused. In Harry's case, he was angry at her because she went and told McGonagall about the Firebolt Harry received and it was taken away. On top of that, Hermione was taking extra classes and she was helping Hagrid with Buckbeak's case.  Ron and Harry found out from Hagrid later how she comes down crying and stuff since she was overwhelmed. That's normal.  Later on, when Hermione came to the boys to let them know about what happened regarding Hagrid's case and how they were going to execute Buckbeak, Ron was the one to make the truce saying that they'll all help. Hermione broke down, hugged Ron, and apologized for Crookshanks and Ron took it lightly saying it was okay and stuff and that "Scabbers was old", which showed that he just wanted her to, you know, just acknowledge that. After that, Ron took over for Hermione on researching for Hagrid's case.  

Oh, also in movie 3, there's the part where Ron was dragged off by Sirius whimpering like a fool into the tree and after Harry and Hermione got in, Hermione stood up to protect Harry from him saying he'd have to go through them to get to Harry. This bothered me on many levels.  Sirius lunged at the group in the book. Ron thought he was coming for Harry and pushed him out of the way.  Sirius bit down on Ron and dragged him to the Whomping Willow.  He was fighting and struggling the entire time, not whining for help.  His leg broke, because he used it to hold onto one of the roots in hopes of breaking free. Sirius pulled hard and it popped. 

In the Shrieking Shack, Ron was the one to get up, on his broken leg, no color in his face, blocking Harry and Hermione saying he'd have to go through them to get to Harry more than once.  Instead, they gave all this to Hermione in the film. She was terrified after seeing Sirius there.  I know they couldn't actually do this for the film...but man.  Her time to shine was everything involving the Time Turner.  They didn't need to give her one of Ron's moments too.  Also for the part where only she and Harry used the Time Turner, Ron was unconscious because, when exiting the shack through the Whomping Willow, Ron was tied to Peter and Lupin.  Lupin started to transform while Peter cursed Ron, transformed, and took off. He didn't know about the Time Turner until much later after he'd awakened.[/spoiler]

There are other moments, but I just hated how they elevated Hermione so much and dumbed down Ron to the point of him being pretty much pointless until the first Deathly Hallows movie.  This is why I felt the first movie, and to an extent, the second, got them all close to right.

Edited by ssjup81

On 1/5/2018 at 7:26 AM, ItsSammy said:

@BurnsyCEODuring the fourth film, The Goblet Of Fire, when Draco and Lucius are talking to Harry and the Weaslys about the Quidditch world cup.
Although, Lucius does hit him with his walking stick, which I forgot to specify in my earlier post.
Sorry.

Ok I know that scene but there's no way thats a "hit". It's  more of a "shut up you're too talkative" jab. A family like the malfoys would never be using physical punishment on their son. And draco's attitude isn't the scared and submissive type in front of his dad which you'd expect when he's being abused .

@BurnsyCEOYes, I am sorry. I think my statement came off the wrong way ... I don't see Lucius as being very abusive or anything, however he does seem like the kind of person who would give "correctional jabs" or other such small things, which is actually even more understandable after you see him (upon returning from Azkaban) and how he is treated by Voldemort. I mean, it was clear he had problems with being so talked down to and controlled, since he was always so in control with everything else and this may have led to being a little more abrasive.

However I was just trying to say that Lucius seemed like the kind of person who might give jabs, or slight slaps upside the head if his son was misbehaving or other wise disappointing him. I do however not see him being very abusive and was, in my earlier statement, just implying that Lucius was a strict, stern, tough father who expected a lot from his son. (Since I have done some research and found that he was always on Draco's case for not besting Hermione in tests and the like) My view on the matter was that Lucius was very strict and possibly slightly "abusive" whether mentally or physically, although this was just my first take on the character after just watching the movies for the first time and was more a theory than an actual statement, since I'm not sure how their relationship is portrayed in the books.

*My use of the word abusive varies depending on the situation and I see now that I should have should have specified what I meant by it earlier.*
I simply meant that Lucius might sometimes discipline Draco with harsh words or actions. However, I really do not see him being very abusive since I have recently done some more research and found that both Draco's parents loved him dearly. (Which I did see through out the film) I did not question Lucius's love for his son I was just pointing out that I thought he may have been more physical with his disciplining compared to other parents in the series.

(I'm also sorry if some of my research was incorrect, I've continued to see conflicting "facts" about whether or not Death Eaters can feel love and have even found some people claiming it was apparent Lucius was abusive in the books.(Although I have also found others who disagree with this statement) I would like to apologize if my first statement was in fact incorrect, however I did not want it to seem as if I were acting like my word was fact, instead I just wanted to lay out my first thoughts on the characters and detail what I thought could be going on with them.)

Edited by ItsSammy

2 hours ago, ItsSammy said:

@BurnsyCEOYes, I am sorry. I think my statement came off the wrong way ... I don't see Lucius as being very abusive or anything, however he does seem like the kind of person who would give "correctional jabs" or other such small things, which is actually even more understandable after you see him (upon returning from Azkaban) and how he is treated by Voldemort. I mean, it was clear he had problems with being so talked down to and controlled, since he was always so in control with everything else and this may have led to being a little more abrasive.

However I was just trying to say that Lucius seemed like the kind of person who might give jabs, or slight slaps upside the head if his son was misbehaving or other wise disappointing him. I do however not see him being very abusive and was, in my earlier statement, just implying that Lucius was a strict, stern, tough father who expected a lot from his son. (Since I have done some research and found that he was always on Draco's case for not besting Hermione in tests and the like) My view on the matter was that Lucius was very strict and possibly slightly "abusive" whether mentally or physically, although this was just my first take on the character after just watching the movies for the first time and was more a theory than an actual statement, since I'm not sure how their relationship is portrayed in the books.

*My use of the word abusive varies depending on the situation and I see now that I should have should have specified what I meant by it earlier.*
I simply meant that Lucius might sometimes discipline Draco with harsh words or actions. However, I really do not see him being very abusive since I have recently done some more research and found that both Draco's parents loved him dearly. (Which I did see through out the film) I did not question Lucius's love for his son I was just pointing out that I thought he may have been more physical with his disciplining compared to other parents in the series.

(I'm also sorry if some of my research was incorrect, I've continued to see conflicting "facts" about whether or not Death Eaters can feel love and have even found some people claiming it was apparent Lucius was abusive in the books.(Although I have also found others who disagree with this statement) I would like to apologize if my first statement was in fact incorrect, however I did not want it to seem as if I were acting like my word was fact, instead I just wanted to lay out my first thoughts on the characters and detail what I thought could be going on with them.)

I was never under the impression that Lucius was abusive myself. He just seemed to have high expectations for his son and was hard on him because of that. Maybe he overdid it, given how Draco was in the sixth installment, though.

On 1/13/2018 at 11:12 AM, ItsSammy said:

It's cool. I never cared about draco or lucius enough to look up more than what I read in the books.

Hermione for sure, because she's one of the best female characters i have seen in any series. Half of the time, Harry survived only because Hermione was there to help him out. So surely the brave bookish yet brave muggle born seems to be the life saver of everyone  my fav character in the series. 

Then there's Snape, his character touched me very much. I have never seen such a deep character. The way he disguises himself as a villain to be a true hero is just heart warming. And hasn't anybody noticed the similarities Gin Ichimaru from bleach shares with Snape?!

On 12/30/2017 at 7:24 PM, SAO LILDOOP said:

I have just finished watching the entire Harry Potter series for the very first time and I loved it; There were a lot of really good characters and I would like to know who everyone's favourites were from the films.

1: Severus Snape

Image result for Severus Snape

2: Harry Potter

Image result for Harry Potter

3: Hermione Granger

Image result for Hermione granger

4: Draco Malfoy

Related image

5: Albus Dumbledore

Image result for Albus Dumbledore

6: Voldemort

Related image

7: Ronald Weasley

Image result for ronald weasley

8: Dobby

Image result for Dobby harry potter

Please vote for you're favourite character and if you have more favourites, feel free to list them in the comments.

Surely, this list seems pretty damn good <3

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1