How does High school anime resonate with us?

Hmzzz

High school anime is extremely popular. There are countless series in the anime medium but why is that the case? It's because high school anime resonates with us. We can relate to the characters because we are either enrolling in our high school life or have already experienced it. Furthermore, we become emotionally attached to some of the characters presented and make judgements on their actions. We see them grow and witness  their relationships and friendships develop etc. 

What do you think of high school anime?

Is it something that resonates with you?

I also made a video along with a friend regarding this question. If you are interested feel free to check it out. I think it will give a good understanding of our opinion and what we think. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Hmzzz said:

High school anime is extremely popular. There are countless series in the anime medium but why is that the case? It's because high school anime resonates with us. We can relate to the characters because we are either enrolling in our high school life or have already experienced it. Furthermore, we become emotionally attached to some of the characters presented and make judgements on their actions. We see them grow and witness  their relationships and friendships develop etc. 

What do you think of high school anime?

Is it something that resonates with you?

I also made a video along with a friend regarding this question. If you are interested feel free to check it out. I think it will give a good understanding of our opinion and what we think. 

I don't agree with the reason being it resonates. Honestly, it's because it's easier to write. High Schoolers have no bills, no job (outside random part times), spend all their time essentially building relationships with pretty much no to few responsibilities. 

It's  perfect for most stories and easy to build around. Most anime focus on multiple characters building relationships and usually have something odd that takes up a lot of time (either fighting, creating, or whatever) that would be difficult to easily fit into an adult life with worries about paying bills, a full-time job  (no time to really socialize and build those relationships all day). 

It's easier to use high schoolers. Some really good ones find ways around the issues above. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Beocat said:

I don't agree with the reason being it resonates. Honestly, it's because it's easier to write. High Schoolers have no bills, no job (outside random part times), spend all their time essentially building relationships with pretty much no to few responsibilities. 

It's  perfect for most stories and easy to build around. Most anime focus on multiple characters building relationships and usually have something odd that takes up a lot of time (either fighting, creating, or whatever) that would be difficult to easily fit into an adult life with worries about paying bills, a full-time job  (no time to really socialize and build those relationships all day). 

It's easier to use high schoolers. Some really good ones find ways around the issues above. 

Yeh, i do agree with what you're saying. This also allows the producers to implement certain events like festivals etc. But i still do think it resonates with us, especially via the deep connections we sometimes have with the characters.

Edited by Hmzzz
  • Like 1

There are a few things that make High School anime popular, that I've mentioned before a long while back, but I'll reaffirm them here. For people who are already out of high school, whether they loved it or hated it, high school anime allows them to either relive their own best moments as they watch a show, or in the back of their minds, wish that their own experience with high school has been that memorable or exciting.  For younger people who are still in high school, it's fun fantasize about maybe experiencing similar things during their own high school experience, be it because they are already in high school, or are heading there in the future. There's also a smaller group of people that just finished high school, who are naturally stuck, not sure of where they are going, or what's going to happen next, who are hanging on to some of their memories for comfort's sake, and high school anime helps them relive that, at least to an extent. In the back of our minds, we also know that, or are at least told that certain things are supposed to happen, like a first love or first kiss or first real dance etc. If that doesn't happen for us, we think of high school as disappointing, but anime loves to have those tropes in it, so we enjoy seeing those happen. 

On another note, we are also made to believe that despite it all, high school is meant to be the best four years of our lives, which may or may not be true for some people, but for anime characters, it usually is played out that way. They go through hardships, maybe even death, but by the end of it, they end in love or learn a life lesson that they will carry for he rest of their existence, and that's appealing because it's dramatic and intense and involved. High School anime works, not because it resonates with us, because of how it plays with our emotions, expectations, and hopes, and there will always be people who are okay with that.   

• Like 1

I believe it's because most people have an understanding of what school is so it's easier to write stories for. It's a popular fantasy set to write about since a lot of what's being done is stuff we can easily imagine happening to us at our schools. I remember drawing lots of silly drawings while bored, imaging many wonderful and cool things when I got really bored in certain subjects in school, it's a place of imagination. 

Edited by Blue-Eyes Loli Dragon
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Blue-Eyes Loli Dragon said:

I believe it's because most people have an understanding of what school is so it's easier to write stories for. It's a popular fantasy set to write about since a lot of what's being done is stuff we can easily imagine happening to us at our schools. I remember drawing lots of silly drawings while bored, imaging many wonderful and cool things when I got really bored in certain subjects in school, it's a place of imagination. 

I also think that real life high schools are not as fun as they may seem in anime. I guess it gives people the incentive to enjoy high school and appreciate it for what it offers.

23 hours ago, RepentantSky said:

There are a few things that make High School anime popular, that I've mentioned before a long while back, but I'll reaffirm them here. For people who are already out of high school, whether they loved it or hated it, high school anime allows them to either relive their own best moments as they watch a show, or in the back of their minds, wish that their own experience with high school has been that memorable or exciting.  For younger people who are still in high school, it's fun fantasize about maybe experiencing similar things during their own high school experience, be it because they are already in high school, or are heading there in the future. There's also a smaller group of people that just finished high school, who are naturally stuck, not sure of where they are going, or what's going to happen next, who are hanging on to some of their memories for comfort's sake, and high school anime helps them relive that, at least to an extent. In the back of our minds, we also know that, or are at least told that certain things are supposed to happen, like a first love or first kiss or first real dance etc. If that doesn't happen for us, we think of high school as disappointing, but anime loves to have those tropes in it, so we enjoy seeing those happen. 

On another note, we are also made to believe that despite it all, high school is meant to be the best four years of our lives, which may or may not be true for some people, but for anime characters, it usually is played out that way. They go through hardships, maybe even death, but by the end of it, they end in love or learn a life lesson that they will carry for he rest of their existence, and that's appealing because it's dramatic and intense and involved. High School anime works, not because it resonates with us, because of how it plays with our emotions, expectations, and hopes, and there will always be people who are okay with that.   

I do agree. In fact, i have been influenced myself after watching a show. Obviously, high school anime doesn't change my perspective on things entirely but to an extent, even if it's really little, it can change my life for the better and has done so in the past.

• Like 2

• Geano locked this topic