Trying out Crunchyroll , do you use it what's your impression ?

Wodahs

Ok yesterday thought I'd try out a different provider than the ones I use to watch anime on

Seeing Crunchyroll ,who I've been with but never use nor had then as a paid service so had the adds when I did use them on the odd occasion , was offering me a 30 day free trial of their paid service I decided to check them out a little more

First impressions ~ I'm not liking them

Minor but it seems a little harder to find things you'd expect to find easily , but that may be just as much as the fact it's different to what I'm use to

But the major problem I'm seeing (with the first and only anime IV watched since beginning the trial , children of the either) is that even tho it seems to be down and up loading at higher speeds than others I've used it kept stoping till it down loaded the next block , even when I used this service at its basic with the adds it didn't seem to need this constraint stopping , and the down load speeds were above 3Mbts so it surprised me I didn't have a smooth stream but stoped 4 or 5 times

So is this usual and others that have/do use Crunchyroll what's been your experience , as I'm not wanting to be paying for a service that's useless to me

I never had a opportunity to get a Churchyroll membership since its a bit pricey for me and I can't afford it monthly. But when I searched online for some anime's & dramas  they have on there website they only have few on there and not a whole bunch as I thought they would of have. Basically they don't have everything ( I think ).  So for me personally I don't think I'll ever get a membership on Chrcuhyroll to get premium access to watch more of there shows on the website. More or less I'm old fashioned and like to rent or buy anime from a store than watch it online, but again that's just me. Reason why is so I could build a collection of anime things. But then again sometimes it is easy to watch online as well, I'll admit. 

• 1 month later...

I use Crunchyroll as one of their paying Premium Members religiously every single day and I’m super active over there, both anime watching wise and socially wise! I’ve always been a massively passionate and devoted Crunchyroll fan and user! 

Edited by C_C_S

It is alright for me, it's a bit annoying with the ads, but other than that it's better than nothing. Don't go on the forums though, kind of cancerous..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wedgy said:

My BF subbed to crunchyroll a little ways back because he wanted to watch Dragonball Super. At first, our only mediums were on our PC or via the Xbox1 app. Our grievances all came from the XB1 app because it is hot garbage and seems to be on its rag 150% of the time. Sometimes it fails to load an anime, and sometimes, the stupid thing won't even open. Our free trial was thus wasted on it because we could only get it to open a handful of times. I can't even count with all twenty fingers and toes how many times I got home from work to find him sitting angrily in his recliner trying to open the XB1 app. I even saw the reviews on the MS Store; this has been an ongoing issue for well over 3 years and that tells me there has been no effort to fix the problem.

Around Xmas time I decided to buy him an Apple TV (I know there are other options, this is just the one I decided on.) We downloaded the CR app on that and haven't had a single issue with it since. In fact, it works beautifully now with no complaints. Can even stream Prime, Hulu, Netflix, and VUDU on that thing- was a pretty ace purchase. Anyway, since then we've been able to watch tons of anime on CR and love the service. Just gotta have the right tools, I guess?

We have an Apple TV at home too, I might consider using that in the future..

I like Crunchyroll but definitely prefer Funimation over it.  

I like that on Funimation you can generally choose between the dub and sub while, from what I've seen on Crunchyroll, there's only the sub. IDK if it's just me but Funimation also seems easier to navigate, who knows, maybe it's just preference. 

14 minutes ago, Dekumyhero said:

I like Crunchyroll but definitely prefer Funimation over it.  

I like that on Funimation you can generally choose between the dub and sub while, from what I've seen on Crunchyroll, there's only the sub. IDK if it's just me but Funimation also seems easier to navigate, who knows, maybe it's just preference. 

Maybe I should give it a look too.

I've been a Crunchy "premium+" subscriber for years now.  Funimation seemed to be all about dubs at the time so I went for Crunchy.  Since then Crunchy has added some dubs and I understand that Funi has added (some?) subs so that's probably not the defining characteristic anymore.   Funi was also into exclusives though, which I'm morally opposed to.  (Hate it when the show you want is on the other network & I don't have the $$ to subscribe to everything!)  I've seen a few things recently which had been Funi-exclusives however so maybe that's changing too.

Crunchy's web interface is a bit clunky, but definitely serviceable (and the only way to reorder your queue easily).  They also have apps for iOS, android, and roku that I use frequently.  I haven't used the Wii in a while but they had a decent app for that as recently as a year or so ago as well.  Crunchy also has drama shows and english translations of manga, if you're into that.  There's also a message forum, a news section, and a store, none of which I'm really into.  Occasionally I check the news section, but it isn't my prime source for anything.  As far as anime goes though I like the service.

If I had to say something bad about crunchy, my only complaint would be that they don't offer a way to view their library content offline, even with their iOS/android apps.  I'd like to be able to load up a few anime episodes for viewing on a plane/etc, or watch the HD version even if I'm on a low-bandwidth link.  Also, they do simulcasts and occasionally their bandwidth drops precipitously when a new episode of a popular show comes out.  A couple times now I've had to come back later because their servers were overloaded, even though I'm more a binge-viewer and don't keep up with the latest-and-greatest.

Sorry, I'd offer a crunchy guest pass to anyone that wanted it but I've already given mine away.  :( If anyone's interested, let me know & I'll send you the next one when I get it.  Also if you have specific questions I'd be happy to answer.

@efaardvark I agree with your points, Crunchyroll could definitely be better, but it could also be way worse.

About that guest pass… If no one else asks for it, I offer myself to take it (^~^)

@Roxeg sent you one via pm

@efaardvark I still am using crunchy and I think id like to be able to load animes too and also like to be able to easier jump back say 20 sec for if I missed something but apart from my internet restricting to be able to make full of premium , I'm still using them

unfortunately I cant get funi but do also have animelab and I think its the same price as crunchy but not as set up think if I could get funi of drop animelab at least

• Friendly 1

On 03/03/2018 at 4:21 PM, Roxeg said:

It is alright for me, it's a bit annoying with the ads, but other than that it's better than nothing. Don't go on the forums though, kind of cancerous..

I couldn’t agree more with you on that! I also keep well away from posting in the forums over on there too! If any of you would like to add me as a buddy over there, then please feel free to do so if you like! Here’s the link to my profile! - 

http://www.crunchyroll.com/user/C_C_S

• Friendly 1

2 minutes ago, C_C_S said:

I couldn’t agree more with you on that! I also keep well away from posting in the forums over on there too! If any of you would like to add me as a buddy over there, then please feel free to do so if you like! Here’s the link to my profile! - 

http://www.crunchyroll.com/user/C_C_S

Thanks, I'll do so immediatley.

• Cute (Kawaii) 1

I really enjoy Guest Book chatting with my buddies! I’ve had to disable my PM inbox though as I’ve had some pretty bad and rather nasty experiences with that in the past with receiving a load of horrible and unwanted messages from people over there who aren’t even my buddies and who are nothing more than total strangers...It all got too much and I was feeling uncomfortable so it just had to be done, as I’m sure you can understand ¬¬

7 minutes ago, C_C_S said:

I really enjoy Guest Book chatting with my buddies! I’ve had to disable my PM inbox though as I’ve had some pretty bad and rather nasty experiences with that in the past with receiving a load of horrible and unwanted messages from people over there who aren’t even my buddies and who are nothing more than total strangers...It all got too much and I was feeling uncomfortable so it just had to be done, as I’m sure you can understand ¬¬

That's definitely fine, I know how annoying it can be to constantly get messages from starngers like that. I'll make sure to leave a message from time to time in the guest book മ◡മ

• Cute (Kawaii) 1

Fridays are the busiest day of the whole week for me at the moment anime-watching wise on CR! I have 5 separate simulcast episodes airing that day each week! In stark comparison to the just 2 simulcast episodes I have to watch on both Saturday and Sunday, lol!

Edited by C_C_S
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, C_C_S said:

Fridays are the busiest day of the whole week for me at the moment anime-watching wise on CR! I have 5 separate simulcast episodes airing that day each week! In stark comparison to the just 2 simulcast episodes I have to watch on both Saturday and Sunday, lol!

I'll make sure to watch something tonight too.

• Like 1

Just now, C_C_S said:

Good stuff!!! Wednesdays are my only completely anime-free day of the whole week!

Well snap, got the most work on Wednesdays?

• Sad 1

Just now, C_C_S said:

Not so much because of work (unfortunately) as I am still very much unemployed, it’s more just a case of not having any simulcasts to watch on that particular day that I have already chosen to watch 

Aye right, makes sense, all good then.

(Little tip, if you remember, quote or mention the user you're answering so they notice the answer faster (◑‿◐) )

• Like 1

• Geano locked this topic