Favorite 90s or old school anime?

OtakuTrash

As the title suggests, I was wondering what some favorite old series for some people are. Inuyasha, Fruits Basket, Get Backers, Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, old school Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh, Sailor Moon, Serial Experiments Lain are just a few I like

Didn't care for a lot of 90s anime. Inuyasha, Dragon Ball, Gundam, Sailor Moon, Pokemon.  Not my thing.  Crest of the Stars was popular, but I was lukewarm on it.  Lain was good.  Also The Big O, Ah! My Goddess!, Trigun, Blue Gender, FLCL.  I'd have to look at dates.  Seemed like the early naught-ies brought a bunch of good anime - Haibane Renmei, Last Exile, Ghost in the Shell, Planetes - but I'm having trouble remembering anything interesting before that.  Nothing that makes me want to go watch it again anyway.

yer id say id have at least a handful in of watched ones in my list that fall in to this category that haven't been mentioned but id have to go back thru the list to remember the names

6 hours ago, OtakuTrash said:

As the title suggests, I was wondering what some favorite old series for some people are. Inuyasha, Fruits Basket, Get Backers, Yu Yu Hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, old school Pokemon or Yu-Gi-Oh, Sailor Moon, Serial Experiments Lain are just a few I like

bout the only one mentioned here that I really liked was Rurouni Kenshin

2 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Didn't care for a lot of 90s anime. Inuyasha, Dragon Ball, Gundam, Sailor Moon, Pokemon.  Not my thing.  Crest of the Stars was popular, but I was lukewarm on it.  Lain was good.  Also The Big O, Ah! My Goddess!, Trigun, Blue Gender, FLCL.  I'd have to look at dates.  Seemed like the early naught-ies brought a bunch of good anime - Haibane Renmei, Last Exile, Ghost in the Shell, Planetes - but I'm having trouble remembering anything interesting before that.  Nothing that makes me want to go watch it again anyway.

most of your list ive watched and liked as well and also tend to agree with the rest of your statement on the matter too

On 1/9/2018 at 2:43 AM, Zanixels said:

One of my favourites from the 90s was definitely Outlaw Star along with Cowboy Bebop, but youve probs seen them before

Outlaw Star was one I also looked forward to every episode.  Haven't watched it since though.  Might have to look that one up and give it another go.

Thinking of doing the same with Trigun.

For me, there aren't many anime in general that have "rewatch" value.  The list is fairly small for me and I don't really watch many newer things due to lack of interest...but a couple of series I still have a soft spot for and own and would rewatch are Gundam Wing and Cowboy Bebop. I still love these two series and still marathon them at least once a year...well, back home I did anyway, but I do get in the mood to watch these 90s anime shows.

Other favorite "old-school" anime for me is Lupin III (the first iteration of the show from the early 70s where Lupin would wear the green jacket...i also liked that pilot movie from the late 60s) and Yoroiden Samurai Troopers (80s).

Edited by ssjup81

1 hour ago, ssjup81 said:

For me, there aren't many anime in general that have "rewatch" value.

I'm pretty much the same way.  While I'll watch pretty much anything at least enough to apply the 3 episode rule, the list of ones I've watched (or wanted to watch) enough times to justify buying for my own collection is fairly small.  I've been watching anime since the 80s  but there's only about a dozen titles on my shelf.  Maybe another 2 or 3 on streaming sites that I'd buy if they disappeared or I lost access for some reason.

• 1 month later...
  • Geano locked this topic