Manga vs Anime

Optic

I don't generally prefer one over the other, but if I had to I'd choose manga because I feel that I'm getting more for my money. I'd rather get several volumes of manga than spend the same amount on a set of Blu-rays or DVDs.

On 6/21/2018 at 9:42 PM, Wedgy said:

As a book lover, I just have to say I disagree verily with that "words cannot create feelings" bit. I've read more books that touched me on an emotional level than any anime has ever.

Speaking for myself, anyway.

If you suggest a good book that’s does creats feeling and are interesting then I will change my opinion. I will try my best to actualy finish it as well. I only read articles and news because I am aspiring to be a politician. 

On 6/21/2018 at 5:23 PM, brycec said:

This really depends on how good the staff are and such. Yes, you do have music and other things to help set things up, but that has it limits.

As for my own thoughts on things, I tend to prefer manga. The stories tend to be better a lot of the time and I can connect with the characters better and see why they are acting the way they do, such as why Chise in Ancient Magus Bride slaps Angelica (the anime made it seem more like a teen lashing out for no reason, whereas I could actually feel the bite that triggered Chise’s response in the manga), as well as contain less plot holes, as is the case with Detective Conan.

Okay you got my interest. I will try reading a manga and the one you stated because it seems interesting. 

• 1 month later...

Light Novels are my go to between the three mediums. If I have to pick between the two originally stated, then probably manga. I like reading in general so there's the reason for my preference.

After watching an anime adaptation then reading the original source material afterwards, I usually discover that they usually skip out on details and events (which I understand due to pacing and time constraints) and that kinda bums me out.

An example at this point of time would be the Grand Blue anime. As a manga reader I think it's really lacking in comparison to the manga. The jokes don't hit as hard since they miss the set up and timing (which is crucial) and sometimes are just completely skipped over which sucks. Although from what I've seen from Anime-Only people, they seem to be really enjoying it which is a good thing.

As much as I love Mushoku Tensei, I'm not sure how I'd feel if they ever did an anime adaptation. The manga is already missing a lot of details from the Light Novel. 

And just thinking about Vagabond as an anime makes me think it isn't possible.

Edited by Decimo

I like both for different reasons. I do not disagree that in manga the characters tend to be more real compared to anime. They also tend to be less saturated with over dramatic personality treats. While this is often the funny part about anime, and often gives it its charm. I feel it is often overplayed especially  in dubs. In manga there is still a defined personality for each character. Though I find even more so in cases with a manga that dose not have a anime along with the series that you can more easily imagine their personality for yourself making the story more enjoyable in a lot of ways. Mind you that is just me nit picking really. I enjoy anime as much as manga, but for different reason. Though there really is nothing like a good manga read since it is more often then not the original souse material.

I like both anime and manga. Often, when I watch an anime I'll check the manga too. A lot of content in the manga doesn't get included in the anime, for one reason or another. And of course, there are the Light Novels but I have yet to read one. They say there's also content in Light Novels that do not show up on the anime or manga.

18 hours ago, Palatine said:

I like both anime and manga. Often, when I watch an anime I'll check the manga too. A lot of content in the manga doesn't get included in the anime, for one reason or another. And of course, there are the Light Novels but I have yet to read one. They say there's also content in Light Novels that do not show up on the anime or manga.

Yah manga is of course the original source material in most cases with a few exceptions of course. I do find it interesting when I am first getting iinto a series to note the main differences between the anime, and manga which tend to be quite stark. 

11 hours ago, NastiaTan said:

I like Anime more. Because there is beautiful music and an interesting story

Another thing that is really nice about anime that I like is the plot is often extended for a tv block. This adds complexity that is often not present in the manga telling of the story. Sometimes this can be annoying. Though I think in most cases its done right.

1 hour ago, ArchieKun said:

Another thing that is really nice about anime that I like is the plot is often extended for a tv block. This adds complexity that is often not present in the manga telling of the story. Sometimes this can be annoying. Though I think in most cases its done right.

I think in some cases this is absolutely true. However, sometimes pacing becomes an absolute issue for adaptations. Especially when they draw things out to fit that TV schedule and the overall quality of the adaptation takes a hit because of it. I guess an example of where this is quite prominent would be One Piece, although that's what I've been told by fans since I don't watch or read the series myself.

6 minutes ago, Decimo said:

I think in some cases this is absolutely true. However, sometimes pacing becomes an absolute issue for adaptations. Especially when they draw things out to fit that TV schedule and the overall quality of the adaptation takes a hit because of it. I guess an example of where this is quite prominent would be One Piece, although that's what I've been told by fans since I don't watch or read the series myself.

That is the main thing that keeps me away from a lot of so called mainstream anime series. It tends to get over saturated with filler even in only a part of the episode  sometimes. Naruto is another big offender of this even in the newest series even though from what I heard there is quite a bit less.

4 hours ago, Wedgy said:

Are there not fan-written "guides" to these animes so that you can watch only the story driven episodes and skip the filler? I know there exist such guides for Gintama (although why would you want to skip the fillers, Gintama is hysterical?) 

Dragonball Z addressed the issue of there being too much bulk even in story episodes by intruducing Kai, which is more or less an abridged version. It cuts a lot of pointless scream sessions and filler content so much that one episode of Kai covers two episodes of the classic DBZ. 

* Jump appears to be a serial offender when it comes to long-running, over saturated anime series. 

DBZ Kai is a good example of anime remade during the area when the industry started to respond to the majoruty view that filler is a waste of time. Even though fillers purpose was to allow the manga of the same series to release on a similar schedule to the anime. In the case of series like DBZ, Yugioh Duel Monsters, Inuyasha, and Naruto the filler is so woven in to the original series that it almost feels odd without it. Almost like the manga is telling a different story even though it isn't. DBZ Kai, FMA Brotherhood, and a host of others from the area tried to remove this filler. On one hand it worked, but on the other it just felt weird.

I would suggest in cases like Naruto, and One Piece given the length of the series to use a watch guide. As you were saying. Those series are just to long, and saturated to fully watch even if you were taking filler out of the picture they'd still be very long series.

4 hours ago, SailorUranus2018 said:

Personally, I'm not really into comics or manga. I really like books though but I don't like looking at pictures. I much rather look at moving pictures aka frames or gifs. 

I can see where you come from in this mind set, but often even with pictures/art right in front of you with a comic, and manga you can still imagine their personality. This can be very powerful even more so if you are less Fillmore with the series in question.

14 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

I can see where you come from in this mind set, but often even with pictures/art right in front of you with a comic, and manga you can still imagine their personality. This can be very powerful even more so if you are less Fillmore with the series in question.

True...but for me, it's a meh situation. It's like I can't two things at the same time such as look at pictures and read. I think the last comic/manga I read was I Kill Giants which was years ago. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, I can see where others are coming from with this. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SailorUranus2018 said:

True...but for me, it's a meh situation. It's like I can't two things at the same time such as look at pictures and read. I think the last comic/manga I read was I Kill Giants which was years ago. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, I can see where others are coming from with this. 

I suppose I never thought about it that way. I just always thought of the panels in a comic, or graphic novel to be more of a supportive thing to further help describe the story being told, but to each their own. To your point though I do see how pics can be somewhat detracting especially in a deeply woven story.

On 8/22/2018 at 10:05 AM, NastiaTan said:

I like Anime more. Because there is beautiful music and an interesting story

There's interaction because the characters are moving and talking. I only dislike anime when it deviates radically from the manga, as was the case with Akame Ga Kill. 

For me the anime that are based on manga, the manga (most of the time) will be better than the anime. Like an example, The Tokyo ghoul manga was WAAAAYYY BETTER than the anime (for me).

Of course, there are some great  anime based on manga. idk i prefer both  manga and anime. 

On 6/20/2018 at 11:05 AM, Part_time_anime said:

I have never read a manga in my life because I don’t like reading and  words cannot creat feelings like An anime can. 

wth? don't you have imagination? (no offense)   Idk but for as a book lover and words DO can create feelings. 

On 10/19/2014 at 7:15 PM, Pokii said:

Tbh, I'm mostly watching anime from the start, but I didn't know some series starts from the manga. Therefore, I don't read manga as that much as I expected. Recently, I've started reading some manga (I forgot the names xp) and I must say they're more interesting than Anime.

It doesn't necessary mean Anime are superior than the Manga. Take Attack of Titan for example, since the manga is updated first and far ahead than the anime. It shows that the Manga has its own advantages. Attack of Titan is going to have its 2nd season in 2015. :P

I like both anime and manga and they have their own flaws. Therefore, if I love the anime series, then I would read the manga and see the story ahead (like Attack of Titan, Haikyuu!!, etc).

Tokyo Ghoul is based on manga.

I recommend to read the manga its really the best 

The anime for Tokyo Ghoul is a complete joke in comparison to the manga, like LOL. They skip a whole bunch of character developments and sub plots that occur between the missed interactions.

The 2nd season for Tokyo Ghoul: RE is going to be a massive train wreck, trying to fit the rest of the 122 chapters left that are not adapted into a 12 or even 24 episode cour season is hilarious to think about.

There's too much to fit in such a few number of episodes.

But anyway, read the manga if you're interested in Tokyo Ghoul, it's quite the ride.

Yes Not to say Tokyo Ghoul is a bad anime by itself though when you see the manga the anime is a poorly executed junk bucket. All things considered it is good for a laugh though.

57 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

Yes Not to say Tokyo Ghoul is a bad anime by itself though when you see the manga the anime is a poorly executed junk bucket. All things considered it is good for a laugh though.

You make a great point. If the viewer is an anime-only and hasn't read the manga, the anime adaptation is probably okay for the most part. It's just that the moment you start reading the manga, the anime adaptation's flaws and issues become very apparent in comparison. Although it is neat to see your favorite characters from the series animated and voiced.

3 minutes ago, Decimo said:

You make a great point. If the viewer is an anime-only and hasn't read the manga, the anime adaptation is probably okay for the most part. It's just that the moment you start reading the manga, the anime adaptation's flaws and issues become very apparent in comparison. Although it is neat to see your favorite characters from the series animated and voiced.

This pattern is often true for most anime. Thing we all have to remember that anime isn't manga nor is it the original source material. Anime is just as you say an adaption therefore it is going to skip, or change certain things to appeal to a tv audience compared to a reading audience. Anime much like any other tv, or movie adaption of a book tends to take away the feeling of imagination that you can only properly get from a book. This is true both in novels, and graphic novels.

• 4 weeks later...

I always try to read the manga first of anything I desire to watch. But always fall short of that desire at the same time...and end up watching the anime more than I have the chance to read the manga. I enjoy both perspectives of imagination, creativity and writing into adaptations and the manga itself. I've gotten to read a few manga series before watching them or watched it and got myself to go back and read and found two things I always enjoy. 

One: Being able to constructively compare the anime to the manga in what stayed the same and what was altered from the source. 

Two: Is when the source material is either anime first or was light novel adapted into anime then adapted into a manga last ^^ Haganai I Dont Have Many Friends is great example of such and so is Gosick and RWBY. This kind of adaptation into a manga always shows a fresh take from a artist being given freewill to recreate something we already enjoyed and make it their own so we can enjoy it in a totally different perspective. 

P.S. I read Five Centimeters Per Second (In one sitting is that right term of expression?) which I also own the film but am afraid to watch it cause of just one page being different the manga lol. Any advice to any who have maybe already read and watched the adaptation.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say I like anime more but I'd prefer it over manga in most cases. Usually if I watch an anime and it has ended or a next season is far away I'd continue reading it in the manga, apart from that I've read a few manga with out an anime adaptation but I mainly prefer shorter ones and really try to avoid airing manga since I don't like having to wait so long for a new chapter which takes only a few minutes to read.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Talk about personal preference!

My point of view will always be that one cannot honestly put up a comparison on which was better. Yes, it can be easily done and has. But a manga will always have the original story and detailed information. One cannot expect an anime series to have the same elements as a manga. That's just ludicrous. If there is an anime based off of a manga, chances are things were changed or left out for certain reasons or just trying to give it a different spin. It's like books being made into a movie and people always saying the book was much better. I find it fun when you see your favorite manga being turned into an anime and most times the show is pretty decent and sometimes some turn out really freaking amazing. Then there are those moments where you wish it was left on the manga and not animated. The more passionate you are about the manga, the more you'll criticize the anime. That's how I see it. It just depends on your attachment to the manga.

7 hours ago, Persona said:

Talk about personal preference!

My point of view will always be that one cannot honestly put up a comparison on which was better. Yes, it can be easily done and has. But a manga will always have the original story and detailed information. One cannot expect an anime series to have the same elements as a manga. That's just ludicrous. If there is an anime based off of a manga, chances are things were changed or left out for certain reasons or just trying to give it a different spin. It's like books being made into a movie and people always saying the book was much better. I find it fun when you see your favorite manga being turned into an anime and most times the show is pretty decent and sometimes some turn out really freaking amazing. Then there are those moments where you wish it was left on the manga and not animated. The more passionate you are about the manga, the more you'll criticize the anime. That's how I see it. It just depends on your attachment to the manga.

This is a very good point. It's not really a choice to pick between them, because although they contain the same story, like @Persona said, things do get left out when taking a piece of literature, either graphic or text, changes are made to fit the budget and time allotted for a serial or film production.

Personal experience, Shijou Saikyou no Deshi: Kenichi dropped the last two thirds of the story from production and cut off after the final episode of the first complete story arc. I was disappointed because I had also picked up reading the manga and knew that there was more content and the story was only getting deeper and more interesting, to me, at that point. They made attempts at a later time to fill out the series, but never completed it and some of the additional episodes/OVAs/short films, left out a lot of content that made the manga interesting so, that is something I easily picked up on.

Another case in point, the conclusion to the Fairy Tail anime skips about at least a full volume's worth of content that was in the manga at the very beginning, the episode that's supposed to follow the finale of the second series. I wasn't even able to get more than 5 minutes into the episode and haven't watched the new series at all because I was so disappointed that they skipped a really good mini-arc.

While I do understand WHY they cut/change content, doesn't always make the anime or manga better than what it's based on.