Manga vs Anime

Optic

I feel overall a character's thoughts are better conveyed in manga, but an anime of course is more immersive with its mesmerising animation and soundtrack.

Yet... characters are what make or break these titles. I find the pacing is better in manga as more minor characters do get featured whereas with most anime, screen time is limited for many characters. Unless it's an ongoing series or a title with multiple seasons, usually a handful of characters will get most of the spotlight.

What are your thoughts on manga vs anime in general?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Tbh, I'm mostly watching anime from the start, but I didn't know some series starts from the manga. Therefore, I don't read manga as that much as I expected. Recently, I've started reading some manga (I forgot the names xp) and I must say they're more interesting than Anime.

It doesn't necessary mean Anime are superior than the Manga. Take Attack of Titan for example, since the manga is updated first and far ahead than the anime. It shows that the Manga has its own advantages. Attack of Titan is going to have its 2nd season in 2015. :P

I like both anime and manga and they have their own flaws. Therefore, if I love the anime series, then I would read the manga and see the story ahead (like Attack of Titan, Haikyuu!!, etc).

• 2 weeks later...

I usually find that I can get more attached to the characters when reading manga. I also like the pacing of manga a lot better. The only downside to it is that a lot of titles are still being published and come out anywhere from a month at a time to several months. I like the fact that anime comes out every week consistently. (I realize this is the case for some manga, but I'm not really interested in long running shounen.) Also, action genres are usually way better in the anime (assuming that the producing company is any good like with the new Fate/Stay Night series).

• Like 2

Fully depends on the genre and series in general. Some does it better in manga while others do it better in anime. However, anime gives me more emotions than manga does, while manga gives me more information than the anime does. All in all, one is more subjective and the other is objective. (Info vs feelings) I like to read manga to avoid being spoiled, and lately I've even gotten emotional over "sad" anime scenes that I knew were coming from reading the manga. Personally though, I actually prefer anime but it takes so much time.

I'm more of a manga person but I started off with anime.

Since anime is based on the manga and sometimes takes a turn with the addition of filler, I stick to manga more often - unless the series isn't based on a manga.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Evil_Hunter

I prefer Anime, because you see action and the characters move. In manga you have to read it backwards and don't know what is going on! In anime there are no thought bubble's like in Manga. So i will and forever be with Anime

I like watching the anime and reading the manga, or continuing an anime that ended without actually finishing by reading the manga, when theres no chance the anime will continue whatsoever like D grey man, it varies in my opinion which might be better.

Guest Evil_Hunter

DBZ Ended amd still has stuff coming out! DBZFG's! came out! In 2015 another movie come's out!**

*Who is ready for the new DBZ film in 2015! DBZ Hype? #DBZ2015*

• 1 month later...

I prefer manga to anime, but it also depends on the genre. Like maybe an action series would work better in an animated style. I will say this, though. Manga holds my attention more than anime does, generally.

• 3 weeks later...

I love both Manga and Anime equally as they both have their own strong and weak points I tend to read more of the slow paced stories as they fit manga much better than action and fast paced stories which do much better in animation as the battles get the full attention they deserve due to the added impact .The slower paced stories do better in manga as the frame by frame allows you to get through things faster and find those little details that would take multiple re-watching's to find in an anime , Hajime no Ippo ( my favorite long running manga) is a good mix of both fast and slow pace and shows this quite well . The fight scenes while great are really not done proper justice in the manga , while the day to day life of Ippo and his romantic escapades (or rather his trying to be romantic and failing horribly because he's such a nervous wreck around the girl he likes) is not as good in the anime as it is in the manga .

• 1 month later...

Chances are it all comes down to whether an anime is actually adapted from a manga or not. It's practically the opposite when it comes to original anime that get manga adaptions, and it's all fairly up in the air when it comes to anime AND manga adaptions from other sources, but that much is probably obvious.

But I do think when it is adapted from a manga, sometimes too much detail is cut when adapting and sometimes not that much, so it can turn out possibly better with the addition of things only anime can do, full color, OST, voices, op & ed themes, and most obvious of all, animation. In the end I think that last one's the main drawing point and why so far I've just mostly always gravitated toward anime myself. As Optic put it, it is definitely more immersive.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anime is generally prettier to look at, but overall I generally like manga more. Generally the characters seem to be more fleshed out in them, plus the anime adaptations for many mangas that I've read tend to have a lot less to them than the manga did in terms of story and events.

For some reason, manga often have the better stories than anime. Sure, manga have their own share of generic shounen stories, but due to anime adaptations being made for the sheer sake of profit, a cheap advertisement cut down to whatever episodes the studio executives demanded, anime have more opportunities for failure to tell a good story, or at least, a story that would have been told better without the impatience and urgency in manga form.

For that reason, I prefer manga. However, I don't like reading, and I prefer the more dynamic storytelling of anime with music and pretty graphics (I'm superficial like that). Which is why I watch anime more than I read manga. If the mediums of anime and manga could combine their benefits together, that would be the best of both worlds, of course, but that's an idealistic naivety that only exists in fantasy land.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally I prefer Anime,as it's obviously more lucid and the sounds/music are more easily conveyed, though I do appreciate Manga and read those as well.

I personally prefer animes because just as @Nuh1000 said the sounds and music are easily conveyed in animes. The same goes for the feelings of the characters that is more noticeable and real in watching animes. I'm trying to read mangas at the moment tho but I would really prefer animes.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't get into manga. There's much less atmosphere for obvious reasons. It's hard for me to focus on it, and it's a shame, because I know there's a lot of quality stuff out there, but I simply cannot do it. I read extremely quickly, so I'll just skim through all the text and move on at lightning speed. Slowing down to appreciate the art or really take things in properly is too hard for me. I lack disciprine. Anime's got a fixed pacing for itself, though, so it takes care of it for me.

• 3 years later...

Hmm, let's see...

I began my journey to Otaku Land with anime. But, well, for some reason I prefer manga to anime. I tried to get into some new anime, but I just couldn't do it. I'm totally a manga supporter, because it's the only thing I can get into now.

22 hours ago, Part_time_anime said:

I have never read a manga in my life because I don’t like reading and  words cannot creat feelings like An anime can. 

This really depends on how good the staff are and such. Yes, you do have music and other things to help set things up, but that has it limits.

As for my own thoughts on things, I tend to prefer manga. The stories tend to be better a lot of the time and I can connect with the characters better and see why they are acting the way they do, such as why Chise in Ancient Magus Bride slaps Angelica (the anime made it seem more like a teen lashing out for no reason, whereas I could actually feel the bite that triggered Chise’s response in the manga), as well as contain less plot holes, as is the case with Detective Conan.

• Like 1

It really depends on the series I'll take one of my favorite series for example.  Mysterious Girlfriend X.  The Anime is pretty okay, it's very odd and in the beginning you can't help but think "What am I watching" but it somehow snags you and you get to enjoy the experience for the most part.  But When I read the manga it completely sucked me into it.  By the end I had cried and laughed several times.  It was an amazing experience that left me with a sense of heartbreak after I was done, Just because it was finally over.  

On a different not I actually enjoy both, and seeing the difference between to the two.  There are some anime that I love that I just wish I could find the manga so I could see how different or similar it is.  Like "Death March to a parallel world Rhapsody", I'd read the hell out of that one and "Love Chunibyo and other delusions"