Violet Evergarden - Episode Discussion

Optic

This is the episode discussion topic for Violet Evergarden.

General discussion topic:

I've started this topic a little late with 3 episodes already aired but of course feel free to join the discussion at any episode!

---

Episode 1: 7/10

violet-evergarden-e01-on-bed.thumb.jpg.6785510fe1057fa3fb66719a1adf7d22.jpg

Violet wakes up to recovering from wounds, and is accompanied to a new home in the beautiful port city of Leiden.

We also get a glimpse of Violet's past with her serving Major Gilbert during the war. But now the war is now over and Violet is forced to adapt to a peaceful life, and continues to try finding the major (not knowing his true fate after his last words to her "I love you,"). And with that, Violet decides she wants to become an Auto Memory Doll after hearing those same words again.

violet-evergarden-e01-leiden.thumb.jpg.3812170b2bd2a47ba6ada0c078d6ffdf.jpg

It was cute seeing Violet working so diligently working in the post office! It was quite amusing seeing her surprise everyone with her very efficient abilities.

Overall a very beautiful and stylish start to the series.

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1

Episode 3:

VE3.png.31836fe3b3a79988172084dd5d8c5950.png

VE1.png.a6d736cf4877b040de9cde8328a196ec.png

Um, weren't the Auto Memory Doll occupation only created after the war? I find it hard to believe anyone would have this sort of attitude regarding them after only a few years.

VE2.png.b2421833589c3214cc9bd463b38f4d92.png

Has anyone ever seen that movie Vertigo? This shot reminded me of it.

VE4.png.d45cee959d76bd95f4b320f605dc599c.png

I should take this to heart. It's not easy to express one's feelings but I guess it might not be as hard as I think.

Edited by Mars Terra
  • Like 1

@Mars Terra

Regarding the origin of the Auto Memory Doll occupation, I can't remember exactly but was it really mentioned it only started appearing after the war? I thought it was just a pseudonym for a letter typist. I had another quick look at the end of E02 and there was a mention about the origin of the term revolving around that novelist who became blind (and so the inventor gave her a typewriter to continue writing).

--

Episode 4: 6/10

violet-evergarden-e04.thumb.jpg.a9217720706b409e3180044e971166f6.jpg

Iris and Violet travel to another town (Iris's homevillage) in response to a request but Iris injures herself prior to their arrival so Violet is required to do the typing. Then it turns out Iris's client was a false name and it was actually her mother that requested her, in order to write a birthday invitation party for Iris. As usual Violet misinterprets the mood by being too blunt in trying to follow the client's contract (Iris's mother) vs. respecting Iris's feelings about her former childhood friend crush.

Whilst it was nice to break the pacing a bit by focusing on one of the other characters instead of Violet, I found Iris's family drama a bit too much. Good to see though that Iris got that off her chest and her learning more about Violet's feelings about the major can only be a good thing moving forward...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Finished the show last week, and I loved it. 

The story was told well, as we slowly started seeing more and more of the trauma that Violet had to endure. The way the story slowly revealed parts of the same scene through episodes gone past was effective in showing Violet's growth as a person, moving past the tool that she though she was.