Opinions on Clannad?

NotSoNora

So, what are you guy's opinions on Clannad? I think it was really good but really sad as well, the writers and animators for the anime are great at what they do, they make it just sad enough to the point where it's really entertaining. I think it's honestly one of the best anime out there.

• Agree 1

The first season of Clannad I thought was kind of boring tbh.  It is a somewhat odd HS hatsukoi story.  That's not really my thing and I actually dropped it about halfway through.  I only came back to it later, after I'd heard everyone talk about After Story.  So I started watching that.  I almost dropped After Story too, but it started to get more interesting in the second half.  I stuck with it and towards the end I found I'd gotten more invested in the characters and the story got pretty good.  There's also an episode that briefly takes you back to the beginning, so I thought I'd start the first season over with After Story in mind.  I wound up watching the whole thing, both seasons, start to finish all over again and came away with a much better impression of both seasons overall.

Taken in combination with After Story, the first season is pretty good.  It is silly and juvenile, but that's the way high school is.  In that context it's fine.  Without giving too much away, later Tomoya and Nagisa grow up and a lot of the silliness goes away.  It is actually pretty intense in places.  The ending was a bit too much "and then a miracle happens" for my realist sensibilities but it did bring together all the separate threads nicely, and like I said it did make me want to go watch the whole thing again.  Often the second season seems "extra", or somewhat separate from the first.  Sometimes it even seems like just a contrived and obvious attempt to cash in on the popularity of the first season.  I didn't get any of that with After Story.  It was definitely different in tone from the first season, but the transition was nearly seamless (After Story picks up exactly where Clannad leaves off) and the character progression from there is sensible and in character.  There's a bit of suspense in the threading - what's with the girl and the robot and the funny, glowing lights anyway? - but it all gets taken care of.  I think they did a really good job.

I really enjoyed both portions of Clannad when I saw it, but I think I enjoy the VN more.

The anime, which includes the first series and After Story, were great and I would rewatch them, but the VN does a lot better in being more impactful, like the feeling in the letter Kotomi gets and that it does a lot better of a job showing what a family truly is and why it is important. Plus, you have Akio’s own story line that sounds funny because it makes him look like the anime equivalent of Chuck Norris.

1 hour ago, Wodahs said:

@brycec where do you watch you VN's as if it's online I'd be interested to see this one , as I enjoyed Clannad an after story

what can I say.i enjoy sad/tradgic anime's like this

Usually, I use Steam to get VNs, as I can get them for multiple platforms. Clannad was not cheap, but well worth the purchase.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I did enjoy both Clannad and Clannad: After Story, but even to this day I still firmly believe that they are somewhat overrated as there are other just as good tearjerker romance/drama/tragedy animes out there 

• Like 1

Clannad is a very good anime, it's agreeable, it has its elements that make it a very interesting anime, and regarding its realistic nature, though also has some fictional thoughts placed in it, you can still manage to connect with the characters of the story making it an anime worth watching.

The first season was fine, it has the elements needed for a great anime, the SLICE OF LIFE genre which doesn't really exist to be exact but somehow I can feel it from within me, the feels just keep rushing in. Showing us how important youth is and should you spend those times with people close to you and create many more bonds, it also shows casual high school stuff but compared to other high school anime, it's very much relatable.

This is where things come in for the worst, for my eyes. When I began watching it, it was pretty funny and also those elements that were shown from the first season, but many things started to took the turn for the worst, for my eyes! Throughout the story, somebody (I don't know) started to slice onions, AND I DON'T KNOW WHY THEY DO THAT!

The second season shows events that happen after youth which is again (relatable).. Friends won't stay forever by your side, and things will come in ups or downs..

Overall: CLANNAD IS GREAT 9/10

896880.png

• Like 1

• Geano locked this topic