Supernatural romance anime?

Dersha

Question

Hi everyone,
lately I've been really enjoying the theme of yokai/demon/god/vampire/pretty much any supernatural being having romance with human girl (of modern age).
So far I've seen these: Kamisama Hajimemashita, Kamigami no Asobi, Noragami, Vampire Knight, Diabolic Lovers, Dance with the Devils, Blood Lad.

Is there any other anime with this specific theme that you could recommend to me? :) 

P.S.: Could be also something like Gugure Kokkuri-san, where the relationship is nothing of romantic but simpy watching yokai trying to live with that human girl was hilarious :D
P.P.S.: Please pardon any mistakes and typos, my English is quite good but still imperfect :D 

Thank you! 

17 answers to this question

@Dersha-san you can try Mirai Nikki. It's mostly psycho-ish but it has supernatural and romance mixed in it. You can also try Inu X Boku SS, Guilty Crown, Sword Art Online and The Irregular at Magic High School. If you're into the vampire genre, I'd recommend Tsukuyomi: Moon Phase, Dance in the Vampire Bund, Fortune Arterial, Blood+ and Trinity Blood. If you're into the yokai/god genre too I'd recommend Hotarubi no Mori e, Patema Inverted, Wolf Children and The Garden of Words.

Hmmm... Engaged to the Unidentified was good (sadly the romance was focused on less - I hope they continue the anime anyways). Dusk Maiden of Amnesia is a harem anime but one of the girls is a ghost. 

Then, there's Ah! My Goddess too ;)

A pretty bad one would be Okamikakushi. I rate it a 5-6 on a 10 point scale really in terms overall. It has more obsession and lust than outright romance.   And....the poor human is a guy haha. Felt kind of bad for him by the end of it all.

If you want to try a mobile phone/tablet game based off of those exact parameters you mentioned, I'd suggest Enchanted in the Moonlight. Be careful, the app is free but you pay per story (between 2-5 dollars depending on which one and if it's an epilogue or sequel story) so if you don't watch out it'll get pretty expensive fairly fast. My personal favorite storyline was Chikage's. Only didn't test out two of them. Really liked most of the stories. If you do try it out, I really recommend avoiding Kiryu's for your first time around. It's probably further from your parameters than anything else.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations!
However most of the titles mentioned above don't really fit that much, sadly. All the specifications I've listed are of the same importance to me. It might seem trivial whether the human is girl or boy, but even such a minor feature is essential to me :D Or if they are of modern age or of some fictional magic-based madieval-like realm - again, it's essential :D

Gomenne, I know I'm awfully picky...The thing is I'm usually not into romance at all - not in anime, not in movies, not in books, not in music, not in real life either :D But this very specific kind of storyline somehow enticed me so I'm looking for more examples. Anyway I surely am grateful for your efforts and I'm going to keep on searching.

Arigato gozaimasu! 

Engaged to the Unidentified seems  like it fits all your criteria.  The guy is the supernatural "creature" and the girl is human.  The whole supernatural thing is played down however.  The guy barely even speaks for the whole series, never mind does anything interesting.  Definitely not one of those action shows where the guy(s) transforms into superdude every show to save the heroine from this week's bad guy.   (Though he did come through in a pinch to save her life, even that event is background that  happened before the series even started.)

Another thought if you're after the "reverse-harem with a supernatural aspect" thing then you might try Hiiro no Kakera.  The heroine is human and though she has some inherited power that puts her nominally in charge she doesn't have a clue how to use it.  For the entire series she's basically in exactly the same situation as Nanami in Kamisama Hajimemashita while the guys use their powers to protect her.

On 10.2.2018 at 12:34 AM, Dersha said:

Hi everyone,
lately I've been really enjoying the theme of yokai/demon/god/vampire/pretty much any supernatural being having romance with human girl (of modern age).
So far I've seen these: Kamisama Hajimemashita, Kamigami no Asobi, Noragami, Vampire Knight, Diabolic Lovers, Dance with the Devils, Blood Lad.

Is there any other anime with this specific theme that you could recommend to me? :) 

P.S.: Could be also something like Gugure Kokkuri-san, where the relationship is nothing of romantic but simpy watching yokai trying to live with that human girl was hilarious :D
P.P.S.: Please pardon any mistakes and typos, my English is quite good but still imperfect :D 

Thank you! 

have you wacthed Inuyasha ? 

@efaardvark : Definitely gonna try this one, thank you :)

@yona hime : I think I've tried to watch an episode or two but I can't seem to enjoy the oldschool style of drawing and animation...But I might give it another try some day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dersha said:

@yona hime : I think I've tried to watch an episode or two but I can't seem to enjoy the oldschool style of drawing and animation...But I might give it another try some day.

yea thats was my first thoght when i saw it but after the first episode i really loved it,

another one that has Demons\Gods that i loved : 

shingeki no bahamut genesis 
shingeki no bahamut  virgin soul

season1 & 2 , season 2 is full with romance but u have to see season one which also have demon\human relations

16 hours ago, efaardvark said:

Engaged to the Unidentified seems  like it fits all your criteria.  The guy is the supernatural "creature" and the girl is human.  The whole supernatural thing is played down however.  The guy barely even speaks for the whole series, never mind does anything interesting.  Definitely not one of those action shows where the guy(s) transforms into superdude every show to save the heroine from this week's bad guy.   (Though he did come through in a pinch to save her life, even that event is background that  happened before the series even started.)

Another thought if you're after the "reverse-harem with a supernatural aspect" thing then you might try Hiiro no Kakera.  The heroine is human and though she has some inherited power that puts her nominally in charge she doesn't have a clue how to use it.  For the entire series she's basically in exactly the same situation as Nanami in Kamisama Hajimemashita while the guys use their powers to protect her.

Ah you see, I didn't bother saying Hiiro no Kakera (although I really like crows hehe ^_^  We need more crows in anime!) because they really grew up as "humans" who are taught from a young age that they will have to be guardians.  Figured it was not quite what was being looked for.  Still, I agree it is a GREAT reverse harem.  I absolutely loved it.  Will be raving about it for weeks no doubt.

Hakuoki is pretty good too but probably not what you're looking for (set in the past for example).  It can be pretty expensive to collect the entire series too so...

The Ancient Magus Bride is about a girl who can see supernatural creatures who is "bought" by a half-fae to be his apprentice and future bride

The female/male roles are reversed and it's more of a romcom but Karin (Chibi Vampire) is about a guy's relationship with a "reverse-vampire" (instead of needing to drink blood, her body produces too much blood and causes massive nosebleeds)

On 2/9/2018 at 5:34 PM, Dersha said:

If just interactions between humans & yokai is enough I highly recommend Gegege no Kitaro (got a new series in 2018) and even though I haven't seen it, I've heard good things about Natsume's Book of Friends.

Sankarea: Undying Love I guess can fall under supernatural more than horror, it was romantic but in a truly unique way. Its about a guy who is obssessed with horror movies, espsically zombie movies and the perfect girl for him is a zombie girl. While trying to resurrect his dead cat in abandoned building he befriends a girl who comes to the same building to scream into a well about her abusive father. Her father confronts their friendship and accidently throws her off the side of a mountain cliff killing her and the boy brings her back to life as a zombie and in the two fall in love in a dark, twisted romantic way lol. I really loved the series. 

Somehow nobody mentioned Tasogare Otome x Amnesia.

Great supernatural romance that goes to its manga ending.

Yes! That anime and manga was amazing! But that ending I cant do that twice...i didnt know what was gonna happen when I watched the anime first before reading the manga lol. The ova was ok but was only worth for the ending which really wrapped up things. 

On 9/19/2018 at 10:46 PM, Hatsune_Werewolf said:

Sankarea

I watched that one a few whiles back.  Pretty weird premise.  Worth a watch but.. very odd.

I did like Dusk Maiden.  The episode where Teiichi finds out how Yuuko became a ghost was pretty tough to watch tho.