Wedgy

Which anime changed your opinion on its genre?

A while back I'd have probably ignored just about any anime having to do with sports... but after watching Free! and falling in love with it, it's really opened up my mind to other animes in the same genre like Haikyuu and Ookiku Furikabutte. Turns out it is very refreshing to venture outside your usual interests. Never thought I'd like them, but here we are.

Kuroko No Basket. Before that I just stuck with action anime, but once i started reading t hat bad boy it opened up a whole new genre for me. Sports was something I never thought I would read, strange how it became my favorite genre with just one anime.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wedgy said:

A while back I'd have probably ignored just about any anime having to do with sports... but after watching Free! and falling in love with it, it's really opened up my mind to other animes in the same genre like Haikyuu and Ookiku Furikabutte. Turns out it is very refreshing to venture outside your usual interests. Never thought I'd like them, but here we are.

Try "All Out" really got me into the sports genre. As for the title that changed my opinion of the genre was "Clannad" (Yeah I know) about the romance genre. I'm still not huge into it, and the romance in the story has to be natural and not forced, but I tend to cue up more of them than I did before I watched "Clannad". 

• Like 1

I've got to say Code Geass. I've decided to explore anime other than romance because of it. Oh, and Assassination Classroom, Future Diary and Hell Girl too. And a lot others whose names I forgot.

I can honestly say nothing. lol See, I was watching things from Japan even though I didn't realize it from a young age thanks to Nickelodeon in the 80s and being FORCED to watch Voltron with my older cousin and whatever else he liked. For me, if it entertained me, I didn't care where the show originally came from, nor did I think about it, so I didn't have preconceived notions of "anime" prior to my gaining knowledge of it in the mid 90s. It was just another animated show to me. I noticed some differences though by the early 2000s, though...most of Japan's shows had an ongoing story and wasn't as episodic as our shows were.

Edited by ssjup81

I would have to say Blood C which is a horror anime really made me sorta get into the "horror" genera. I liked the action and sorta "creepy" vibes I got from it which drew me into the story more and some of the action, fight scenes, and drama from it made it really made it better as well. I don't like all gore type anime's but I don't mind trying some out if it looks interesting. The action, drama, and some horror elements that came from the anime really sparked my interest to learn more about it and entertained me. I grew up watching all kinds of movies and some anime when I gotten into it, but after Blood C it really sparked my interest a bit more in the "Horror" types anime's. Even though I shouldn't watch them due to my dreams I get but can't help I sorta like them, so I watch them sometimes, heh.

Probably Ah! My Goddess.  I had no interest in romance before that series. Most American romance stories tend to devolve into lust so seeing a romance that was pure really was big for me. Now I like the genre...as far as anime is concerned.  American romance stories I still avoid.

This may be the opposite of what most people expect from a post like this, but One Piece changed my opinion on Shounen's for the worst. The fact that it became so popular has lead to many trying to replicate it in their own way, but more than that, it was a clear sign that as long as something is making money in this day and age, it will get dragged on to the point of being anything else but annoying. One Piece is the slowest moving anime in Shounen history and should have ended years ago, but because it hasn't I've become reluctant to watch anything Shounen for the last several years for fear that it would do the same thing. Oddly, the only on and off again exception to that for me has been Fairy Tail, which just goes to show that the creators of One Piece can make something compelling and interesting, but they stopped doing that OP for some reason.

• Agree 1

K-On! This was years ago but when there was a time when i had no interest in slice of life anime. I thought it was slow and boring since there wasn't anything supernatural a lot of the time or action. However as I like music, after coming across it i thought i'd give it a try with the mindset that i would go back to watching other anime after one or two episodes. I didn't stop until i finished it. And it changed my view on slice of life. Its a genre that can be very relaxing to watch at times and can be quite fun too. Some of my favourite animes now are sort of slice of life including Natsume Yujin-cho, Mushishi and K-On! I highly recommend all three if you haven't seen them. All are very relaxing to watch and are at times a good laugh, but with Mushishi there may be some dark moments.