Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works

drill

[FLOAT_RIGHT]FSN1.thumb.jpg.453663b9c6b780e319abc461169dae65.jpg [/FLOAT_RIGHT]

Fuyuki City, a city surrounded by the ocean and the mountains becomes the setting for an age old ritual. To realize the mythical Holy Grail, which is said to grant any wish from its possessor, seven masters are given seven heroic spirits chosen by the Grail. These heroic spirits or servants are: Saber, Lancer, Archer, Rider, Caster, Assassin and Berserker. Each master will enter into a contract with their assigned servants and battle the other masters and servants to the death until only one pair remains…This is the Holy Grail War.

What does everyone think of this so far? I think that ufotable is doing an amazing job. My favorite character is easily Rin. I will say though, even though the animation is top notch, the character designs (namely the faces) seem a bit... unique.

• Like 1

It's epic! I've only watched ufotable's Fate/Zero prior to this and have never played any of the VNs so it's a very fresh experience for me.

I know I must be cliche but Saber is my favourite character. (o^.^o)

saber-fate-stay-night.thumb.jpg.9cc7d4f98ac589a5dcd950e06e80becc.jpg

Rin is pretty cool too but I hope she gives Shiro Emiya a break soon!

shiro-rin-fate-stay-night.thumb.jpg.3d2cbc7c92aed1d760e2bc30c13b0b54.jpg

Great action, very atmospheric music and the pacing of the story is done really well.

Looking forward to episode 04. That cliffhanger, agh! :o

• Like 1

It's epic! I've only watched ufotable's Fate/Zero prior to this and have never played any of the VNs so it's a very fresh experience for me.

I'm glad you like it too! :)

I know I must be cliche but Saber is my favourite character. (o^.^o)

[ATTACH=full]13538[/ATTACH]

Rin is pretty cool too but I hope she gives Shiro Emiya a break soon!

[ATTACH=full]13539[/ATTACH]

Great action, very aatmosphericmusic and the pacing of the story is done really well.

Looking forward to episode 04. That cliffhanger, agh! :o

Luckily for me, I watched the old fate/stay night, so its not a cliffhanger, i know what happens :D

While episode 5 didn't have much action, seeing Sakura's face was priceless :D It was a fairly good episode, and its finally deviating from the original series.

Considering that Caster is already mentioned, and Rin is tracking Caster down, I have a feeling Caster's battle won't be saved for the end like in the Fate route.

• Agree 1

It's clearly better than the movie version. I love Episode 0 and the series really hook me in to fate series (although I should watch Fate/Zero too).

Yes!!! Watch Fate/Zero! However, I suggest finishing this series first before you go back and watch it. As Fate/Zero spoils a few plot twists of Fate/Stay Night.

Last episode was a little slow, interesting seeing Saber mingling with the new guests at home. :D

fate-stay-night-ubw-rin.thumb.jpg.b729b863d440552e91846a33ea0d3529.jpg

Rin seems more and more intriguing the more I see her. At this point though I find it difficult to imagine her truly dealing with Emiya as an enemy though in future, even if she did declare that from the start during their first meeting.

One thing I like that I noticed has carried over from Fate/Zero is how atmospheric the low light and night scenes are. ^_^

Ugh... this episode was scary (even though I knew what would happen), especially since the scene with Rider was in a quality 100x that of the older series. Even so, it was very well done. My favorite part was were Emiya blocked all of Rin's attacks with his magic.

• Agree 1

I like it; but it is not as good as Fate Zero. I don't like tsunderes at all; so Rin feels like nothing too me, no depth IMO. And I also don't like Shirou; simply because we don't know why he wants to be a hero so much? Like it kind of makes no sense at all, this needs to be explained. The actions scenes are really, quite amazing. No other word can describe it. However, I will admit that the majority of the first two episodes(prologues) were boring. Seeing Daily Life with no comedy or anything "interesting" at all, isn't a pleasure to watch.

I like it; but it is not as good as Fate Zero. I don't like tsunderes at all; so Rin feels like nothing too me, no depth IMO. And I also don't like Shirou; simply because we don't know why he wants to be a hero so much? Like it kind of makes no sense at all, this needs to be explained. The actions scenes are really, quite amazing. No other word can describe it. However, I will admit that the majority of the first two episodes(prologues) were boring. Seeing Daily Life with no comedy or anything "interesting" at all, isn't a pleasure to watch.

Considering that it seems you haven't watched the original Fate/Stay Night, I'm not really surprised by your thoughts on the series so far.

Shirou's hero thing comes from his father, Kiritsugu, but I thought this part was already explained in the new series? Since I'm pretty sure this is the case, I'm also fairly certain that they will not delve deeper into Shirou wanting to be a hero of justice, but rather him just continue doing stupid stuff :P Of course, since this is the UBW arc, and not the Fate route, I'm just as clueless on the progression of Shirou as everyone else.

EDIT: Just finished watching today's episode, and wow, they are going really fast through this.

I was really surprised to see Caster and Assassin's turn to be the next ones that were fought. I doubt they will die there though, but just make an entrance like Berserker did.

• 2 weeks later...
Episode 8

Completely different from the original series, but makes far more since. I was shocked to see that Rider was already dead.

Indeed, after her first encounter with Emiya I was expecting a second encounter.

I really liked this episode, Emiya being competent was great, and Saber being summoned was awesome. Rin's expression = priceless.

Then again any episode where Saber engages in combat I like. ^_^

fate-stay-night-ubw-ep-08.thumb.jpg.92fe55371a15d23479ae5111a279a609.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

[spoiler=Episode 10]I was really surprised that Emiya mastered projection magic so early on in Rin's path. Now he actually puts up a fight. Also, the Matou kid has just gone crazy at this point (almost as bad as the Caster pair in Fate/Zero), and Gilgamesh seems a bit different in comparison to the end of Fate/Zero. Perhaps its because the change of masters? Not entirely certain.

So I'm kind of curious, are there any hints of a possible romance between Emiya and Rin later in the series or is that just wishful thinking at this point? :?

Yes, very much so. This is the UBW path after all, so Rin is the main heroine.

• Winner 1

[spoiler=Episode 12 (S1 Finale)]

Seeing Saber get captured by Caster like that is quite possibly the most tense anime scene I've seen in my entire lifetime. I realise previous viewers probably saw that coming but as a first-timer to Fate/stay night, it was gut-wrenching.

I love how ufotable is doing that longer episode format for the start and ending episodes, it definitely gives them more creative breathing room and pacing. (o^.^o)

The ending scene where Rin essentially leaves Emiya affter losing Saber and his command seals was epic. Such cinematic music. They were absolutely not kidding when they said this was quite possibly one of the most expensive anime titles ever produced.

I have nothing more to add other than the preview for the next season that continues airing in April looks absolutely amazing. :largegasp:

[spoiler=Episode 12]

Seeing Saber get captured by Caster like that is quite possibly the most tense anime scene I've seen in my entire lifetime. I realise previous viewers probably saw that coming but as a first-timer to Fate/stay night, it was gut-wrenching.

Actually, Optic, that didn't happen in the original Fate/Stay night, so I was just as surprised as you were.

Although Caster has both Saber and Assassin, I still say that everyone still has a clear shot at the grail, I meant you have Berserker who can heal itself along with Illyasviel who is even a better mage than Rin is. Then you have Matou who has Gilgamesh, and after all, Gilgamesh is on a tier of this own. The most surprising thing was seeing Kirei getting beaten in a fight.

• Agree 1

• 1 year later...

I'm currently watching and making my way slowly but surely through this super duper awesome AMAZEBALLS of a series on Netflix lately :) It is so much cooler and better than the original Fate/Stay Night series from 2006 with Fate/Zero as my second favourite series :) The animation style is just superb and simply breathtaking, it's a real visual feast for the eyes :)

Edited by Guest

I've watched this anime last weekend, both seasons ;)

One of the best animes so far, couldn't say anything bad about the storyline and i really enjoyed watching this ^^.

The main character was boring at the beginning of the anime...and the whole "i will save everyone" was a bit exaggerated in my opinion.

Archer was my favorite character in this anime xD

Edited by Guest

Need to get round to watching this at somepoint, along with Fate/Zero and Fate/Kaleid!

Seen the original series, the UBW movie, just recently seen the Saber route OVA (Fate/Stay Night Television Reproduction OVA) which, compresses twenty four episodes into two hours, I've also seen Carnival Phantasm which, is a parody series -if you like Lancer deaths, what that series ;), there's one (at least) every episode-, and Tsukihime Lunar Legend which, takes place in the same universe!

The first episode of the OVA started very faithful, it was crazy -it's just a shame it wasn't over-the-top-crazy faithful, with the second episode featured a remix of Kirameku Namida wa Hoshi ni, rather than both episodes featuring a remix to Disillusion-, it was like watching the series, but in 16:9 not 4:3, although then the OVA started missing out bit of "cool" dialogue as it moved closer to the next episode!

Sakura is my favourite character; I just want to save her from the injustice in the world, "I have arrived, New Hero Spirit, Class - Saver" ;)! Saver's even a class now, as of Fate/Grand Order!

I'm currently playing through Fate/Extra CCC which, is kinda like a send up for Sakura, given that a number of character look like her: BB, Passionlip, Meltlilith, Kingprotea (manga only), Kazuradrop (manga only) and Violet (manga only)! I've also found out that a third game is on the way (with Mamiko Noto voicing a servant, although to cheat on Caster with Mamiko Noto...?), and that XSEED may be bringing this one to the west, even though they didn't bring CCC to the west, so gotta hurry up and finish CCC!

I'm also looking forward to Heaven's Feel next year, that's the Sakura route! I didn't think they were going to adapt it, because I hear it's the most hentai of routes!

• Geano locked this topic