Depressed when seeing a beautiful character dies or lose her beauty

FriendlyP

Hey guys, this is my first post. As the title states, i always have this problem: whenever I see a beautiful female character die or lose her beauty in an anime/manga, i get depressed. Therefore, i want to know if anyone has experienced this and if so, how did you overcome it.

idk why but hurts to see it, I keep telling myself, "its not real, its just an anime/manga" or "she is human, she will get old and lose her beauty eventually" , but its not working for me. Having this problem made me unable to continue an anime series, to name a few; overlord, blood C and Sekirei. This does not apply to only female leads/MCs but also side characters.

I hate to admit that i feel like a white knight but i dont think that can apply to me since im a girl? (maybe it does now that i think about it) I am an open lesbian, so this maybe one of the reasons why i cannot stand it. 

Anyways i just want to express my feelings and to know if anyone has any tips on overcoming this problem because i do not want to keep dropping animes/mangas due to this...

Edit: On a side note, when i see an ugly female character die, i literally do not care for some reason lol

Thanks, FriendlyP.

Edited by FriendlyP
  • Agree 1

This sort of happens with me, I may not get depressed on as large a scale as you but it does bother me for a long time. I guess I get over it over time, it just fades and I don't feel as sad or angry about it anymore, to be honest though I don't really get over it that well; It may be because I am possessive and used to seeing things stay the same (?) for example If I obtain something in a video-game like a skin or something and then I lose it it will bother me forever pretty much. I think the same goes for shows like this, I see a character I like and if they get ruined I obviously still love them but since they look different it is just not the same, I feel a sense of loss and it really ticks me off. I don't know why I am like this either and I am sorry my reply may well have been useless but I would just suggest taking your time and growing to love the new version of the characters look as much as the old.

• Friendly 1

Thank you :), yes i do believe we humans get too attached to characters which subsequently make us more vulnerable to feeling sad when something bad happens to them. For instance, animes like Akame Ga Kill and Juuni Taisen, even though their character development werent that in depth, I still get attached to them after knowing what they have experienced (I had to keep pausing every time a character i like dies...sad T_T). Hehe true, fanworks/fanart do help me feel better but knowing that it isn't official still makes me a bit depressed...

First off, welcome to the forums! 

As for me, I don't really have this issue. I see it all as character development and the story is what is most important to me. While a few characters I have grown attached to have died, and while I was upset by it (you'd have to be emotionally dead to really feel nothing) I still continued to watch without problems and without it having a lasting effect on my mood. It really only bugs me when they have a meaningless death. Still, though I may get sad, I always remember Journey before Destination. 

I actually used to get depressed when I was close to finishing a video game. The credits roll down the screen, the hero leaves to do who knows what, and the journey is over, the screen goes black. But to me, it's about the journey, the experience, the story. That's why I keep going. Sure, I'll reach the end, but I'll experience so much getting there.

I did laugh though when you said you feel nothing when an ugly character dies...LOL....that was really harsh, but you are being honest with yourself :) what exactly makes them ugly to you? What makes one beautiful? 

• Friendly 1

Thank you for the warm welcome :). A beautiful character in my perspective, is the physical look of the character (personality comes second lol), even if she is an antagonist I'll still like her because of her looks. Idk why but as soon as I see a beautiful female character, my instincts says, "I hope nothing happens to her". Sorry about being harsh on 'ugly' characters, i see them as 'they let themselves go' if you know what I mean lol. Instinctively, I don't feel anything when something happens to them, that's why I thought that 'I don't care' about them.

I can see why the straight female audience would cry over a handsome guy dying, it is the same for me with female characters but i dont cry, only get depressed. If the 'beautiful character' did do something really (and I mean really really) horrible, then that would be an exception and I could say that they deserved it (to die).

Edited by FriendlyP

• 2 months later...

You have to try to stop caring about looks so much. What matters is not what is on the outside of the person, but what's on the inside. 

I hate how society has had this idea put on us so heavily probably by stupid marketing companies selling their worthless shampoo bottles or makeup kits. 

This whole idea that "Looks is the most important thing in the world" is more a idea from businesses propaganda, and anybody trying to get you to care about stuff that really doesnt matter in the end.