What did you think of the live action Full Metal Alchemist movie?

King_Sama

i haven't had the chance to watch it since my schedule is so hectic, but I really want to hear other anime fans opinion on it. After Death Note crashed and burned for me I'm a little skeptical on Netflix anime live action makes. FMA is one of the best animes to be created, so tell me. Did the live action do the anime justice at all?

It's interesting to say the least, animation was well done, alot of the beginning is sped up, so if you're that kind of person that's like "WAIT A MINUTE THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN IN THE ANIME" well there's alot that is skipped. It was still good in my opinion, solid 7/10. Story was very riveting and it was miles better than that travesty of a live action in Death Note.

5 hours ago, Shooting Palanx said:

It's interesting to say the least, animation was well done, alot of the beginning is sped up, so if you're that kind of person that's like "WAIT A MINUTE THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN IN THE ANIME" well there's alot that is skipped. It was still good in my opinion, solid 7/10. Story was very riveting and it was miles better than that travesty of a live action in Death Note.

Watching teletubbies is better than Death Note. Thanks though, good to hear that it didn't let the anime down. I'm really looking forward to this.

19 hours ago, Wedgy said:

... This is really the first I've heard of it. I'll give you my word I'll give it a watch when I get time in between work and let you know my thoughts when I do. I'm a bit leery however just looking at the casting right now, but I'll try to be fair and reserve my opinion until I've seen it. I'm a firm believer of 'don't knock it til you try it.' 

And, not to swing the conversation, but I said the same thing about the Death Note film and it turned out I was not a fan of it at all, although maybe not for the same reason everyone else seemed to be. "White-washing" or "Americanising" the cast/characters was easily the least of that film's shortcomings. I had a huge problem with them changing around the nature of the plot and watering down what was a beautiful canvas of colours and grey areas and painting over it in matte black and white. That they basically made Misa (or was it Mia here?) the film's antagonist was probably my biggest woe of them all. They completely missed the point. Everything I loved about Death Note was Light's descent into madness, how he starts as this "means to an end" sort of anti-hero and gets twisted into a villain who kills for the sake of preserving his God complex. Netflix wiped their bottoms all over that and didn't even flush.

So I suppose what I'll be looking for when I get around to it is how true they can stay to not only the actual plot, but the hows and whys of FMA and the encompassing themes going on under the surface. If they can get this right, I can forgive cheesy acting- which I'll be bracing myself for because this really does look like it's going to be cosplay with amateur acting. 

That's what Hollywood does. They take an idea make it into their own image, which is basically a cheap knockoff the original, make it for the people that have no idea that it's an anime, and generate a vast amount of money. Not caring about what made the story so good just seeing the dollar signs at the end of the rainbow. 

That's more annoying then anything. That we have no say in how we want our favorite shows to be portrayed, we just have to deal with whatever we get. Which sucks beyond imagining.   

• Like 1

The movie has the same problems as Brotherhood does at it's start, except it's twice as bad. They speed through everything so quickly that it's hard to grasp onto anything. Putting the entire story into one film was the stupidest idea that could have ever been conceived. It should have been a tetralogy, 4 films, each covering in detail, a quarter of the events. It would have probably been at least 8 hours of film to make, so perhaps that was seen as too risky, but this is FMA we're talking about. You need to respect the material in it, and the film failed to do that on every level. Also, I can't get over how bad the CGI for Al and Nina were, that just hurt an already poor film to the point where it was beyond repair. 

Edited by RepentantSky
  • Like 1

Agreed. I also think the acting could have been better. Some of them were good but quite a few weren't so good. One of the characters i thought had good acting was Major Hughes. The film had so much potential. Sadly didn't achieve it. Before watching it i thought it would be decent at least since Warner Bros did 3 Rurouni Kenshin movies all of which i thought were pretty good. I was let down sadly.

On 2/21/2018 at 11:54 AM, King_Sama said:

i haven't had the chance to watch it since my schedule is so hectic, but I really want to hear other anime fans opinion on it. After Death Note crashed and burned for me I'm a little skeptical on Netflix anime live action makes. FMA is one of the best animes to be created, so tell me. Did the live action do the anime justice at all?

probably bad anime and video games doesn't really translate to live action films well most are bad so id assume its bad or its the 1 out 10 live action movies that actually do the franchise justice!!

• 3 weeks later...

I found that this movie was tedious and completely unnecessary since the entire film had no real point or meaning to it. The villains all seemed to be unsure of what their own plans were and it eventually just reverted to a nonsense fight at the end that wasn't even entertaining. 
The acting was bellow average, the story wasn't well developed or put together in a way that made sense or kept you entertained, the characters were all sub-par and never did anything to make you actually care about anything that happened to them, plus, all the great things about each character from the anime were just completely ignored and left out of the movie, making it bland, boring and a complete waste of time that doesn't even give you the enjoyment of teasing it because it's just a terrible production all the way through and you feel like you just wasted two hours ... which, yeah, you will have if you watch this film. (And that might sound like an over exaggeration of how bad it was, but trust me, there's nothing enjoyable about this film.) 

I too was very skeptical of this movie since it was being released on Netflix and of course as you said, Death Note. With that being said I enjoyed the movie. It as well done, the special effects were awesome with the CGI blending with the Live Action fairly well. The acting was horrible and of course, it wasn't white washed or westernized to fit the audience (Though it could have been more so than Death Note due to its regional settings and overtones). If I had to rate it I would say it was a solid 8 out of 10 with deductions coming from the compressed story line as it tried to embody too many points from the Anime. Outside of that I would highly recommend this title to anybody (even though who haven't seen or know of the anime/manga). 

Cheers! 

It sucked, lame villain (Shou Tucker) horrible storyline and the worst fight scenes you will ever see. The line were horrible as well, for example: Roy to Envy: "How many more times do I have to burn you till you just die?" He burned Envy literally one time and said this, so stupid.

The storyline and creation of the immortal army was horrific, the anime specifically said they could not be killed by being shot in the head and that their weak spot was their legs. The movie has this so called "Immortal" army attack and like 30 Military dudes shoot them in the head and its all over. The remaining immortal army are eaten after Gluttony was given the go-ahead by Lust, why even make them if you just wanted to eat them!?

Edward found Shou Tucker who had captured Winry, he defeated Tucker (Or was it someone off-screen shot him? Yes, yes it was. -_-) then he saves Al and find Winry was hidig in his body the whole time because Al wanted her to be safe. The massive problem with this is that Shou Tucker just last scene had her handcuffed on a couch and was pointing a gun at her head, he used her to get Ed to rip his auto-mail arm off. Then after that everyone just acts like Winry was safe this whole time inside of Al!? It was one of the worst movies I have ever seen.

• Geano locked this topic