seemore_bhutts

Recommend me a Japanese dish to make!

I've been trying to get better at cooking lately and I need dishes to practice with. I'd love to learn how to make some Japanese dishes, so please give me recommendations!

3 minutes ago, seemore_bhutts said:

I've been trying to get better at cooking lately and I need dishes to practice with. I'd love to learn how to make some Japanese dishes, so please give me recommendations!

Maybe Tonkatsu?

PS: I've no idea what it is, I just googled traditional fooooods.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Roxeg said:

Maybe Tonkatsu?

PS: I've no idea what it is, I just googled traditional fooooods.

This is doable, thank you! 

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

How about some real ramen, Sapporo-style?

• Agree 2

If you want really good ideas with given instructions, you should go to your nearest bookstore and buy a Japanese recipe book. I have this really thick Japanese recipe book which even has a list of the things I will need for the recipes. Looking online for traditional recipes could be a tedious task, at least for me it is. So I would just go and buy recipe or cooking books written by a Japanese person. But as for me, I'll have to do my research before I buy it though to make sure the author or chef is well-known in Japan or just from Japan, and that her/his dishes are in fact traditional.

but if you don't want to get a recipe book, then I would say make ramen. I know it sounds basic but it's really tasty (*´ڡ`●)

• Like 1

Sukiyaki or any nabe dish, as they're easy to prepare.

@seemore_bhutts I've been experimenting with my own Japanese-style dishes recently and here's one I think you might like, it's quite simple to put together, you only need a stovetop, and it's verr satisfying! I can't say if it's an actual Japanese recipe, but it's definitely inspired.  I just kind of made it up. 

I'm by no means a proper recipe-writer, so here's just some basic "wingin it" instructions from yours truly. 

You'll need:
Udon noodles
Boneless beef chuck strips
Beef stock or beef broth
Scallions (chopped; if you're lazy like me you can probably just use a pair of scissors to accomplish this)
One egg

Note portion sizes should be determined of your own discretion, I normally don't need to use a whole lot of everything here because at home I'm generally cooking for 1-3 people. Also because I don't want to bother with exact nutritional increments because I deal with that ish all day at work and ree. Just use your best judgement. I think udon noodles generally come packaged already portioned out, which is quite handy. 

Friendly reminder as well: Always wash your hands before and in between handling food, especially raw meat. (´ω`*) 

Anyway, start by boiling two pots of water. One is for the noodles, and the other is for your egg. Eggs kind of take their sweet time to boil, so if you want to be time efficient I would start that first. While your water is boiling, get you a cutting board and slap that beef chuck on it. You want to slice the beef thin, about 1/4" thick into small, bite-sized and manageable bits. Throw those all in a pan and turn up the heat medium-high. Don't overcook them- you want them about medium rare. Once they start turning a little brown, you want to add the beef stock (you are not making a soup so don't go overboard,) and chopped scallions and simmer it. This will also help keep it nice and tender. When your water boils, turn the heat down a bit and add the noodles. Let em boil, one again don't overcook them. When you think they're done, it's a good idea to stir and pull one out, rinse it in cold water and taste it to be certain it isn't still chewy.
As for the egg, run that under cold water as well and gently tap the bottom until it forms a flat crack so you can peel it. Chop that baby in half lengthwise. Now just drain the noodles, add the meat (with the beef stock and scallions,) and mix it in with the noodles. Throw it all in a bowl and serve the egg on top. :) Then... how do you say- itadakimasu? You could probably also add a little soy or hot sauce for extra flavour. I wouldn't recommend adding any extra salt, since udon noodles typically are a bit salty already.

If you try it, let me know. :)

Edited by Wedgy

I'm late and somehow missed this. One dish I enjoy making is sukiyaki. It's a hotpot dish.