Life lessons in games

(And vice-versa!)

I'll wager a lot of us have been gamers for a fair number of years, yes? Have there been any life lessons learned from playing the games you play? Or, even inversely, have you been able to apply certain lessons to the games you play? There's widely agreed sentiment claiming that sports stand to teach players many things such as teamwork, discipline, and even teach you some proper fitness. They are far from wrong, but I think video games can teach you some things, too!

I can say with utmost certainty that League of Legends has taught me patience, and helped me understand what an impact attitude can have in a team setting. The same can probably be said for any MOBA game. You can be the most skilled player in your region, and still lose games if you forsake the rest of your team. You can't just go off on your own and win single-handedly; your team must be able to keep up together or you will lose when it comes to the late game team fights. That is why the strongest/most skilled on the team needs to be able to help the other four out rather than simply focusing on themselves. They need to be aware of the big picture, because ultimately, objectives are what will win the game, not the K/D/A. I've seen even the most hopeless of games turn around not because the players "got gud," but because they didn't give up. 

Likewise, the game has taught me patience. Sometimes, I see my team make mistakes. Realllllly stupid, shouldn't-have-even-happened mistakes, and MOBA games are known for being very punishing. Unfortunately, the result is often that person getting berated and flamed by their teammates. And we aren't talking constructive criticism, these are outright insults offering no solutions. Having been on the receiving end, I have chosen to never to talk down to someone for a mistake no matter how upset it makes me feel. I understand the game has a steep learning curve. I've learned how to build a bridge, get over the problem, adapt, and find a new solution if the mistake has affected the previous one. That is the only way to win- surely that is the common goal between the five of us. Kicking somebody when they are already down is only hurting yourself in the long run.

As somebody in a leadership position IRL, practicing these skills in-game have helped me tremendously at my job. When my superiors talk to me about making a mistake, I try not to take it personally, and take the time to calm down and reflect on where I went wrong and how to proceed in the right direction. The common goal between us is to get the job done, and to do right by our patients and mission. It helped me realise that even if I am more experienced than my coworkers, I still need to make sure that they understand the importance of their jobs and ensure that they succeed in them. If any one of them are doing poorly, it reflects badly on the lot of us. 

That all said, this has basically become my daily mantra:

teamwork.png

Of course games teach lessons, and one I really admire is one taught by the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games. It has taught me optimism, caution, leadership and how to inspire others, and most importantly, the value of a legitimate friendship.

Edited by Roxeg
  • Like 1

I don’t know if it counts as a life lesson, but things like the Sims 4 (I’ve also played 2 and 3 growing up) have taught me some modicum of patience. And they also really help me with being more in touch with my creative side, as well as being more willing to try different things in life

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
On 3/11/2018 at 5:41 AM, Roxeg said:

Of course games teach lessons, and one I really admire is one taught by the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games. It has taught me optimism, caution, leadership and how to inspire others, and most importantly, the value of a legitimate friendship.

Those are all valuable qualities to have. I think especially leadership; some people are just naturals at it, some have to learn it, and some never do. Yet without a leader in any given group, the structure falls apart and there's no aim and it's chaotic and tends to fall apart easily. 

On 3/11/2018 at 3:15 PM, Kohloo said:

I don’t know if it counts as a life lesson, but things like the Sims 4 (I’ve also played 2 and 3 growing up) have taught me some modicum of patience. And they also really help me with being more in touch with my creative side, as well as being more willing to try different things in life

I could use something like that. My creativity can be lacking at times. I used to be so in touch with it, but then I got older and it seems to have wandered off. Maybe I should give the Sims a try. 

• Agree 1