What Made You Buy A Manga?

VPKairi

As the title suggests, what made you purchase a manga? Did you flip through pages in the book store and found one page interesting? Was it a recommendation? Or was it simply the art style? Whatever the reason, I'd like to know what your reason was for buying one. :3 

Personally, I enjoy story and art style. I see the name, then the front cover, and start flipping through pages. I tend to read a few comment bubbles to get an idea of how the story flows, then I look at the back of the manga to find out what it's about. If it interests me enough, I'll buy it. Otherwise, it gets left on the shelf. 

Edited by VPKairi
  • Like 3

Most of the time I'll only pick up manga if I really liked the anime adaptation, though sometimes I break that rule if a story only has one or two volumes, Solanin would be a good example of that. I'm also a sucker for hardcover releases and box sets.   

I normally pick manga that I'm already quite fond of if I want hard copies. A lot of the time I do prefer the manga adaptations more so I've got all of the available Owari no Seraph, and most of Deadman Wonderland (I've got others...but those are the largest single series collections I have)

18 hours ago, Wedgy said:

Of all the manga I've ever come into possession of, they were more often than not recommendations, or because I thought that the plot was intriguing. Of course what first catches my eye is the title and cover, but I've always been somebody who is skeptical and will flip it over and see what it's about. If I like it, I might hang on to it and browse others next, kind of sit on the idea a bit. If I still think I want it after a while, I'll probably take it home.

I haven't done this in years. ;_;

You should head over to a bookstore and bring back those old times again. Who knows, you might find something really interesting. Plus, bookstores are always so colorful and immediately bring that "place filled with knowledge" feeling when you step inside. Or maybe that's just me. xD

14 hours ago, Frith said:

Most of the time I'll only pick up manga if I really liked the anime adaptation, though sometimes I break that rule if a story only has one or two volumes, Solanin would be a good example of that. I'm also a sucker for hardcover releases and box sets.   

I was always the type that read the manga before the anime and became disappointed when I finally did watch the anime, either by animation style or by the voice acting, mostly the voice acting. Vampire Knight was a good example of that. The artwork in the manga is gorgeous, and the story flowed well. Then there was the anime that put comedy in serious parts, along with a bad Japanese cast and bad English cast. I couldn't get past episodes without a bit of cringe. Reading the manga first usually soils an anime for me to some degree because my imagination takes over on how the characters look/sound. Recently, I've watched Noragami and Tokyo Ghoul without touching the manga, and I enjoyed both. Eventually I take a look at the manga and probably say "omg the manga is better." xD

I've seen box sets for manga, but I've actually never owned one. I usually already have the volumes in the set and don't feel the need to collect copies. Since you collect hardcovers and box sets, your collection must look really nice! 

9 hours ago, Alina Corde said:

I normally pick manga that I'm already quite fond of if I want hard copies. A lot of the time I do prefer the manga adaptations more so I've got all of the available Owari no Seraph, and most of Deadman Wonderland (I've got others...but those are the largest single series collections I have)

I've watched Owari no Seraph, but I've never picked up a manga for it. I now wonder why I haven't done that. Lol

What makes you buy large series of manga? Would you stop buying it if the story became dull or would you keep buying it because you already committed? 

• Agree 1

I’ll only buy the volumes of a manga series that I know I’ll instinctively, immediately  and definitely enjoy from the word go, more than likely because I’m already completely, utterly and totally enjoying watching it’s anime version!

Simple as that!

Edited by C_C_S

13 hours ago, VPKairi said:

I've watched Owari no Seraph, but I've never picked up a manga for it. I now wonder why I haven't done that. Lol

What makes you buy large series of manga? Would you stop buying it if the story became dull or would you keep buying it because you already committed? 

I often end up falling in love with series' as they develop their world further throughout the books. I do actually enjoy the manga of Owari no Seraph slightly more than the anime but I'm also really looking into reading the Light Novels about Guren's past.

To be completely honest, now that you've asked that it really does feel as though most of the manga I've bought are ones that I know I enjoy. My wifi is always dying on me so I like finding inspiration from them when I'm drawing too. I've got some others like FMA, Drrr, Black Bird and some short shoujos that I like :) but if I have some of a larger series, I like having the complete set. I do that with regular books too haha. So I'm finishing off my Deadman Wonderland collection today. Going to Forbidden Planet to grab the last copies

• Like 1

@VPKairi

I have only bought one manga comic in fact, the other two I have were given as presents.

What catches my attention in manga when I'm at a bookstore is the art, like Kairi said, and if I've heard of it it makes me want to have it even more, but I've been unlucky enough to not bring much money the few times I've been to a bookstore recently, and knowing I have to wait for summer or winter to go to one (where I can purchase them in Spanish), it's often a bummer that I couldn't get to buy more to discover new series.

Okay, so the first manga I ever bought I was at a bookstore and happened upon the section containing these fine literary gems. Now I'm not a free reader and at the time never had purchased one. I generally watched the anime rather than read the source material. Anyway, as we perused the titles I saw one that looked rather interesting, hadn't seen the anime so I grabbed it and out the door I went. As it turns out the first manga I purchased was a little gem called "Berserk" and ended up being awesome and totally epic (Except the rape scene, that was a little disturbing to me) and caused me to follow it up with the anime. To this day I still go back and reread it every once in a while as it sits in my library proudly and diligently.  

• 1 month later...

Why I buy manga and got into it was a bit after I discovered anime. I thought it was interesting that it can be about the anime series or movie or have it's own story or series to without making a anime before or after it. Unless.. I'm mistaken which I apologize for. (-.-);; I really loved all the artists and authors style of the stories that they made and enjoy the artwork very much, plus the story itself. I had some manga over the years but had to give some away due to moving sometimes or just felt like donating to a public library so other people could enjoy them. Since anime related things are not very common here where I reside in but used to be.  

We used to have a store where I reside in that sold manga and other anime related items and such, but sadly they closed down a while ago. So.. now I have to get my Manga online if I want any. I use Amazon to purchase any I find interesting, but not really sure of any other website right now out there that sells Manga's. I want to get back into the Manga scene for a while then slowly ease back into watching anime once more. Since I've been having a hard time watching anime's lately. It's not because I don't like it I just want to read more since I love reading. (─‿‿─) 

Edited by Athena

I bought the last two volumes of a manga I was reading online, because the translation team didn't translate it anymore since the official translation in english was released. So I bought them on iBooks, digital copies.

Oh  man this question just hit me with a wave nostalgia. 

The first manga series I ever bought was Dragonaball, don't remember the issue it was but it basically covered from when when future Trunks defeated Frieza, I was probably 10 years old.

At the time manga in the school was very limited, and we only had dragonball,  everyone  had to be on a borrowing list. I remember the teacher had to scribble out any panel that showed Kid Goku's penis lol. I was very shy, timid kid and always hated asking my mom for stuff so one Christmas eve I took the bus by myself to the local mall and with all the money money I saved up I bought that one manga. It was an awesome experience! After that I never really had the need to buy manga since I discovered I could see it online for free. 

One day I really want to buy all of the Berserk series, Air Gear, Blade of the Immortal, Naruto, Dragonball and Gintama just because I loved all those series so much. Nothing beats reading manga/books in paper format in my opinion.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kohloo said:

I’ve never purchased a manga or comic before. Any of the ones I read were at the library

Kohloo, if you suddenly became a thousandaire which manga would you buy out of the ones you've read in the library?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nisa-Nisa said:

Kohloo, if you suddenly became a thousandaire which manga would you buy out of the ones you've read in the library?

Not a manga, actually. I’d first buy the Sandman comics haha

As for manga though, hmm. Probably Fruits Basket because that’s the first manga I ever got to read!

• Like 1

Strangely enough I didn't buy my first manga, I stole it. Lol

It was Case Closed and at the time it was 14 bucks, I wasn't paying that. So me and my friends quietly put some books in our bags and walked out the store....... Don't judge me and my love for Manga. I buy them now. :)

• 1 year later...

I really don't read a ton of manga to be honest, but the first mangas I did read were from the library and I did enjoy them. The reason I bought the ones I do have was just due to wanting to collect things related to that serious. I love collecting books and I'm a huge book hoarder lol. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I always wanted to like comics, but in the 90s, aside from X-Men, nothing really appealed to me (and Mom's comics were too "adult" for me--she liked Spawn and Morbius.) So...when I got into the Sailor Moon anime and realized there was a book of it, I totally snatched that up XD

These days I usually check out reviews, look at the art, and read a little bit to see if I'm going to like it.

I *also* almost always will check books out at the library first, especially the more expensive ones. If I think I want to re-read it, use it for reference (I do a web comic,) or just love the art and want it on my shelf, then I'll get it :3

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I'm first and foremost captivated by the art work. I have a lot of Kaori Yuki's manga because I loved the style, especially the clothing and hair detail. 

I am also drawn to cute work like clamp. I'm horrible though because I usually will buy for art and sometimes take years to actually read the stories. They are more art books to me. 

That being said, I'm pretty frugal, and so if I do find a series I like, I generally will look around at used book stores or find sales to purchase. I'm a big reader and love hard copy novels and will generally use rewards to buy more. Oddly enough, I'm more pulled towards story when it comes to western comics (like the sandman series and Fables series) But, again, I like the art style still. 

Webcomics I'm pulled in by the story.

That being said, when I receive mangas as gifts and I like the story, I will seek out copies if I find it at a decent price. 

• Like 1

On 3/9/2018 at 5:26 PM, Wedgy said:

Of all the manga I've ever come into possession of, they were more often than not recommendations, or because I thought that the plot was intriguing. Of course what first catches my eye is the title and cover, but I've always been somebody who is skeptical and will flip it over and see what it's about. If I like it, I might hang on to it and browse others next, kind of sit on the idea a bit. If I still think I want it after a while, I'll probably take it home.

I haven't done this in years. ;_;

I can attest to recommendations, since Amazon has been doing it for me near-singlehandedly. In addition, I am seeking for manga series that do not induce arc fatigue.

• 2 weeks later...

After watching some Naruto as a young kid and seeing that there were books of it when I grew up, I decided to buy a random volume to see what this manga stuff was all about. I really enjoyed reading it. From then on I have bought a ton more of manga 😃.