What Made You Buy A Manga?

VPKairi

The art style is probably the biggest factor for me.  If the cover catches my eye, I’ll flip through the book itself & if I like what I see,  I’ll read the first chapter or so to see if it seems like something I’d enjoy.

• 3 weeks later...

I watched anime as young kid but my school library never had any manga my high school did though and after i left high school i started to be able finding manga and after a while reading the original stuff i found it to be interesting having both adaptation dvd and manga book at the same time. 

• 5 months later...

It's probably the convenience of not having to look it up online. Sure I paid money for it but I usually only buy manga that is not the usual battle manga stuff like adults just being weird and quirky like I am. Kinda like The Way of the House Husband or The Life Changing Manga of Tidying by Marie Kondo. Even though hopefully I'll have enough courage to buy all of the One Piece and Dragon Ball graphic novels up until now, I haven't started yet cause I don't have my own place and space is limited.

• 1 year later...

I'd buy a manga usually for one of three reasons.

Because I enjoyed the anime version and want to read the manga it's based on. I've found that some anime follow the manga very closely others, just don't. Sometimes I think the manga is better, sometimes I think the anime is better, sometimes I can't decide which I prefer. But generally I find the anime adaptations to be much closer to the original than the average Hollywood film-of-the-book, which often leave me wondering if the scriptwriters had only read the dust jacket rather than the whole book.

Because the anime is only the first few volumes of the manga and I'm curious to know how the story continues, although for a couple of manga I quickly realised that it was a sort of soap opera and there wasn't going to be an ending and dropped the series.

Because there isn't an anime version, but the story looked interesting.

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

On 3/24/2022 at 4:31 AM, Animedragon said:

I'd buy a manga usually for one of three reasons.

Because I enjoyed the anime version and want to read the manga it's based on. I've found that some anime follow the manga very closely others, just don't. Sometimes I think the manga is better, sometimes I think the anime is better, sometimes I can't decide which I prefer. But generally I find the anime adaptations to be much closer to the original than the average Hollywood film-of-the-book, which often leave me wondering if the scriptwriters had only read the dust jacket rather than the whole book.

Because the anime is only the first few volumes of the manga and I'm curious to know how the story continues, although for a couple of manga I quickly realised that it was a sort of soap opera and there wasn't going to be an ending and dropped the series.

Because there isn't an anime version, but the story looked interesting.

Yes...this is me, as well. My first was an anime they only did an OVA of, so I wanted more...GunSmithCats!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Otaking66lives said:

Yes...this is me, as well. My first was an anime they only did an OVA of, so I wanted more...GunSmithCats!

Like you I got the Gunsmith Cats manga because I wanted more than just the OAV.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Years before the advent of streaming services, manga was usually cheaper than anime DVDs, or even the old VHS tapes, and was more portable than anime. I could buy two volumes of a manga for what I had to pay for one DVD with maybe a maximum of five episodes on it. I feel like most DVDs only had four episodes on average. Some only had three. As such, manga was my preferred medium in those days. There are several classic series I have to this day only read the manga version, but not watched the anime adaptations of. Usually, I find the manga to be better than the anime, so perhaps it's best to watch the anime first and then read the manga afterwards to reduce the risk of disappointment in the anime, which has happened for me at times in the past. And, if there is a situation where the anime gets the axe from the studio for whatever reason(s), manga and light novels are pretty much the only options remaining at that point to continue with the story and find out what happens.