Anime fear factor

AntonGirdeux

One of my friends asked me the other day "are those anime you watch scary?" which got me thinking that I don't really know.

I've seen most of the horror animes out there and I like them it is my favorite genre, but are they really scary? Like can they scare you as much as the most scariest movies out there? for example like the conjuring 2 and so on...

From my point of view not :D but I hardly ever get scared of anything not even from those movies :D

There is a lot of gore and action in the anime horror genre but they are not that scary.

If anyone wants to disagree or even if you don't just let me know and give me your top scariest anime you've seen and I might find something I haven't seen yet and change my mind :D

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AntonGirdeux said:

One of my friends asked me the other day "are those anime you watch scary?" which got me thinking that I don't really know.

I've seen most of the horror animes out there and I like them it is my favorite genre, but are they really scary? Like can they scare you as much as the most scariest movies out there? for example like the conjuring 2 and so on...

From my point of view not :D but I hardly ever get scared of anything not even from those movies :D

There is a lot of gore and action in the anime horror genre but they are not that scary.

If anyone wants to disagree or even if you don't just let me know and give me your top scariest anime you've seen and I might find something I haven't seen yet and change my mind :D

In my opinion, something scary is something with jumpscares, but not necessarily gore.

• Agree 1

22 hours ago, Roxeg said:

In my opinion, something scary is something with jumpscares, but not necessarily gore.

Exactly! If I didn't jump like a startled cat, then I wasn't scared.

15 hours ago, Wedgy said:

Anime doesn't scare me for the same reason I'm not frightened by South Park or the Muppets- the wide gap from realism. Fear is triggered in us when our minds sense real threats. I'm not frightened by anime, and that's literally because it is anime. I can't possibly imagine any of it as real because that's not what real life looks like at all. Compare that to a film like the Exorcist, or Pet Sematary, etc, and you give your brain the fuel to say, "Ah, cripes, I don't like this." Realism is key, and anime just can't be that- by definition.

I don't entirely agree here. Fear doesn't have to be due to a real threat. It is due to a perceived threat (real or imagined). Nightmares and a host of phobias show that. In that sense, anime can induce fear.

Now most anime in the horror genre does not scare me but Another did a great job in building the atmosphere to make me feel very unsettled. And to this day I will not carry an umbrella up or down any stairs. I think back to that scene and immediately think, "there are less painful ways for a clutz like me to die." I rarely used umbrellas before, but now I have an excellent excuse lol. That scene horrified me, but didn't scare me.

In truth, the horror genre is supposed to "horrify" you. That doesn't necessarily mean it will scare or gross you out. Somewhere along the way, American film makers became obsessed with gore and forgot what the point of a horror flick was meant to be.

Edited by Beocat
  • Like 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

• Geano locked this topic