Just gonna leave this here...

RepentantSky

Lol....and most SAO fans don't even know that dot Hack even exists. 

The parallels are unmistakable but I love dot Hack (don't love SAO). The original :) I hate to say it, but this happens a lot. An author is inspired by one story and models their own after their "muse". 

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Beocat said:

The parallels are unmistakable but I love dot Hack (don't love SAO). The original :) I hate to say it, but this happens a lot. An author is inspired by one story and models their own after their "muse". 

It's funny because there's all these obvious parallel's and yet in between them is a great show like dot hack, and SAO even at it's best can't compare. I mean how do you take that much inspiration from one show into another, and miss every mark that made the original interesting? 

19 minutes ago, Wedgy said:

Never seen SAO yet, but I kind of already figured this was the case. Haven't been in any hurry to watch it. 

Dot Hack was okay. Nothing that made me go 'wow' but it was original.

To me, this is the only news in this thread. lol

You'd be surprised how many SAO die-hard fans have never seen it.  I generally recommend it to SAO fans when they are looking for something similar.  I have found that a lot of SAO fans are relatively new to the genre (and a lot of times to anime, not all but a whole lot), so although I personally can't stand SAO, I am grateful to it for bringing in more people into the anime fandom.  I have to say, it did some good, even if I didn't enjoy it so much.  Every new person who learns to love anime is a good thing :)  Some day, some of those negative stereotypes might fade away entirely.

7 minutes ago, RepentantSky said:

It's funny because there's all these obvious parallel's and yet in between them is a great show like dot hack, and SAO even at it's best can't compare. I mean how do you take that much inspiration from one show into another, and miss every mark that made the original interesting? 

I personally think that a self-insert was to blame.  It's so hard to avoid those in writings, but I have a feeling that at the heart of it, that's what happened.  Then again, if it had been entirely like dot Hack, I would've been upset for a different reason haha... 

I remember watching this late at night and  I fell asleep during several episodes, so maybe it deserves a re-watch sometime in the near future. The soundtrack was memorable; there's some tracks, like "Key of the Twilight" I put on some mix CDs I still listen to.

Has anyone played the games? I was planning on it but they were a bit pricey last time I checked.

Edited by Frith

5 minutes ago, Frith said:

I remember watching this late at night and  I fell asleep during several episodes, so maybe it deserves a re-watch sometime in the near future. The soundtrack was memorable; there's some tracks, like "Key of the Twilight" I put on some mix CDs I still listen to.

Has anyone played the games? I was planning on it but they were a bit pricey last time I checked.

I've played the games several times, and yea, due to not amazing sales, the games are rare and expensive, but if they ever drop in price or get remade like the GU series did, I'd give them a go. They had a story that's arguably better than the anime.

• Informative 1

22 minutes ago, Frith said:

15 minutes ago, RepentantSky said:

I've played the games several times, and yea, due to not amazing sales, the games are rare and expensive, but if they ever drop in price or get remade like the GU series did, I'd give them a go. They had a story that's arguably better than the anime.

The pacing is different and the main character is very different in personality as well.  If you need a "bad ass" in the lead...you'd never be happy ~sighs~ 

I also have played the games.  I originally only had the first game on the PS2 but then I went through the trouble of tracking down the other three after they were no longer in print.  I lucked out at got the third game shrinkwrapped at Walmart (the one here is pretty well known for having crazy rare finds during the winter months). 

If you do try to track them down, the series goes Infection -> Mutation -> Outbreak -> Quarantine.  Then a separate series (the G.U. series) is out there as well.  I played the first four but never got around to the GU games.  I really enjoyed them (and there are some easter eggs to track down) and you can really dump some time into them as well.  In all actuality, the story of the series is spread out between books, anime, and video games.  You'd have to read, watch, and play them all to understand it all.  Still, even without putting that much effort into the series, the video games can be taken as stand-alones without losing much in the series.  The ability to transfer your save data from one game to the next is awesome as well.  Most games that promise that do so only in name (usually with transferring avatar image data but then resetting stats and crap).  dot Hack was awesome in that you transferred your stats, your friendships, your inventory, your everything to the next and the next game and kept building on it.  The actually delivered on the promise.

They are super valuable now.  Makes me glad I invested in purchasing them (though I'd never give them up).

• Informative 1

• 7 months later...
On 3/26/2018 at 8:22 PM, Beocat said:

I honestly forgot that the dot hack series was of the same genre and had the same central plot as SAO when I watched the first 3 SAO series. My ex before last was a massive dot Hack fan, so much so that she owned all DVDs of the series that had been released at that point and several of the games too.

Honestly, looking at SAO again, and comparing it to dot Hack is kinda insulting dot Hack. SAO was a completely improperly paced story. It honestly feels like something a 12 year old in the 90s would have written as a fanfic for dot Hack. At least that's how I see it. I'm kind of in a mood to sit down and properly watch dot Hack again, as I never got to finish it.

Edited by KeilynLocke
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

Let's just start off with the fact that the only thing SAO and .Hack have in common is the no logging out and death situation. Any anime that gears towards an online MMORPG storyline will have at least those two key elements in common. 

.Hack series starts off with the main protagonist waking up in The World without any recollection of who he is and how he got there. Then the, "Oh shit." moment happens when he realizes he cannot log out. Unlike, SOA where everyone starts to realize they cannot log out and even get a lovely announcement as to how and why. Setting aside the death patterns from both series; the main storyline is completely different. .Hack is a deep-rooted story about the creator of The World and his reasons for creating an AI and the truths behind the virus of users dying left and right when they'd be removed from the game in real life. On top of that, it focused on many common mental conditions of the world. Such as anxiety, depression, anti-social, etc..  Opposed to SOA where it's some douche who wanted some form of revenge or had some thought. Then that other season where there's a damsel in distress and the hero goes to save her. SAO is pretty much a light anime when it's pinned up against .Hack. Also, the main character in .Hack/Sign is female. I get why the "comparisons" were made, but if this comparison was done..then it should have included all video-game based animes. SOA and .Hack were not the only ones. >Hack just happened to be the series that placed these kinds of shows in the anime map. 

Edited by Persona