General Japanese Learning Discussion

Optic

and then there's ソ and ン the death of me due to my handwriting ,

I'm now about halfway through the Katakana. Some of these are brutal, those two you listed for example. But also シ and ツ ... on this font it looks quite distinct but on some other fonts it's quite similar. @_@

Just adding that I haven't started writing any kana yet, just committing them to memory as I want to learn ASAP so I can read more of the kana in my Hyperdimension Neptunia PS4 game which is in full Japanese. xD

I want to learn ASAP so I can read more of the kana in my Hyperdimension Neptunia PS4 game which is in full Japanese. xD

Haha it does make it a little more fun when you have something to look forward to other than just the felling of learning something new.

I'm now about halfway through the Katakana. Some of these are brutal, those two you listed for example. But also シ and ツ ... on this font it looks quite distinct but on some other fonts it's quite similar. @_@

Just adding that I haven't started writing any kana yet, just committing them to memory as I want to learn ASAP so I can read more of the kana in my Hyperdimension Neptunia PS4 game which is in full Japanese. xD

Actually, writing does help to burn it into memory. I can't really write all that well now, but I know the characters when I see them because of my writing them when learning.

• 2 months later...
I'm not even attempting to learn Japanese, but I can recognise so many Hiragana and Katakana characters already, along with a few random Kanji. I must just be that much of a total weeb. Sometimes when I'm watching anime, I'll look away for a moment to grab a drink or something, and I'll still pretty much know what they say, so long as the sentence is simple. It's a weird feeling, but maybe it means I would have an easy time properly learning if I ever decide I want to.

Then just learn hirigana and katakana and A few romaji just to say yay i know what it says it really motivating you feel like a wizard writing hirigana and kanji down and katakana! like me あなた わ てんさい です!

Then just learn hirigana and katakana and A few romaji just to say yay i know what it says it really motivating you feel like a wizard writing hirigana and kanji down and katakana! like me あなた わ てんさい です!

True it is very motivating when you learn something new

Just a btw Slayer when you write "wa" as in "anata wa tensai" or " watashi wa anime ga suki" the wa is actually written は not わ it's odd but you get used to it.

• Informative 1

• 4 months later...

It's been quite while since anyone posted their progress so I thought I would ask, how have you all been doing in your studies ?

Mine are going well and I think I will be more than ready for my N5 when it rolls around next year, I have been studying kanji a lot more now and I think I am doing pretty well , also I have been reading manga in Japanese (borrowed from my Sensei :P) which is helping my reading a lot and I have been watching more and more anime RAW (which pleases me the most out of all my achievements at the moment) though there are still times when I get lost ... Oh well I will just have to study harder :P

• Like 1

Due to various life events, I've had on and off periods with my Japanese learning. Recently though I've had good success listening to Japanese podcasts during my driving commutes and that has helped improved my vocabulary significantly.

Going for the N5 would be a good goal, and something I want to really do too as it is a tangible goal and something great to put on the resume.

also I have been reading manga in Japanese (borrowed from my Sensei :P)

Might be worthwhile playing a Japanese game or VN. ;) I've got a few... though it had little effect on my learning, the problem with most games are you can generally pummel through them without needing to understand the dialogue. Furthermore it doesn't help when you play more simple games like Mobile Suit Gundam or Hyperdimension Neptunia..

Mangas sounds like the way to go.

Edited by Guest

Due to various life events, I've had on and off periods with my Japanese learning. Recently though I've had good success listening to Japanese podcasts during my driving commutes and that has helped improved my vocabulary significantly.

Going for the N5 would be a good goal, and something I want to really do too as it is a tangible goal and something great to put on the resume.

Good to hear , I hope you get your N5 Soon Optic.

Might be worthwhile playing a Japanese game or VN. ;) I've got a few... though it had little effect on my learning, the problem with most games are you can generally pummel through them without needing to understand the dialogue. Furthermore it doesn't help when you play more simple games like Mobile Suit Gundam or Hyperdimension Neptunia..

I have a few Japanese RPG's that I play , you can't really ignore the dialogue with them as the story is quite important ... I hate skipping any dialogue or anything that relates to the story of a game anyway , the one I am most interested in at the moment is Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix + , I started it because there are extra areas and Keyblades that you cant get in the normal KH2 and I don't think there is an English version of Final Mix + , so I picked this one up :P

Edited by Guest

Good to hear , I hope you get your N5 Soon Optic.

Thanks. Looking at the JLPT website, you can only take a JLPT test once a year (every December) in Australia...

Some countries let you take it in July too:

http://www.jlpt.jp/e/application/overseas_list.html

Might have to take an overseas trip mid year I think, or maybe take it in Japan. :P

I started it because there are extra areas and Keyblades that you cant get in the normal KH2 and I don't think there is an English version of Final Mix + , so I picked this one up :P

Good incentive. I've been leaning towards PS Vita games as they're not region locked. What region are you? PAL or NTSC? pre-HD era, PlayStation 2 was quite notorious for being incompatible between the two versions.

• 4 months later...

Thought I'd update my progress. I've been using WaniKani almost everyday to help memorise kanji and vocabulary. It has been REALLY helpful as I can do the reviews during my lunch breaks at work and at places wherever I get a break as it's entirely web-based which I can use on my smartphone.

Although Anki is similar in the idea of SRS (spaced repetition system), it takes time to set up the decks. Whereas with WaniKani it already has really good explanations and mnemonics through its reference and lessons.

Currently I'm level 5 in WaniKani - I think if I keep this up regularly and start to work more on my Japanese grammar I should be in good shape for taking the JLPT N5 this year in December.

wanikani-progress.thumb.PNG.8493b854f61f4d1c74b8f89074a45388.PNG

• 6 months later...

hey @Optic im interested in learning to speak Japanese if you had to do it all again would you do it the same way or different ????

if youd do it the same way where was this ??

So I'm currently taking a weekly Saturday beginners Japanese course at a learning institution. 10x 2 hour lessons for $200 which is pretty good value, and we get a fluent Japanese teacher to practice with. Small class of 10 too. ^_^

Anyone else considering learning Japanese? Or perhaps you studied it in school? If so what is your level of proficiency?

I have been planning a trip to japan for a while but been put back twice now planning going around august next year and would like to learn some

Edited by Guest

I have been planning a trip to japan for a while but been put back twice now planning going around august next year and would like to learn some
I wouldn't advise traveling in Japan during August. It's super humid and there'll be more crowds because of kids being off, Yama no Hi, and obon. Yama no Hi is a new holiday...Mountain Day. Just started last year. Edited by Guest

im interested in learning to speak Japanese if you had to do it all again would you do it the same way or different ????

I am not proficient or fluent at all due to my slow self-studying pace. But if I could do it again, I would have started much sooner to be more proficient in it, such as in high school. During my High School years I chose German - which was pretty interesting but after visiting Japan twice now, I really do have a nice appreciation for the Japanese language.

I suppose it depends what you want to get out of it. If you plan to live there long term or work there or even just to use it to enjoy anime and manga in native Japanese then yeah go for it! But if you just want to go to Japan as a tourist, then a few basic phrases would get you by just fine. :)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

yes basic phrases be good , as a start and at this stage id be more in to learning to speak rather than write

at this stage my plans be more orientated around that part of the world besides well anime/manda , it wouldn't be for work but I do plan regularly holidaying there now (and may be a bit china) we will see about the living there but if I did it wouldn't be any suprise

Edited by Guest