Are you a Nerd or Geek?

King_Sama

Nerd, Geek, or You?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which are you?

• Nerd
    • Geek
    • Just you

It's a common stereotype that people like us, anime watchers, manga readers, gamers, etc. Are considered either a nerd or geek. Though, when you look of the definitions for both there's nothing in them that says anything about who we are here. 

Nerd: a foolish or contemptible person who lacks social skills or is boringly studious.

Geek: an unfashionable or socially inept person.

Both of these pretty much say the same thing, but in my opinion are completely untrue. When it comes to either one I see both as a type of person that isn't afraid to think out the box and say what they mean. You can say we're a little antisocial for all of a minute, until we we find someone just like us to share those common traits. These days you can't walk down the street without finding that person. What I'm saying is we are so much more than just antisocial people. We're people with with imaginations that defy logic, see the world for more than what's given to us, and fashion starts if i say so myself. Lol

We aren't afraid to be ourselves, something not a lot of people can say.

So, are you a nerd, geek, or just say screw the dictionary because you're just you.

• Like 1

I don't self-identify as either a nerd or geek, mostly because nobody has ever been able to properly define the terms to my satisfaction, and if I use what's in my head to describe myself, someone else might get the wrong idea based on the definition that's in their head.

The definition(s) that I'm mostly on board with is that a nerd is someone who is studious, usually in an intellectual (math, science) or technical (or at least complicated, as in a game perhaps) field or subject, and is perhaps lacking in social skills, or at least uncomfortable in social situations (i.e. introverted).  A geek is someone who is obsessive or passionate about something, often something "nerdy" (whatever that means).

This doesn't quite work though, because there are definitions of "geek" that don't fit that model.  "Circus geek" for example.  I kind of discount - or at least depreciate - that usage as anachronistic though since I've never encountered it "in the wild".  I do encounter usages of "geek" to mean enthusiastic or passionate all the time however.  Saying someone is "geeking out" over something for example.  Again using "geek" to mean extreme, obsessive, or passionate about something.  So that/those are my working definition(s).

As for which I am, tbh, at this point I don't really care.  While the definitions have sometimes come close to describing certain aspects of my personality, I don't feel I fit enough within the definition of either word to be a useful description of me.  Besides which, both myself and the definitions have changed over time to make them sometimes more applicable, sometimes less.  If I ever use such term to describe myself I usually wind up throwing in a bunch of qualifiers anyway.  The terms are too imprecise and loaded, and therefore don't have much practical value.  Especially as I get older, I'm just me.

I'm kind of in the middle. On the one hand, I really like video games, movies and all that, but on the other hand, I really like to know more about those things than the average person. I guess, that makes me a, Neek, or a Gerd, or whatever you want to call it. 

• Like 1

I'm neither. :) I'm normal to the point where I can't be called neither one of those I think. Like I go out with friends and party all night and there are also times where I just want to stay at home alone. I mean I'm not antisocial or unfashionable. I'm completely normal. Anime for me is a hobby and a past time tbh and I'm nowhere near addicted to anime to the point of buying anime stuffs. (In my humble opinion) 

I think its always stereotyped that anime watchers, manga readers and etc can be antisocials, geeks or nerds when actually normal people can watch anime too without being branded as any of those. Society has a lot to say. Screw what society says about anime and anime watchers :P 

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

I don't mind any of them to be honest. Nerds and Geek's are fine, I think their cute to be honest. However when I'm explaining myself, I don't think I would classify myself as them. Sure, I love nerdy things, I just don't think that would define me as a person. If anything, I'm just who I am and do things I feel passionate about. One thing I will admit to though is I love cartoons, anime, movies, reading, science and The X-Files series. Just doubt that would define me as a geek. Now I'm just babbling on here, lol!! :histoire: