Age limits for animation

Norvath

I turned 22 not to long ago and I've come to realize that i'm probably getting to old for anime and manga.

This is reinforced  by everyone I know no longer being into it anymore.

So should I just move on to more normal shows?

• Disagree 1
  • Confused 1

I don't think there is really an age limit for watching anime.

Some people are older and still watch it, it really depends on individuals. 

You see, most anime creators are older than 22 and they are still into anime/manga that they draw it themselves lol ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

You should do whatever feels right to you. Just understand that no one is ever too old for anime. Read some entries from this thread for more info on that.

I think anime can be enjoyed alone. I've enjoyed it alone for years. Didn't diminish it in any way for me. That being said, I do like this forum. It's nice to chat with other fans.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Norvath said:

I turned 22 not to long ago and I've come to realize that i'm probably getting to old for anime and manga.

This is reinforced  by everyone I know no longer being into it anymore.

So should I just move on to more normal shows?

Tastes may change, but anime is such a broad subject that I don't think you're ever too old for it.  That would be like saying you're to old for books.  I'm 53 and still into it (both anime and books).  True, I don't watch/read the kinds of stuff that I did when I was in my 20s or 30s, but I'm still finding interesting new stuff.

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

anime had multiple target and multiple genre  guess you maybe are bored of mainstream anime,try some anime (or manga) underrated, try to read  Naoki Urasawa  manga or Tezuka'works  or ghibli movies 

Edited by Misari

so are you age appropriate to go see a movie ? would you see Rampage or Peter Rabbit

so are you age appropriate to go to a theme park say Disneyland would you ride Splash Mountain or Donald's Boat

there may be anime's produced for certain ages (this doesn't mean others cant watch as well) but anime in general isn't the target for one age group there are anime's out there to target older age groups too

and then theres is the factor of what you actually like as well

if your friends drive cars and like yellow cars but you want a blue one would you still go get a yellow one or get what makes you happy

I agree with the above - there are just so many themes and topics covered by both anime and manga.

@Norvath I think you should try diving into other genres. If you're after something more thought provoking, maybe look into anime with sci-fi psychological thriller themes?

Maybe even go on a hiatus, you'll be back with a thirst for more titles. :P

I met a guy at work last week who's been watching anime ever since he was a kid in the '60s, starting with Kimba. He was reading a volume of Wolf and Parchment today during break. I'm sure some people think it's strange, but he can do his job well and is a fully functioning adult so no one picks on him or anything.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Frith said:

I met a guy at work last week who's been watching anime ever since he was a kid in the '60s, starting with Kimba. He was reading a volume of Wolf and Parchment today during break. I'm sure some people think it's strange, but he can do his job well and is a fully functioning adult so no one picks on him or anything.

I remember Kimba the White Lion

Image result for kimba the white

Anime has no age limit. Yes there are anime directed for younger audiences but however there are anime for adults as well. 

Ghost In The Shell

Claymore

Gungrave 

Samurai Champloo

Juden Chan (Charger Girls)

are just some to name that are directed towards adults.

Honestly though, if you are losing interest in anime then just watch what you like and as for the rest... don't. I mean it's your preference but I advise don't just do something because everyone else is doing it. Hell, my dad watches Ghost In The Shell and he's in his 70's, lol.

• Like 2

On 5/7/2018 at 6:44 PM, Frith said:

I met a guy at work last week who's been watching anime ever since he was a kid in the '60s..

I was born in '64.  Been watching anime regularly since at least high school.

On 5/8/2018 at 7:38 PM, EnviousEnvy said:

my dad watches Ghost In The Shell

GitS is awesome.  Not a big fan of the movies.  (Especially the most recent live action .. I side with the "disingenuous and pointless" faction there, though I have to admit I don't mind looking at Scarlett Johansson :) )  Really liked the TV series though.  It might just be my favorite anime of all time.  And of course the paper version is always the best.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Can't really anything more to what everyone else has already said, all I can say it's up to you. If you enjoy it, watch it and keep watching it. Don't let stigmata or peer pressure dissuade you from doing something you enjoy. I've been enjoying it for about thirty years now and can honestly see myself in depends catching up on the latest and greatest. Probably will have at least something in common with the grandchildren. 👨‍👧‍👦

PS: Leave for a bit of hiatus and come bad to emoji heaven! Thanks! 🤪

I think some of the content in anime helps others grow out of social boundaries and maybe gets them into new and interesting activities. Crunchyroll pulls in a lot of cash, not sure if this site pulls in any money.