Cooking - general discussion

drill

What do you do with a failed dish?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What do you do with a failed dish?

• Eat it anyway.
    • Eat something else.
    • Toss it and try again.
    • Give up and dont eat anything at all.

Okay, so this sounds silly, but when I was replying to a thread here this morning, I accidentally overcooked my eggs. I tried eating them anyway, but really they were done for. :'( I ended up just eating a banana for breakfast in place of my eggs (I'll probably have to eat something later, as this definitely won't tide me over). So, what do you do when you cook a failed dish?

If it's terribly cooked then I just threw it away = waste of food = waste of money.

I just eat whatever it's there if I failed to cook something but I don't feel like cooking anything because I'm lazy. However, cooking is important for our daily lives so...

By fail if you mean totally ruined, then normally I throw it away.

Unless it's still edible, maybe just having one taste go way off, lets say for example too much spiciness. I would still try to eat it

• 2 weeks later...

I eat it. It can't be too bad, right?

I don't cook that much advanced stuff. If I follow the recipe, usually I don't make mistakes and it looks good. I also look up cooking tips on youtube just incase I've never cooked it before.

• 6 months later...

I'm a terrible cooker but also an eater. So when I failed my dishes which is mostly happens a lot I would always to try again and toss the failed dish away.

Sometimes they wouldn't even let me in the kitchen to try cooking since I'd be wasting money for all the spoiled dish I'm going to make.

It depends on how badly it's messed up. Unless it's really screwed up, it's still going in my belly. I am very reluctant to waste anything. Otherwise, I give it to the cats, dogs, or chickens providing it isn't something bad for them so at the very least it wasn't completely wasted.

• 2 weeks later...

About the only thing I know how to cook is fudge :P Even if the batch turns out bad (usually due to the weather not being right) I still eat it because I love fudge!

Note: Never try to make fudge on a rainy day. It won't set up right.

I prefer plain original fudge without nuts. As for the burning, as long as you don't stop stirring you should be fine. Seriously. I've spent 45 minutes + doing nothing but stirring waiting for it to come to a roaring boil on medium heat.

• 7 months later...

For dough you will need

1 and 1/2 cups flour

125ml warm water

Mix and knead dough, adding more flour as you go to get a firm texture for 8 mins.

Set aside to rise slightly.

For sauce you will need

Half cup light soy sauce

Half cup rice vinegar

Sprinkle of garlic flakes

2TBSP honey

1TSP ginger

3TSP chili flakes

3 squirts lime juice

Mix and leave to the side

Gather your dough and knead it out again, then chop into 15 same sized portions, roll into flat cirles and fill with desired filling then roll up and seal, shallow fry in canola oil till lightly crispy then add the sauce mix, cover pan with lid and cook on low for about 11 mins, after that time check them and turn them over, add a little water if liquid is getting low then cook another 5 mins, then eat :)

@Sloth_chocolate , I've moved your Asian Style dumpling Recipe into this cooking discussion thread. You're more likely to get a response to it here. Is this a recipe you came up with yourself or adapted it to your liking? It sounds tasty. :)

As for myself, I'm quite hopeless with cooking. Anything that just requires pan frying and oven gets two thumbs up for me as I'm quite time poor in the evenings. :S

@Sloth_chocolate , I've moved your Asian Style dumpling Recipe into this cooking discussion thread. You're more likely to get a response to it here. Is this a recipe you came up with yourself or adapted it to your liking? It sounds tasty. :)

As for myself, I'm quite hopeless with cooking. Anything that just requires pan frying and oven gets two thumbs up for me as I'm quite time poor in the evenings. :S

I adpated it from one I found online, added some things to it etc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

@zoop get the hell over here this thread has your name all over it

but mostly this post because I just wrote it there

So, what do you do when you cook a failed dish?

I scoff it regardless! :D

I've been brought up to eat what I'm given whether it looks and tastes toxic or not, and as a result I'm quite happy eating a failed dish just to get rid of it. Most of what I make is never really that destroyed anyway so it's usually okay to eat.

I do quite a bit of cooking, my mum's been teaching me a lot of recipes on how to cook for myself since my dad is kind of useless with cooking and prefers to just eat unhealthy amounts of fast-food. I know better than that, so I feed myself, tyvm :P

My favourite thing at the minute is Chilli Con Carne for flavour, and Macaroni Cheese for convenience.

Chilli is the thing that I can make pretty consistently well, and my relatives have really taken a liking to my stepdad's previously unheard of recipe. With Mac and cheese, you can just chuck what ever you want in the sauce and it's one of the most versatile recipes I know of.

Speaking of versatility, I'm also quite fond of my great-gran's old quiche recipe. It works in a similar way, you just throw in various bits of stuff you want to use up and whack it in the oven. It's optimised for speed too. Legendary family recipe. (y)

• Funny 1

So, what do you do when you cook a failed dish?

Try to maintain my composure. Fail. Try to hold back tears as @Cy~ observes my reaction with equal parts horror and disbelief.

I wish I were joking. I really wish I were. I'm not. :angry:

After having my mini-failure meltdown, I typically toss it in irritation. My kitchen has no place for the flawed and imperfect!

My favourite thing at the minute is Chilli Con Carne for flavour

I am curious, how does that recipe work?

Macaroni Cheese for convenience.

God save me. :sick:

As for myself... I really rather like cooking! I didn't expect I would early on, either - I only really got my start at it in the last couple years, after I moved in with Cy~. Prior to that, I was a slob when it came to food, I'm sad to say.

The things I most frequently prepare are just simple ground beef dishes for weekday dinners - homemade sloppy joes and seasoned beef for various tex-mex purposes. Some of the more involved dinners that I do are crispy tortilla pizzas (though I've largely passed that torch off to Cy~), sausage jambalaya, meatball sandwiches, restaurant caliber shredded beef / chicken for tex-mex, spaghetti sauces, and things of that sort. I've made my own chicken noodle soup from near scratch (I confess to using frozen egg noodles), though I found it to be too much trouble to bother with, most of the time. I wouldn't mind doing it again though.

For breakfasts I've done a great deal of pancakes - enough so that I'm now completely sick of them - as well as some waffles, French toast, and if I may say so myself, friggin' awesome Egg McMuffin clones.

For deserts, I've done homemade apple fritters, strawberry shortcake, and things like that.

I don't generally do anything fancy for lunch, but I am fond of shredded chicken salads and/or sandwiches with some avocado and salsa, or tuna (fresh from the can o3o) with quick pickled onions. Also peanut butter and jelly, 'cause fuck it - let's be honest, I'm a kid at heart.

I'm always interested in trying new things, and am always driving Cy~ crazy when we go grocery shopping - I'm like a kid in a candy shop. I'll see some strange new ingredient and be all like "oooooo, ahhhhhhh" while staring at it, until she drags me away. Thankfully she's good at saving me from myself, otherwise our grocery budget would be five kinds of absurd.

I'm a religious reader of http://seriouseats.com , which I think has been the single most educational website I've ever frequented.

... :?

• Like 1

I am curious, how does that recipe work?

It's quite rough and there aren't really many exact measurements.

You'll have to excuse my very vague understanding of cooking terms.

A pack of 500g Beef mince,

An onion,

A red or yellow bell pepper.

A tin of chopped tomatoes,

A tin of red kidney beans, preferably in chilli sauce,

A good amount of tomato puree,

Beef stock cube.

Seasonings.

Add a small amount of olive oil into a pan.

Throw in the beef and cook on a medium heat until there is no red visible.

Add a diced onion to the pan.

When the onion becomes nearly soft, add a sliced red/yellow pepper.

Stirring throughout.

Around 5 minutes later add the chopped tomatoes, puree and red kidney beans.

(If the beans are in saltwater, I usually drain them first, but if they are in chilli sauce then I empty everything into the pan.)

Add some water (if you didn't use the chilli sauce from the kidney bean tin) and put in a beef stock cube.

Add salt, pepper, and chilli flakes/sauce.

Cook for around 15 minutes.

Continue stirring to agitate the mixture until the chilli reaches the desired consistency.

Serve in the center of a ring of white rice.

I think that's about right @_@

I'm really not a chef or anything like I just remember what I was taught to do xD

• Like 1

If I fail at something, first I'll try it to see if it's edible. If it's not edible, then what I do depends on how much work was put into it. If it was a rather quick or at least straightforward dish, then I'll try again. If I put a lot of work into it, then I'll probably get upset and throw it out and just eat whatever I can find. If I'm willing to try again but don't have the ingredients, then I'll find a different dish to try. And if it's a failed dish that a lot of work went into and it's not edible and I'm hungry enough to have reached the hangry stage, then chances are I'll throw it away in extreme frustration and then just say fuck it all and not eat for several hours (thus making my mood even worse. It's a stupid cycle)

• Like 2

can't say I've ever made anything uneatable , but I have set out to make a dish and somewhere in the process it has become a different dish to how it was meant to turn out

Made some slow cooked (in the oven for six hours, wooo) shredded chicken flavored with chipotle peppers for dinner tonight... I'll also be using the liquids leftover from cooking (chicken broth, salsa, etc) to make some rice with. Should make for some very good burritos tonight.

• Like 1

Made some slow cooked (in the oven for six hours, wooo) shredded chicken flavored with chipotle peppers for dinner tonight... I'll also be using the liquids leftover from cooking (chicken broth, salsa, etc) to make some rice with. Should make for some very good burritos tonight.

tenor.gif.958817337230d6cc49f5c5c120d5c32c.gif

That. Sounds. Incredible.

I'm drooling here.

@Cy~, you lucky, lucky person.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1