• Cardcaptor series
    • Lyrical Nanoha series
    • Selector WIXOSS
    • Madoka series
    • Wish Upon the Pleiades
    • Fate Prisma series
    • Little Sammy
    • Others, please list series in your comments
  2. 2. What makes an anime a Magical Girl series and not something else? (Multiple choice)

• Transformations! Cool outfits are a must!
    • Every series needs a talking familiar....
    • The battles must be of global consequence (in a manner of speaking)
    • Must be more than one magical girl....
    • The magic must be rare, hard to attain, or innate to the characters. No covens here!
    • Secret identities. Everyone excels at Clark Kent style subterfuge.
    • Tragedy is a necessity for the story.
    • Magic.....and girls! What else is there?
    • I missed something....please explain in the comments

No complaints from me, as I wasn't around to respond when it was initially closed :P

My favorite is one most people don't seem to think of when you mention the genre: Magic Knight Rayearth.  It has all the prerequisites: young girls bestowed with magical abilities, transformation sequences, an adorable mascot/familiar creature, romance ... Of course it also incorporates elements of D&D fantasy and mecha (once they discover the "Rune Gods". And the second season adds scifi elements as well.

As far as Madoka, I started watching it once but didn't get very far, though I did see one of the key moments

the blond girl being killed by the witch
I honestly don't remember why I stopped watching, guess it just wasn't what I was looking for at the time, but it's definitely on my bucket list

6 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

No complaints from me, as I wasn't around to respond when it was initially closed :P

My favorite is one most people don't seem to think of when you mention the genre: Magic Knight Rayearth.  It has all the prerequisites: young girls bestowed with magical abilities, transformation sequences, an adorable mascot/familiar creature, romance ... Of course it also incorporates elements of D&D fantasy and mecha (once they discover the "Rune Gods". And the second season adds scifi elements as well.

As far as Madoka, I started watching it once but didn't get very far, though I did see one of the key moments

Reveal hidden contents

the blond girl being killed by the witch

I honestly don't remember why I stopped watching, guess it just wasn't what I was looking for at the time, but it's definitely on my bucket list

Yes! Magic Knight Rayearth is definitely a magical girl anime and often, as you say, overlooked. Fuu was my favorite character from the series too ^_^ I think most people just missed it when it came out.   Who was your favorite from Rayearth?

fuu.jpg.d7488b5fa8788eaa11d803e2b7237f21.jpg

I love Magical Girl anime, and manga. I started with Sailor Moon back in the day. After seeing the DIC dub I immediately began forming my opinion of sub rules over dub, but that is neither here, nor there not for this thread. The original fir SM was, and still is truly amazing something I have watched to this day. In terms of a favorite one in the geenre that is without a doubt Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Its a short yet awesome series, and I have quickly became far more obsessed with it recently. Another series I really like is Card Captor Sakura. I also like Clear Card as well. It did a great job in continuing the story. Now I will say Madoka Magica is definitely not a traditional magical girl anime, or story honestly. It is more of deconstruction of the genre itself. Though it dose that so so well. 

In terms of what a good magical girl anime, or manga needs. I would say transformation sequences of some form are certainly a plus, but not always needed. A good history, and lore to the magics being used, and why they are what they are. Thats something a lot of anime in the genre struggles with in my opinion. This is especially true in more recent series, but that again is something for another topic on anime quality degradation in general. There is still of course plenty newer series with great lore, and mystery behind their stories even in the shorter 12 episode ones. Another thing that really makes for aa good story is having something big effect the world, or at least the local area. In my opinion we are in short supply of series that are smaller scale. For example a catastrophe dose not need to effect the universe, or entire world for it to be good. It can effect a city, or country, or something like that. I think personally when a series is able to do that well it is one to be remembered. Unforgettably. that seems to be more present in si-fi, or mecha anime then in magical girl stories, but nonetheless it is in a few which is nice.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ArchieKun said:

Another series I really like is Card Captor Sakura. I also like Clear Card as well

The original CCS is one of my favorites as well, though I personally find the Clear Card arc lacking. Another enjoyable CLAMP series is Kobato, though it's not a conventional magical girl series. While she's on a magical quest and has a familiar who masquerades as a plush animal similar to Kero, she doesn't have any magical powers (other than her clumsiness and her ability to melt even the most jaded heart).

Some other memorable examples of the genre for me:

Pretear which has reverse-harem elements

Princess Tutu & Petite Princess Yucie both emphasize fantasy & fairy tale  elements.

Magical Girl Spec Ops Asuka definitely is a much darker take on things. A word of warning, the series features gratuitous violence, and not in a comedic way (episode 4 in particular had a lengthy torture sequence that was difficult to watch)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, xWickedNekox said:

I also really love "Is it a zombie?"... I know it's technically not a "magical girl" anime but there is a magical girl as one of the main characters... XD

I believe that the term Magical Girl actually means different things to different people, so as long as you have reasons to see it as a Magical Girl anime,  I don't see why it couldn't be. :)

7 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

Princess Tutu & Petite Princess Yucie both emphasize fantasy & fairy tale  elements.

Magical Girl Spec Ops Asuka definitely is a much darker take on things. A word of warning, the series features gratuitous violence, and not in a comedic way (episode 4 in particular had a lengthy torture sequence that was difficult to watch)

Ah, Pretear. I never hear people mention that one. I was more a fan of the manga (didn't like that they changed the story and romance in the anime) but it is still a good Magical Girl anime.  And Princess Yucie, I keep her in my Magical Girl section too! Though for me she is more a borderline Magical Girl. That was a beautiful story :)

20 hours ago, xWickedNekox said:

I also really love "Is it a zombie?"... I know it's technically not a "magical girl" anime but there is a magical girl as one of the main characters... XD

Its still a good one even its not a true magical girl based story. It still has references to magic in it.

11 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

The original CCS is one of my favorites as well, though I personally find the Clear Card arc lacking. Another enjoyable CLAMP series is Kobato, though it's not a conventional magical girl series. While she's on a magical quest and has a familiar who masquerades as a plush animal similar to Kero, she doesn't have any magical powers (other than her clumsiness and her ability to melt even the most jaded heart).

Yah I do agree with you there. Clear Card never quite stud up to the original. Though the original CCS is a tough act to beat to be sure.