The Choice of the Steins;Gate!!

Hououin Kyouma

Even after watching and re-watching Steins;Gate, I still have no idea how did Okabe develop the ability of the Reading Steiner. I know that it was depicted that he might have gotten it around the time he fell sick in his childhood around Y2K. I have been wondering for a long time now as to how was he able to develop this ability. All and any discussions are welcome.

El Psy Congroo!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Having just watched this, i don't remember there being a clear and definite answer to this. Everybody can read steiner but it never specifically says why Okabe can remember everything clearly and without need for something or someone to jog his memory. I think there are a couple of possible solutions to the question. (This is based solely on the anime, the manga may have a definite answer).

1. Okabe is the first person chronologically to split the timeline. It was his phone which caused it in the first place.
  2. Okabe has adopted the personality of hououin kyouma and because of this detachment from his true self he's able to see the world from a broader perspective (like we are as the viewer this is the version i choose to believe).
  3. According to the Steins;Gate movie, Okabe was affected by time travel before the events of Steins;Gate, which could have caused him to be more open to accepting the possibility of different world lines.
  • Like 2

If I remember correctly, the visual novel states that everyone has reading steiner, though the degree varies from person to person. Okabe is simply the only person in the story with his degree of reading steiner ability. It should be noted that, if I recall correctly, it's implied, when they meet at the end of the Visual Novel, Kurisu suddenly recalled everything, at least in regards to Okabe.

Edited by Bernkastel
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Hououin Kyouma said:

Arigatou Gozaimasu!

El Psy Congroo!

I feel the need to mention that it's actually "El Psy Kongroo"

The C was a translation error.