I need a good, different anime to watch

RepentantSky

I'm growing tired of Shounen. I don't want to see another anime like DBZ, Naruto, My Hero Academia, SAO, or anything like that. I want something unique, something that tries to catch your eye with more than just visuals, something that is just different. I haven't watched an anime in full since AoT season 2, and I'm tried of dropping anime ultimately because things are so samey. I'm asking for a tall order here, and I know that, but I really, really want something to watch that's interesting, good, and doesn't try to rely too heavily on cliche's. I need something new and different, because I don't want the occasional rare anime that everyone is into to be the only thing I watch, especially since I so rarely enjoy those few great anime as much as most people do.  

I had this problem as well. The problem for me is the incredible length of those shows you listed. What I did (I don't know if it will work for you) is to instead of watch popular stuff watch series with 13-25 episodes. Doing this defiantly got me back into anime.

How can we recommend something if we don't know what you like? No shounen, got that. What genre do you lean towards in general. For instance, I like mystery and crime stuff in a general sense, whether it's a novel, fanfiction, comic, manga, live-action television show, etc.

I think it's the genre. They do a lot of the same things especially as far as moving the plot forward. Drop that genre and try a few different things. 

Another - horror anime. 12 episodes. 

Ah! My Goddess - romance anime.

Moribito - action with meaning. 

Psycho-Pass - mystery psychological thriller

Selector infected WIXOSS - magical girl card anime, very different and pushes some boundaries 

Uta no Prince-Sama - reverse harem and a really fun time. I smiled so much :)

Hanayamata - slice of life, good watch, interesting and helps you slow down some without grounding to a halt.

7 hours ago, ssjup81 said:

How can we recommend something if we don't know what you like? No shounen, got that. What genre do you lean towards in general. For instance, I like mystery and crime stuff in a general sense, whether it's a novel, fanfiction, comic, manga, live-action television show, etc.

As long as it's not shounen, I'm open to pretty much anything as long as it can stand out among all the other anime in it's genre. 

@Beocat I haven't seen the last one of those. I will gladly so ahead and check it out. 

• Like 1

Drifters - historical figures teleported to a different world which they would fight off the 'Ends'.

A place further than the universe - Slice of life, school girls goes to Antarctica.

Yuru Camp - Slice of life, comedy, about girls camping.

Ballroom e Youkoso - its a shounen (According to MAL) but it has a different vibe compared to those popular shounens. Its about a school boy joining and competing ballroom competitions.

Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e - school life, psychological, drama, about class rankings. 

hope it helps ^^

5 hours ago, RepentantSky said:

@Beocat I haven't seen the last one of those. I will gladly so ahead and check it out. 

Let me know what you think of it.  I really enjoyed it, probably my favorite Slice of Life. I was listing by memory (trying for one anime of each genre) but there are a few other anime in my collection you might not have seen but would enjoy if you are interested.

On 4/10/2018 at 4:55 AM, RepentantSky said:

As long as it's not shounen, I'm open to pretty much anything as long as it can stand out among all the other anime in it's genre. 

How about shoujo? :-P lol

Joking aside, dunno if they "stand out" because that type of thing is highly subjective. For example, a lot of people like Naruto. I got bored of it, but I really like Hunter x Hunter and find that it's better written and stuff. 

Anyway, here are some suggestions for comedy, drama, slice of life, supernatural, mystery, etc., that comes to mind for me:

Azumanga Daioh
Excel Saga
Jungle wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu
Jungle wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu Deluxe
Jungle wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu Final
Noir
Isshukan Friends
Kuroshitsuji
Kuroshitsuji II
Marmalade Boy
Detective Conan

Edited by ssjup81

• 3 weeks later...

Food wars!!! Known as 

Shokugeki no Souma - this anime is so unique and amazing. It’s about chefs that have a battle. Whoever can make the best dish and impress the judges win. 

It sounds dull but it’s not it’s actually amazing I definitely recommend this anime to you. I’m still watching it as new episodes are being released.

the cooking is soo intense so it’s the judging part of it, one of the episode I actually started sweating lol just kidding. My point is it’s an overall an amazing anime must watch. It was almost part of my top ten.

Had to place  pic because the anime is amazing and intense.

B4BEF1C5-4D66-42CF-871D-D18B52A385F0.jpeg

Edited by Part_time_anime

I ♡♡♡ thriller animes so I would recommend

Death Note, Terror in Resonance, Another, Mirai no Nikki, or Hell Girl. Don't binge watch Hell Girl.. Hell Girl is an anime you want to watch a few every night to satisfy your lust to watch thriller animes.

• 2 weeks later...

I should respond to this thread. It feels kind of mean to leave you all hanging like that. So, I have watched and I really liked Hanayamata. It was without different. I have watched anime like Food Wars, Samurai Champloo and Cowboy Bebop, the latter two which I watched as the anime first appeared in the West. @Sasazaki Chan I have heard and seen all of those but Hell Girl, I will have to give it a shot. @pierrem70 I have watched that and wasn't a huge fan sadly. I never finished it. @Misari I have seen, Welcome to the NHK, Psycho Pass, Spice and Wolf, Karekano, Gunslinger Girl, Baccano, and I already said, Samurai Champloo, but there are a few there that I need to try and see what I think, so thank you. @Vivi Hyuuga I have seen Violet Ever Garden, but the rest I have not so I will have to check those out. Thank you. 

As it is, I currently don't have as much time to watch anime as when I started this thread, and I'm having a hard time keeping up with this season right now, but when I have time to try and check these out, I for sure will. Though it could be a very long time before that happens. Thanks for all the suggestions.  

• Like 2