Sword Gai: The Animation

Oakmi

Hey all, Kuro here and I just finished watching the above mentioned title yesterday and am curious to know what anyone else who watched it thought of it. Right now its a 12-episode season with the 2nd season to air sometime this year (2018). Oni, a buddy of mine and co-worker had watched it and touted to me that it was the best thing ever to hit the market. So sitting down with extremely high expectations I watched it and felt that it was completely oversold.

So okay, breaking down the whole I found that the entire 12 episode run had some severe pacing issues. At first it was manic and seemed like someone told the production crew that they only had enough money to make 6-episodes, and they were trying to cut corners by utilizing an information dump on us concerning the MC. Then all of a sudden they got told that it was cool, there was enough money for 12-episodes and they slowed the story progression down to a crawl.

I also noticed that the entirety suffered from some form of ADD wherein the focus was constantly lost on the MC and diverted to the new and shiny all the time. Of course as for the MC, plain, dull and lifeless. However, the supporting character that spend the last six episodes with him was awesome. Well developed and tons of growth. Honest...should have made him the MC and left the other one out. Just my feelings.

What was done right IMHO was the art and animation. Enjoyed the style with the sharp colors and tight lines. A very nice clean and satisfying experience visually. Outside of that though, everything else was completely unmemorable and I am very upset with Oni at this moment for allowing me to waste my time on this. Well, who am I kidding, I don't feel that anime is a waste of time as long as there was a hint of enjoyment out of it, and this one did provide that with the artwork. 

Anyway, let me know what you think if you've watched it, if not, take a peep at it and chime in. I'm interested in hearing if everyone see's it the way I did, or if I missed something and they saw a better series than I did. 

Cheers,

-Kuro