Netflix Anime Wave

IAmAVillageFreak

Earlier I did a rating on netflixs sword Gai anime now im doing one on all netflix animes in general. how do you guys think their doing. I would rate them a 6/10. i just think some of the animes they make arent worth making and are pointless to watch. another thing that annoys me is that 75% of the animes they make are about armored robots and dont get me wrong i love robots but i feel like they need more content. the reason do enjoy there animes is because once in a while they come out with good ass ones like Castlevania and The seven Deadly sins.

I think netflix will continue to create more amazing works. One thing though, castlevania and seven deadly sins weren't created by netflix but they bought the rights to them.  If netflix thrives as it is now then i think it will turn into something amazing. They do have a big budget aswell ($8 billion). But i don't want netlfix to ruin the anime industry by using their insanely high budget to kick all the animators from japan. If this happens,then anime will turn to shit (It already is. ;)). 

• Informative 1

Honestly I had super high hopes that with Netflix getting deeper into anime that we'd start seeing a return to the golden day's of anime. However, so far I'm not entirely too impressed with what they've done. Don't get me wrong, have done some good things, but for now I'm a reserved 4 out of 10 reserving the right to adjust the score once they have a few more years under them. 

12 hours ago, Oakmi said:

Honestly I had super high hopes that with Netflix getting deeper into anime that we'd start seeing a return to the golden day's of anime. However, so far I'm not entirely too impressed with what they've done. Don't get me wrong, have done some good things, but for now I'm a reserved 4 out of 10 reserving the right to adjust the score once they have a few more years under them. 

I gotta agree. Netflix has done a couple of good things here and there with anime, but I don't get the same feeling I get when watching Japanese anime. There's no anime on Netflix that has me wanting more, waiting till the next week so I can sit like a five your old aching to see what happens next. If they do that, than they'll have me hooked, until that point I'll just watch what they put out and do a lot of trial and error.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2018 at 3:53 PM, King_Sama said:

I gotta agree. Netflix has done a couple of good things here and there with anime, but I don't get the same feeling I get when watching Japanese anime. There's no anime on Netflix that has me wanting more, waiting till the next week so I can sit like a five your old aching to see what happens next. If they do that, than they'll have me hooked, until that point I'll just watch what they put out and do a lot of trial and error.

Honestly I think that if they would focus their efforts on distribution, licensing and dubbing they'd probably end up better off and have a better reception to their anime selections. That might open up the variety a bit in what the U.S. market gets rather than what the market trends happen to indicate at that time. Which leaves some of us that are more trend setters than followers to have a better selection. 

I wish they would bring more anime to their site while it's airing if they can work out that kind of deal. I also don't like that they are calling some anime a Netflix Original when it's not like Kakegurui or however it's spelled. That's a bad anime to try and pawn off as an original. As for their original's I have to admit to never finishing one of them because they are so samey and yet far to similar to things I watched even before Netflix was around. They have the potential to do something great, they just haven't yet. 

• Like 1

I've only seen a few Netflix titles so far: Kuromukuro, Knights of Sidonia and Violet Evergarden. Out of those three, I really LOVED Knights of Sidonia - the style of animation really suited the awe-inspiring mecha battles against the Gauna.

The other titles I saw were not so memorable. But to be fair many of the titles Netflix funded were for new and original anime titles, not adaptations of previous material.

I do think with Netflix's deep pockets it really does help to fund new anime titles that probably would not have been produced in the first place. It is risky to create new original anime titles due to cost. And at the end of the day they're still produced by the Japanese animation studios, it's not like Netflix is wholly dictating the creative direction of each title.

On 4/18/2018 at 3:09 AM, Optic said:

I've only seen a few Netflix titles so far: Kuromukuro, Knights of Sidonia and Violet Evergarden.

I rather enjoyed the first season of Knights of Sidonia but S2 was rather pathetic as clearly the script writers were changed and the initial vision for the direction of the story changed as well. As for Violet Evergarden, it was plain and dull and brought nothing new to the genre. 

Honestly, I would rather Netflix produce actual original anime without source material than just buy up stories and farm them out to production companies to produce. We see that enough in Japanese produced animes which leads to a piss poor selection of genres to watch, and a extreme re-telling of the same material throughout the different titles. 

Since Netflix prides itself on producing original series, I hope they apply that large budget to the anime the produce and distribute as well. Sure it's a gamble, but can also pay dividends with a large scale box office buster that becomes a cash cow for them and spurs more original content creators to push their ideas to the market rather than relying on the been there done that mentality, thus giving us a wider variety and selection of titles. 

And even if they fail they can use it as a learning experience and just make Netflix even better with anime production/distribution/licensing. 

I'll probably get some dislikes for this, but I thought that Seven Deadly Sins was extremely unoriginal.  It reminded me of every other show in its genre with excessively strong characters (both pro and antagonists) with very static personalities.  Sure, it catered to its intended audience but it was in no way original. 

I did greatly enjoy Knights of Sidonia however. .I thought it to be pretty original,  well crafted, and enjoyable. It was a great Space Opera.

Now, let's take a moment to think. The genre of Seven Deadly is a fighting genre. It has fans that have come to expect certain things (overpowered characters, often extreme personalities, monologues, extreme battles nearly every episode,  omnipotent villians, etc). It is a well established genre with many titles (DBZ universe, Fairy Tail, AoT, etc). If you hold to the expectations, you really will have a difficult time being original  (not impossible, but harder).  Now, Sidonia is a space opera which is not really a major genre.  In comparison, they are fairly uncommon. The expectations are typically, space and spaceships, usually major issue (political, war, etc)...annnnnd that's about it. There is quite a bit of leeway with this genre in how the story is constructed which can lead to more variety and originality.

Therefore, if you really consider it all, if Netflix targeted more of the smaller genres or subgenres they would likely be able to actually create more "original" shows. That being said, the tried and true fighting genre checklist is an easy way to make money.... who can blame them there? A successful business makes a profit after all.

I don't see how Netflix could ever establish a dynamic that would produce good anime at the volume necessary to also be good for a significant amount of profit for a company the size of Netflix.  As a publicly-traded, US company they HAVE to put shareholder value (i.e. profits) first.  A much smaller, anime-only company might be able to focus on producing good anime - especially if it were non-US or privately held and the owners were actually interested in doing it.  But I just can't see a company like Netflix pulling it off.