What Game are You Currently Playing?

drill

I am playing csgo and some minecraft but I am taking a break because it consumes mass amounts of time for me....

No even talking about the stress.

Currently playing through Xenogears and Chrono Cross, because my time machine wasn't working and I felt a need to experience some amazing things that will probably never be replicated. :angel:

• Agree 2

Just reached the Faris ending for Steins;Gate. Truth be told, when I saw people commenting that Suzuha's ending was the best ending out of the character endings (Faris End, Suzuha End, etc.), I found myself agreeing when I landed on the Faris' ending. I knew immediately that I made a mistake as I realized that not sending that D-mail because I want to save everybody was actually an act of cowardice. It felt like a weird ending when I read through it, much more so than Suzuha's ending (at least the consequences Okabe faced in that ending made sense). The weirdness left me wondering just what the heck Faris sent that would have changed the worldline that drastically. And the whole "Faris becomes Okabe's girlfriend" shtick was off-putting, turning the VN into a generic dating sim of sorts, where you choose the girl you like and end up romancing her. Finally, I never felt attracted to Faris. Suzuha was a more appealing character because of her headstrong personality and her tomboyishness, so I wouldn't have minded romance elements in her ending instead. But Faris, no, I just don't feel that way about her. She's kinda cute, I guess, but way too weird (and otaku) to be girlfriend material.

That being said, when she removed her cat-ears, let her hair fall to the side and showed the real face of Rumiho for the first time, that was the first time I felt remotely attracted by her looks. She looked much more lovely that way, filled with innocence. And when I finally reached the final part of the ending, when Okabe decided to suck it up and accept his fate, that was when I really got to like this alternate timeline. That final part made the ending almost better than Suzuha's ending, because it's even more ambiguous whether if Okabe would truly be happy with Faris in that worldline. With Suzuha, according to the word of god (or at least, as stated in the wiki, as reliable as that can be), Okabe lived a happy life with her. With Faris, however, there are a lot of tragedies already confirmed for Okabe, not the least of which was the loss of friendship with his lab members, including his closest family member, Mayuri. So for Okabe to rise up above that terrible fate and deal with it, there was just something more admirable about that worldline than the other would-be outcomes. I mean, killing her dad to save Mayuri just didn't feel as selfless as this. If I'm thrust into the same fate as Okabe, losing all my friends and connection to the world, I would've had a mental breakdown rather than honor the relationship Faris had with me.

So, in conclusion, it's a mixed bag really. 80% of the ending was bad, but it was a significant build-up to that 20% of admiration at the end to really sink in just how much Okabe has lost in this new timeline. Oh well. Onto the next ending!

• Like 1

I just reached Luka's ending in Steins;Gate.

I think, with each ending reached, I'm beginning to respect these conclusions more than the original True End. They are all very well-written resolutions that felt satisfying rather than without a proper pay-off.

And this makes me want to talk more about Faris' ending. I realized that the last time I talked about it, it sounded like I really disliked Faris' ending except the final part, but I feel that is both inaccurate and unfair to that ending. Now that I've taken a few days to really soak in that ending, I feel like I could accept it better now. Okabe cutting off all his friendships to be Faris' husbando was hard to swallow at first, but I feel that's just part of Steins;Gate's charm in showing how life isn't something you could wrap up neatly with a perfect ending, and that there are consequences to bear. If as a reader, having Mayuri and Daru not remember Okabe was too shocking to accept at first, then it must've been doubly difficult for Okabe in the story. And yet, Okabe chose to take responsibility at the end and ensure Faris lives a happy life with him in this new worldline. It was a very satisfying conclusion in that respect.

As for Luka's ending, it has the similar vibe of Okabe taking responsibility for his actions (albeit only after Kurisu's encouragement this time). At first, I thought it was just going to heavily focus on Mayuri for the entire ending, but I like how it ended up and handled Luka's grieve for her friend. This time, she's the one who takes the same stance that I admired Okabe for, to accept her actions of sending that D-mail to become a girl, and to bear the burden and grief and keep living on anyway in a new life with Okabe. As I said, these endings are all very well-written, and I wouldn't have minded if any of these endings were the last episode of the anime (though maybe not Suzuha's ending, as that might have been too open-ended for some audiences). They give Suzuha, Faris, and Luka a very satisfying closure that we could accept, and they have such a realistic perspective on what happiness is, and how to rise above painful grief and other sadness and to keep on living. It's little wonder why a lot of people encourage others to read the VN even if they have seen the anime, because there's a lot of life lessons and values you can take from these endings you'll not see outside of the anime.

• Like 1

I'm finally getting around to playing Episode 4 of The Walking Dead: A New Frontier. I don't know why I didn't play it, but for some reason I never felt compelled to. Now I'm going to go through it and play episode 5 as well to wrap up the season. Here's hoping episodes 4 and 5 were better than 3 was because damn, 3 was bad.

I'm finally getting around to playing Episode 4 of The Walking Dead: A New Frontier. I don't know why I didn't play it, but for some reason I never felt compelled to. Now I'm going to go through it and play episode 5 as well to wrap up the season. Here's hoping episodes 4 and 5 were better than 3 was because damn, 3 was bad.

I gave up on that game after the pathetic "episode 1 and 2 bundle". It was barely a bundle and more like a single episode split into two. This isn't even taking into consideration how disappointing the writing was, of course. Telltale has been my least favorite storytelling game company for a long time now, more often a mockery I use as an example of when Bioware games give choices that don't matter.

I gave up on that game after the pathetic "episode 1 and 2 bundle". It was barely a bundle and more like a single episode split into two. This isn't even taking into consideration how disappointing the writing was, of course. Telltale has been my least favorite storytelling game company for a long time now, more often a mockery I use as an example of when Bioware games give choices that don't matter.

I cannot agree with any of that. After finishing the story, and all that, I honestly think the Walked Dead: The New Frontier is my favorite Telltale game and man do the choices matter, they always have. Deciding who lives and who dies, knowing all too well that someone has to, is incredibly compelling and difficult. The Walking Dead games are some of the best narrative works in the industry, and this season despite not having a great third episode, had some of the best I've ever seen in the series.

• Disagree 1

I cannot agree with any of that. After finishing the story, and all that, I honestly think the Walked Dead: The New Frontier is my favorite Telltale game and man do the choices matter, they always have. Deciding who lives and who dies, knowing all too well that someone has to, is incredibly compelling and difficult. The Walking Dead games are some of the best narrative works in the industry, and this season despite not having a great third episode, had some of the best I've ever seen in the series.

Considering that one of the two people you saved at the very end of season two got wiped out in a single scene at the very start of season 3, a scene that that barely lasted five minutes, I'd still say the choices don't matter. That death in season 3 was a slap in the face, Telltale telling the players, "Hah! Your choice in season 2 was a joke. It didn't matter." It shows what kind of half-ass company Telltale is, probably killing off that particular character for convenience in writing.

The first two seasons had some good writing, I agree. Not amazing, not even great, just good. The second season in particular had weaker character writing compared to the first. A lot of the writing decisions in season two also felt like ass-pulls that came out of the left field, particularly Jane's dumb trick that felt like a forced plot-device.

Edited by Guest
  • Disagree 1

Considering that one of the two people you saved at the very end of season two got wiped out in a single scene at the very start of season 3, a scene that that barely lasted five minutes, I'd still say the choices don't matter. That death in season 3 was a slap in the face, Telltale telling the players, "Hah! Your choice in season 2 was a joke. It didn't matter." It shows what kind of half-ass company Telltale is, probably killing off that particular character for convenience in writing.

The first two seasons had some good writing, I agree. Not amazing, not even great, just good. The second season in particular had weaker character writing compared to the first. A lot of the writing decisions in season two also felt like ass-pulls that came out of the left field, particularly Jane's dumb trick that felt like a forced plot-device.

I do agree partly with the killing of the character that you saved, but that's only one possible ending. If you save one of them when their fighting, you can kill one of them afterwards so if you don't, their death at the start of this season is on the player. With that in mind, that's the only thing you and I agree on and even then it's not completely. I'm not gonna debate it with you though because we'll clearly never seen eye to eye, and I honestly think you're only thinking like that because the once choice ended that way, which is on you. I've said what I want to about it, so I'm done.

• Disagree 1

and I honestly think you're only thinking like that because the once choice ended that way, which is on you.

Nope. Even if it's on me, it's still a stupid writing decision. If they wanted to kill off the character from the start, they shouldn't have given the decision to save them at the end of season 2 anyway. It's exactly like Mass Effect 3's ending, when you refuse to pick any of the stupid tri-flavored options, and then the little shit tells you, "SO BE IT!" What a dumb choice and lazy writing.

And it's not just the fact that they killed them off that's terrible, but just how they killed them off. It was such a lazy way of removing two main characters without giving them proper closure that it felt stupid and unsatisfying to have ever saved them in the first place. [spoiler=Season 2 and 3 plot spoiler]I think Jane's death was the most appalling of the two, as they turned her into an emotionally weaker woman than she was in season 2. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

Edited by Guest

I'm working my way through Samurai Warriors: Spirit of Sanada right now. I guess I'm something of an oddball in that I don't much care for the Dynasty Warriors main games but I DO love the spinoffs (I have Dragon Quest Heroes II sitting on my shelf for...somewhen...) and, in the absence of Sengoku Basara - which has far better character designs even if historically it's painfully inaccurate - this is the next best thing. I'm actually really enjoying it, though! S4 and 4-II were very light on story and not very engaging, but the focus on the Sanada Clan, whilst not ideal (Oda would be far more interesting in my opinion) is making it far more engaging.

Handheld wise, I'm all over the place. I'm trying to compile a 6th Generation Living Dex in Pokemon Omega Ruby - after playing through Pokemon Moon turned out to be the worst experience I'd had with the franchise since Black and cost me EVERYTHING after I stupidly transferred it over via Bank and now it's stuck there - and trying to figure out what to do next. I have a horrible feeling if I play Fire Emblem Echoes I will purchase the overpriced season pass; I'm weak and I want the content in it. I've been dabbling a bit in Monster Hunter Generations again in anticipation for XX's inevitable localisation (I can't Adept Bow at all anymore so I'm going Aerial SnS whilst I get back into it) but I feel like something new...or something really, really old. I never finished Children of Mana on the DS back in the day, and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse has been sitting on my DS for foever now. Maybe I'll pick up one or both of those...

• Like 3

I'm working my way through Samurai Warriors: Spirit of Sanada right now. I guess I'm something of an oddball in that I don't much care for the Dynasty Warriors main games but I DO love the spinoffs (I have Dragon Quest Heroes II sitting on my shelf for...somewhen...) and, in the absence of Sengoku Basara - which has far better character designs even if historically it's painfully inaccurate - this is the next best thing. I'm actually really enjoying it, though! S4 and 4-II were very light on story and not very engaging, but the focus on the Sanada Clan, whilst not ideal (Oda would be far more interesting in my opinion) is making it far more engaging.

Handheld wise, I'm all over the place. I'm trying to compile a 6th Generation Living Dex in Pokemon Omega Ruby - after playing through Pokemon Moon turned out to be the worst experience I'd had with the franchise since Black and cost me EVERYTHING after I stupidly transferred it over via Bank and now it's stuck there - and trying to figure out what to do next. I have a horrible feeling if I play Fire Emblem Echoes I will purchase the overpriced season pass; I'm weak and I want the content in it. I've been dabbling a bit in Monster Hunter Generations again in anticipation for XX's inevitable localisation (I can't Adept Bow at all anymore so I'm going Aerial SnS whilst I get back into it) but I feel like something new...or something really, really old. I never finished Children of Mana on the DS back in the day, and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse has been sitting on my DS for foever now. Maybe I'll pick up one or both of those...

I'm with you on the Dynasty Warriors thing. I love the spin-off titles like Dragon Quest Heroes, although I've yet to finish II because of the stupidly large difficulty spike for the final boss requiring hours upon hours of grinding just to beat it.

That said, I'm actually playing some Pokemon as well, but the original game on my 3DS and I'm using pokemon I rarely do like Vulpix and Fearow.

• Like 1

Finally finishing up Corpse Party on the 3DS. Just have a few more of the "Extra" bonus chapters to go, having completed the main story. The ending was sweet, but like I said in my review, I wish they could've given Sachiko that closure featured in the anime. That was nice.

Now I just have to look forward to NOT being able to play Corpse Party: Blood Drive till much later. lol At least I'll have Steins;Gate 0 to accompany me, along with a few other VNs I haven't completed like Umineko no Naku Koro ni and euphoria. Yes, that euphoria.

So Virtue's Last Reward is a disappointment. Big surprise. The story feels shorter. I reached the first ending in less than 5 hours or less, a few hours short of 999's first ending. The secret files feel mediocre and pointless. The puzzle rooms have none of the character dialogue scenes you got in 999. The puzzle rooms also feel more sparse and fewer. What I mean is I only had two puzzle rooms before I reached the ending, which is a lot fewer than 999 again.

This feels more like a visual novel than an actual puzzle game, and even then, it's not even a great visual novel. I'm probably jumping the gun and judging it too soon since I'm only on my first playthrough and first ending, but this isn't a very good first impression nonetheless.

I just got the Bad End of Steins;Gate 0 (there's only one)... and holy s***. Depressing doesn't even begin to describe it. It's literally Hell itself (as its appropriately named chapter, "Gehenna’s Stigma" will tell you; Gehenna being Hebrew Hell, to over-simplify it).

This is my first ending, and initially, I was worried that it might ruin the experience, because it revealed so much plot-details. But now that I think about it, I think it's the best beginning to the story, and it's best if everyone get this ending first IMO, as it tells you what the stakes are.

Furthermore, I feel the need to reemphasize how much more satisfying the first Steins;Gate's True End would feel if you play this game before reading the final chapter of the True End (Chapter 11), or at least, just before the part of the story when Steins;Gate 0 spins off from in the prologue.

An amazing start to the story. Can't wait for the other routes!

Edited by Guest

I play numerous games, all PC though.

To name a few, Factorio, GTA5, Watch Dogs 2, Tomb Raider, Minecraft, and many others, I'm on Discord fyi. Same name if you'd like to add me.

Edited by Guest

I'm mostly playing Animal Crossing New Leaf. I also play HotS and Mechwarrior online. Sometimes Breath of the Wild. I've become the worst gamer ever. >_< Everyone at my job still consider me the gamer of the company though.

• Like 1