Tokyo ESP

Oakmi

Hey all Kuro here, and just wanted to talk a bit about Tokyo ESP since I just finished watching the series. 

So a buddy of mine tells me "Dude, got to watch this is really good, I mean super good anime!". He wouldn't stop talking about it so I finally caved and watched it. The following is an account of my reaction, though I would also love to hear from anyone else who happened to see it. Mind you, I may spill a spoiler so beware, and this might actually count as a tiny review but overall it should be about a 1000 word dissertation...kidding...:D

Released summer of 2014 it really isn't new on the circuit but I suppose to me it was since I'm a dubber and not a purist when it comes to my shows. I will say that really it left much to be desired and partially that was not so much of the concept not really being anything new, but the whole story was written in a way that seemed really, well lacking I guess for the need of a better word. The main character was hard to take seriously because of the way she was introduced to us in episode one (Wanted to drop a spoiler here and almost did so I'll just hint, had to due with her state, her pose, and her genitalia). The other main lead was really kind of weak and had no presence so neither one made any connection with me. 

Really the only character that I did make a connection with was Minami, which you know that she must have been written good since I remember her name but not the two leads....ahem, keeping this short the other thing that was really bad in my opinion was the art and animation. Xebec was the studio who made it and let me tell you, the must have brought out the "D" team for this. Holy crow man, the art was really inconsistent through the entire run as though five different artist all drew different aspects of the characters then on the next scene, changed the lineup and five new people jumped in. 

Really, it was noticeable that much. Anyway, it wasn't all bad and I don't want people to sit there and say "Kuro, it couldn't have been that bad right?". Well in actuality it wasn't, just the small details in the art, direction, production, cinematography, that were errant just kept adding up, coupled with the poor writing made the whole watch a very "Meh" moment. However, the ending, and I mean the five minutes prior to the ending in episode 12, was awesome, and actually made me want to watch more. Then they ruined it by making the ending cheesy and crappy. 

Overall, I felt it wasn't what my buddy hyped it to be, and yeah I'm quite the finder of errors but can overlook them if the story is good, couldn't quite do that this time. There were too many story breaking moments throughout the short run, and the cliff hanger ending, well...really wasn't all that cliff hanging...

So let me know what you all thought. Agree, disagree, or want to tell me to take a long walk off a short pier...go right ahead. If there's a S2 I can only hope they get their crap together for it and bring us a whopper of a production, but...well honestly, doubt this one made a big enough splash for that, but then...I've been wrong before...

Thanks for reading and cheers!