What Music Player Do You Use?

drill

So, I was just wondering what music player everyone else uses. I typically go around replacing all of my applications, and am currently using MusicBee. MusicBee is pretty nice as it organizes my music well, works well with Aero, has a fade in/out feature, and just plays music at a high quality.

I used to use one called Winamp before they were bought out by Radionomy. I loved Winamp because it was so customisable in appearance and had a solid library system. Development seems to be pretty slow... which is unfortunate as I really liked it for the Gracenote integration (auto-tag song metadata based on audio data).

an_winamp.thumb.jpg.266f2d2601be243a7a086aa731fd6428.jpg

These days I'm using foobar2000. Nowhere near as nice looking but I need FLAC support as I make a local copy of my audio anime/Vocaloid CDs in that format. ^_^

@Optic: I'm pretty sure that MusicBee plays FLAC files, so you might want to try that out (it looks WAY nicer than foobar2000 as well ;))

So far I like it, it seems to autodownload album art really well and also supports replygain to help normalise those audio levels which was something I think Winamp did really well.

Wonder if there are any anime themes to go with it? ^_^

• 6 months later...

After using Linux for a while, and unable to use Musicbee, I've finally found my way around to Banshee. It's a pretty good music player, even plays videos which is nice since I download all my music as mp4s from Youtube. Not too much to say about it other than it seems to work far better under Gnome than KDE.

GOM audio. The only reason I use it is because it's the only music player that is compatible with my jury-rigged audio set-up. I'm outputting my audio via USB to my DDJ-SR. It don't even make no none sense that it works. But it do.

That sounds like an interesting setup @Karen. With the DDJ-SR do you DJ or do audio mixing?

It's interesting to say the least. It gives me troubles for most programs, so I end up having to actually send my audio through my TV via HDMI, then using an L/R channel to 3.5mm splitter cable, and I plug my headphones into that. It's all very silly, I've got to deal with it because the jack on my laptop broke. My DDJ-SR also has a 1/4" microphone jack, which I use with my SM57 when I need it. The DDJ-SR shows up as a recording device as well, so I end up using it to record stuff. The whole thing is weird and frustrating, but I don't have the money for the proper devices I need, so I can't complain while I at least have something.

But yeah, I use it to DJ. I got it as a high school graduation present, even though I had absolutely 0 DJing experience. For some reason I was a natural at it. I've been in a few online radio shows/events already, even though I've had it for a single year. There's another one within the next week and then another one next month that I'm going to be in, as well. Unfortunately I don't play the kind of music you'd find at a normal club, so I can't really use it to make money by performing live.

• Informative 1

• 1 month later...

Ehm... I've migrated to iTunes. Also ripping my audio CDs to ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) - very similar to FLAC. And converting my old FLACs to ALAC.

I figure it was the best way to go as my iPhone doesn't support FLAC natively and I didn't really want to have two versions of my music library. Basically, less effort this way. And every other player supports ALAC too so no loss there.

iTunes looks pretty good these days too:

itunes-anime-osts.thumb.jpg.91e9ad3de9cc71cfa8fce772eec98f17.jpg

The whole thing is weird and frustrating, but I don't have the money for the proper devices I need, so I can't complain while I at least have something.

Thanks for the explanation. I think as long as there's no annoying buzz, hum or hissing in the way you've wired it up then it should work for now. ;)

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...