Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online

Optic

[mal type=anime id=36475]

I gave the first episode a go and unfortunately found it too bland for my liking so probably won't be continuing it.

Karen's pink, short avatar though is really cute. Found it hilarious when she referred to her P-90 weapon as "P-chan" :P

Overall I found the depiction of Gun Gale Online to be quite bland by this studio. So many stationary scenes, it really reduced the tension of many of the scenes in what should have been a dynamic world (which I felt Sword Art Online II did quite well for GGO - even if Kirito's CQB blades were over the top at times).

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I absolutely didn't enjoy the original SAO nor SAO2. I go so far as to say it is an example of failed potential. With that said this one, GGO is sort of different.

Don't get me wrong it's still a SAO show. The main character is over powered (to a lesser extent than the original though), and the game as a real video game would be so ridiculous. But the slice of elements are sort of good for a change.

It may not be one of my favorite anime of the season, nor watching it will make me a 'better person'. But I recommend almost anyone to watch it be cause it is so damn enjoyable.

P.S I'm new here 😊

While I wouldn't particularly call myself a fan of isekai, the persistence of SAO utterly astounds me. I remember watching the first few episodes of the first series online and I was flabbergasted by how quickly the show's narrative approach undermined its characters, its concept and all of the possible depth that could have been found therein. Gun Gale Online just comes off as a really pointless expansion on SAO II's increasingly ludicrous tendencies to double down on all of the mistakes Sword Art Online has made since its beginnings. I seriously don't get who the audience for this would even be. Fans of MMOs? Well, that would be strange considering how little this show even attempts to emulate the MMO experience. 

• 3 weeks later...

It's honestly quite good. And I despise the mainline SAO stuff.

Sure, it may not be some inventive masterpiece that's reinventing the genre and saving anime, but it IS an enjoyable show. Unlike the original SAO, it has characters with solid themes and realistic motivations that they stick to rather well. Hell, most of the players in this SAO play because it's simply a game to have fun in. And Pitohui is probably the most grounded villain we've ever gotten out of SAO. Doesn't go around killing people IRL as they kill people in-game. Doesn't hijack an entire game and lock people inside of it to fend for their lives under the threat of microwaving their brains. She's simply psychotic and wishes for the thrill of death, and as such, will kill herself if she dies in the game. Well, M got dragged into that too, but that was probably his fault.

It's not without its fun OP moments, but it hasn't really done that to the extent of the mainline series at all. They obviously can't have LLENN die in the game until the finale perhaps, so everything up to that point makes sense that she would win, but all things considered, she only decimates fodder teams that nobody gives a damn about.

https://www.sakugabooru.com/data/792baf1e275a9f3cae8ded4d36b2cf42.mp4

She's strong, but not broken about it, basically. And it has been stated that she's simply a good player via practice and levelling and whatnot if I'm not mistaken. Not to mention she has a ton of personality to her. Her friend with the grenade launchers is great too.

I also find it hilarious how they keep throwing jabs at the mainline series. Makes sense since the only reason this one exists is because the director for AltGGO saw SAO 2 and said "Bitch, I can do that better."

So he did.