Introductions, Updates and Feedback moved to new AF Official Lounge Club

Optic

Hi everyone,

I have consolidated the following AF forums into a new Club called AF Official Lounge:

• Updates
  • Introductions
  • Feedback & Support
  • Guidelines

This Club will be acting as a landing page for new members and will also consolidate our Guidelines in there (which I am in the process of streamlining).

Please continue to make our newest members welcome. :)

Any issues or feedback do let me know as usual.

• Like 2

hey @Optic saw a new button had to click on it and here I am :)

anyways more as to why I'm posting tho

I'm curious , that pic you have in your post

isn't that Angela Balzac from the Expelled from Paradise series ?

she looks familiar but the scene doesn't from what I recall in the series

I'm going to be brutally honest, I do not like that so many different sub-forums have been grouped into one club like this, and in fact I find it extremely frustrating. I don't like seeing that tab looming over every page I click, I don't like updates aren't going to be put in their own threads so that they are easy to access, and I outright hate that any feedback we want to give now feels like it has to be done in a club. I also hate that this was done with what feels like no consultation with anyone here publicly, and that's being treated like a lounge when it feels like a requirement. Clubs are supposed to be something people join of their own volition, not because they want to say hi to people in a forum they just joined or because they have an issue with something that happened on the forum like a bug or error that's obviously not supposed to be there. This is a bad idea in my opinion, and I feel like it should be removed immediately and I request that from now on when you have an idea like this Optic that you do what you used to and ask everyone here what they think about an idea you have before forcing it on them.  

Hi @RepentantSky

Thanks for your honest feedback.

I feel there has been a grave misunderstanding and feel the amount of hate is a bit harsh.

10 hours ago, RepentantSky said:

I do not like that so many different sub-forums have been grouped into one club like this, and in fact I find it extremely frustrating.

I don't like updates aren't going to be put in their own threads so that they are easy to access, and I outright hate that any feedback we want to give now feels like it has to be done in a club.

These sub-forums are still forums in their own right. Just as you have found this topic, new topics and replies will still appear on the front page (as part of the earlier change to expose all public/open clubs on the front page).  If you don't want to view each forum via tabs on this club, you can still filter them on the front page if you look underneath "Club Forums" - it is a little cluttered at the moment but that is being cleaned up and worked on to ensure only active clubs are visible on the front page.

I don't like seeing that tab looming over every page I click,

I agree this could be better refined and am still evaluating different placement locations.

I also hate that this was done with what feels like no consultation with anyone here publicly, and that's being treated like a lounge when it feels like a requirement. Clubs are supposed to be something people join of their own volition, not because they want to say hi to people in a forum they just joined or because they have an issue with something that happened on the forum like a bug or error that's obviously not supposed to be there.

Clubs have different types. This particular club is a "Public" one.

There is absolutely no requirement to "join it" in order to create topics within each of the sub-forums/tabs.

The intention of moving the official AnimeForums.net sub-forums into a "club" is to make it easier for those new to forums to Introduce themselves, provide feedback and find our guidelines easier. The Guidelines tab is now actually a "Blog" so it will be article based - a better match than discussion topics given the nature of guidelines.

This is a bad idea in my opinion, and I feel like it should be removed immediately and I request that from now on when you have an idea like this Optic that you do what you used to and ask everyone here what they think about an idea you have before forcing it on them.  

Common feedback we get is that it's not obvious to newcomers how to use a forum, especially if they haven't ever used a forum before. Another common complaint we get is activity, each of the sections of AF still feel like islands in isolation, especially the Clubs. These recent changes were made to help bring activity from Clubs onto the front page, and creating a nicer on-boarding experience, whilst consolidating our guidelines under  one umbrella instead of separate topics.

Each of the changes I make have always the best of intentions in helping to improve the experience of all our members both in the short-term and in the long-term. I'm sorry you feel this way, but I only ask you give it a chance. If it doesn't work out then I am open to reverting the changes.