Creating an AMV

Optic

Have you ever made an AMV (anime music video) before?

What were the challenges you encountered when making one?

I'm thinking of making one, some things I've considered:

• Finding the right song to match the story or theme (fast-paced, or more slow based)
  • Trying not to use too many talking scenes, or be repetitive
  • Special effects and transitions
  • Timing, timing, timing

Would be curious to hear your thoughts.

I haven't, but I think it would be an interesting experience. Honestly, I doubt I could choose from all the scenes available from the anime. I would probably try to find an easy one where the items in the song actually appear in the anime, much like here. Also, personally, I think it would be much easier to do an AMV with a slow song on a slice of life anime, rather than a fast song on an action anime. As for transitions, I really don't care whether they are there or not, but if its not done well, its probably best not to have any at all. Yep, those are my thoughts, now you have me interested, and I might try an AMV myself if I get the time.

• Like 1

I've made one before on Sony Vegas. There are lots of tutorials around the web for special effects and timing tricks so if you can gather up alot of them, your skills can easily improve. The hardest part is picking a good song; IMO.

• Informative 1

I think what's most important would be the theme/story you want your mv to convey.

Like for example if it's about friendship, then all your shots chosen would be based on that. Your song choice and how you cut or time your shots would all be according to the mood and story you want your audience to experience.

Next, the good thing about music videos is that it doesn't have to make sense 100% of the time. So it's good to experiment what works and what doesn't even if it's not exactly logical.

• Informative 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks all for the feedback and thoughts.

I have another AMV idea in mind (will be my second Angel Beats one). My first one was action oriented, this time around I'd love to do a more slower paced one to better fit the spirit of the emotional scenes in Angel Beats.

Moved to Technology section.

• 3 weeks later...

I have made a few and am close with a group of editors that have sadly stopped working a few years ago but what i do know is that you mus always concentrate your impact shots with the drums and usually transitions work best on the base that said you need to find a song that calls out to you and if you are doing a fight amv you will want to pick a fight that has an impact on you , the most important thing is not to rush it as it takes time and a lot of hard work the I personally slower paced amv's harder as you need to find scenes that are slow enough to fit the fast paced ones may take longer but in the end they turn out easier as they have a lot of room to work with the main problem with the fast pace is the timing on your transitions which you will soon get a hold of and dont forget that impact scenes can be used as 'fillers by doubling the *pre-punch (when a character is about to attack their motion before can be repeated to enhance the effect of the attack making it more of a focal point

• Informative 1

Very good pointers and insight Yuuki, thank you for sharing. :)

I think I agree with you on slow paced AMVs being harder, as there is greater risk of boring the viewer if the chosen scenes don't have impact or don't match the song when compared to an action AMV where there is more leniency for that.

• Friendly 1

Always happy to help , and here's some info on slower amv's for if anyone needs to use it.

Many people do not realize about slower amv's is that most of the time the scenes that you'll have to use are still shots and for the main part you'll have to edit them so that they have some movement so that they draw the viewer more and create a sense of flow, although still shots have their advantages too its they can serve to create their own type of impact if used in conjunction with the motion shots (often used for moments that cause shock or surprise).

If I was able to help anyone please don't hesitate to send your amv's to me I would love to view them (if you don't mind that is)