What was your first anime ??

NG-Anime

Naruto, hate me all you want I once called anime. CARTOON...

I know, I was a child back then.. but one calling anime, cartoon is just primitive..

MZHtlYM.jpg

1 minute ago, KeyDee said:

Naruto, hate me all you want I once called anime. CARTOON...

I know, I was a child back then.. but one calling anime, cartoon is just primitive..

MZHtlYM.jpg

Well....anime is Japanese for cartoon...if I'm not mistaken.

Just now, Ryuji said:

uhh yeah hahhaahha, but when I say cartoon what I meant is American Cartoon.. thanks for reminding me though.. It actually means "animation" though..

1 hour ago, Ryuji said:

1 hour ago, KeyDee said:

uhh yeah hahhaahha, but when I say cartoon what I meant is American Cartoon.. thanks for reminding me though.. It actually means "animation" though..

car·toon
[kärˈto͞on]
NOUN
  1. a simple drawing showing the features of its subjects in a humorously exaggerated way, especially a satirical one in a newspaper or magazine.
  2. a motion picture using animation techniques to photograph a sequence of drawings rather than real people or objects.
A cartoon is a type of illustration, possibly animated, typically in a non-realistic or semi-realistic style. The specific meaning has evolved over time, but the modern usage usually refers to either: an image or series of images intended for satire, caricature, or humor; or a motion picture that relies on a sequence of illustrations for its animation.

an·i·me
[ˈanəˌmā]
NOUN
  1. a style of Japanese film and television animation, typically aimed at adults as well as children.Compare with manga
Anime is a style of hand-drawn and computer animation originating in, and commonly associated with, Japan. The word anime is the Japanese term for animation, which means all forms of animated media.

an·i·ma·tion
[ˌanəˈmāSH(ə)n]
NOUN
  1. the state of being full of life or vigor; liveliness.
    "they started talking with animation"
  2. the technique of photographing successive drawings or positions of puppets or models to create an illusion of movement when the movie is shown as a sequence.
mov·ie
[ˈmo͞ovē]
NOUN
NORTH AMERICAN
  1. a story or event recorded by a camera as a set of moving images and shown in a theater or on television; a motion picture.
is a movie an animation of still pictures ?
and is an actor a movie's model/puppet ?

to me to say a cartoon and an anime is the same is like saying "heavy metal" and "country and western" music are the same juct coz their both music
and if that's the case then anime and cartoons and movies are all the same as their all visual still shot animated media

oh and to answer this threads original question

I do believe my first was a free to air broadcast of Neon Genesis Evangelion I stumbles across late one nite on tv here and imidiately loved it and had to watch it

Edited by Wodahs
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...

Crap!  I can't remember that far back!  :D

If we're talking actual japanese anime then it was probably Space Battleship Yamato (aka Star Blazers, as it was known here in the US), maybe Mazinger.  Might have been Galaxy Express, but I think that was a few years later.  I know I saw them all at one time or another.  I just can't recall which came first.  These would have been the dubbed/americanized versions of course.  I didn't really get into subs until after the internet was invented and we got cheap access to subtitled content direct from Japan, which would have been in the mid-to-late 80s at the earliest.

Edited by efaardvark
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

For me it all started with the Iscandar & Comet Empire arcs of Star Blazers which forever changed my perceptions of what animation could be like. Was so into it and I would actually set my alarm when school was out for the summer just to watch it & then go back to bed afterwards because it was on at like 5 or 6 am. Watched all the syndicated stuff like Battle of the Planets, Tranzor Z, Voltron, Robotech, Sailor Moon, Pokemon, etc.  I missed out on Toonami because I didn't have cable back then. Started buying anime VHS tapes in the 90's (the ADV/Suncoast era). Not exactly sure what my first subtitled anime purchase was, but pretty sure it was either Ranma 1/2, Project A-ko or Devil Hunter Yohko. I actually got away from anime for awhile when the emphasis shifted over to streaming since I didn't use to have a reliable internet connection. But since moving a couple years back, I've gotten back into it in a big way. Some of my more recent faves are My Hero Academia, Yuru Camp & Konosuba.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 2

I grew up watching Pokemon and Yu Gi Oh, and at one point I remember watching Dinosaur King at a young age.  I was not aware that these were anime and simply referred to them as cartoons.  The first anime I saw when I was aware of anime's existence was Death Note which made me want to watch more and more anime.

5 minutes ago, Kuramura said:

I grew up watching Pokemon and Yu Gi Oh, and at one point I remember watching Dinosaur King at a young age.  I was not aware that these were anime and simply referred to them as cartoons.  The first anime I saw when I was aware of anime's existence was Death Note which made me want to watch more and more anime.

Pokemon, and Yu-Gi-Oh were some of my first too though in the case of Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters I prefer it to Pokemon in anime terms anyway. Either way those are awesome first animes to have.

Well, when I was little, I used to see all kinds of anime (I did not even knew what anime was) like Pokemon. But the first anime I think was Attack on titan, in fifth grade only because a friend suggested that I see it, and then I fell in love with the wonderful thing called anime.

2 hours ago, TanyaThe Evil said:

Speed Racer

Yes!  That was another early one.  Also Gatchaman.  Those also had the advantage of having a much wider distribution.  For a long time the only place that had much anime was west coast US.. mainly California.  I remember when my family moved to Alabama (from Los Angeles, CA) nobody had ever heard of "anime".  Had to make do with Bugs Bunny, Tom and Jerry, etc.  :D

• Like 1

It all started with Sailor Moon and DB. The real OGs. I mean obviously, anime existed before those two series. Like Saint Saya and Robotech...but I didn't discover those until later on. 

• Winner 1

16 hours ago, Persona said:

It all started with Sailor Moon and DB. The real OGs. I mean obviously, anime existed before those two series. Like Saint Saya and Robotech...but I didn't discover those until later on. 

Sailor Moon is a awesome one to start with honestly even better then DB in a lot of ways. It was my second after DB though I think Sailor Moon gives a much better example of a more typical anime then DB therefore a better introduction into the anime fandom.

My first was sonic X  I never was that big of a fan ,but a few years later It was on tv ,and I said "hey I wanna see more" then i was sucked into the void of what is known as anime . Soon I saw popular anime show like cory in the house, shreak 2 and Avatar the last air bender . 😁

On 11/18/2018 at 11:56 AM, Comvex said:

cory in the house

I know I'm just feeding the troll here (maybe it'll choke on it), but did you know there was a (DS) video game of CitH too?  smh

Edited by efaardvark

5 hours ago, efaardvark said:

I know I'm just feeding the troll here (maybe it'll choke on it), but did you know there was a (DS) video game of CitH too?  smh

I played it before oddly enough ,and honestly the game wasn't that bad... 

GO CORY GO CORY , NOW LISTEN UP ;)